Ford canceling plans for $1.6 billion plant in Mexico, investing $700 million in Michigan expansion

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford Motor said on Tuesday it plans to cancel production of a new plant in Mexico, and instead invest $700 million in Flat Rock, Michigan.

The U.S. auto giant said on Tuesday it will end plans for a $1.6 billion plant in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, and make expansions to its plant in the U.S. Ford added it will build its next-generation Focus at an existing plant in Hermosillo, Mexico, to improve company profitability.

A high level source within Ford stressed Trump had nothing to do with their decision to expand production and hire more employees, NBC News reports.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/03/ford...00-million-in-michigan-expansion-instead.html

Wonder what made them change their mind?

Edit: Fixed link.

Would also hope this doesn't get political.

Last edited:

helloWorld

Established Member
Not being political at all.

Wasn't the common consensus that a plant in Mexico would be a good idea though because you would have workers making products whom actually were happy to have a job versus workers here in America not really caring about the product because they were union workers and were practically guaranteed a job.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The link didn't work for me, but I am certain they are rethinking their strategy with the possibility of an import tax being added to cars coming from mexico.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Not being political at all.

Wasn't the common consensus that a plant in Mexico would be a good idea though because you would have workers making products whom actually were happy to have a job versus workers here in America not really caring about the product because they were union workers and were practically guaranteed a job.

Mexico has cheaper labor, and cheaper taxes for businesses which is especially good for low profit margin products like our cheap compact cars. Especially when the cars get shipped world wide.

You can get a decent quality product through mexican plants, if the company spends the time and money to do the training right.

We have actually received parts that were made wrong in mexico because the translation in instructions from english to spanish was wrong. So there is a lot of hurdles, but can save the company a lot of money.

scott_0

Established Member
good job Democrats! you succeeded!.......errrrr wait........

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge on Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
OP asked that this not get political. I can see a little, bit lets not make it full blown.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Why do you guys seem bummed? We want jobs back in America and that's exactly whats happening.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Unions need to be reigned in some, sure, but it's hard to see much wrong with keeping jobs in/bringing jobs back to America. Funny how much has changed since November 8 and no offices have even changed hands yet.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Why do you guys seem bummed? We want jobs back in America and that's exactly whats happening.

I don't think anyone is "bummed" about it. Creating jobs in this country is a great thing. There are pros and cons, just like everything else though.

Machdup1

Established Member
Why move to Mexico, when the immigrant labor force (legal and otherwise) are already here and waiting for jobs? Just saying.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Why move to Mexico, when the immigrant labor force (legal and otherwise) are already here and waiting for jobs? Just saying.

Reducing labor costs by 90% is pretty tempting. I think average manufacturing wages in Mexico is less than $3 an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
And this is why I buy primarily Ford products. Now hopefully the Lazy union ****s don't mess this up

phillycobra99

Established Member
Trump also took aim at GM tweeting "General Motors is sending Mexican made model of Chevy Cruze to U.S. car dealers-tax free across border. Make in U.S.A.or pay big border tax!"

Blown 89

Established Member
Trump also took aim at GM tweeting "General Motors is sending Mexican made model of Chevy Cruze to U.S. car dealers-tax free across border. Make in U.S.A.or pay big border tax!"
I think they should. I get hammered any time I send or receive anything over the border.

nxhappy

Established Member
I think it's great for our economy....Michigan needs more business

and yes, Trump is right about international import/export....we're not charging these countries enough tax, and we are getting shafted

you should see the duties and taxes my customers pay for exported goods....if other countries do it, WE should too !

Users who are viewing this thread