Focus RS or STi

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
So I have a chance to buy a 2016 Focus RS with 900 miles on it used for $500 off original sticker price. Or I wait and order a new body style 2018 Sti in the spring / summer for my dealer cost.

RS is a base model nitrous blue with a sticker of about $37,500. If I do the Sti I'll be able to get a roof, nav, and winter package for probably the same price maybe a bit less.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Yeah, but then I got to wait months and months for it. I don't think dealers are pricing them at msrp. I talked to a Ford dealer in my auto group and he said they got one allocation, the guy ordered in February AND HE'S STILL WAITING FOR IT.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Yeah, but then I got to wait months and months for it. I don't think dealers are pricing them at msrp.

Maybe not in your area but I could of bought a 2016 RS from my dealer outside of Baltimore back in August at MSRP but not buying one yet and not sure when. Check Ford dealers in a 100 mile area of Cleveland and you might find one at MSRP.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
New vs used with 900 miles on it is not a big deal for me. It's the really long wait for an order if I do find one for msrp. If I order and have to wait 6 months I'll just order a Sti in the spring and only wait 10 weeks for it.

In other words if I'm gonna wait to take delivery of a car 6 months from now I'm doing a new body style Sti at net cost and not retail. BUT being able to get a RS NOW at a slight discount is appealing.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
RS. If you want to mod then STI is going to be probably the single worst vehicle as far as getting returns on your dollar.

Voltwings

Established Member
What are your plans for the car? If leaving it stock i guess get the one that is more comfortable / reliable. If you plan on modding, i think the RS is probably more mod friendly with the whole ring lands not exploding and all... although im sure a modded STI is still plenty fun.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
RS. If you want to mod then STI is going to be probably the single worst vehicle as far as getting returns on your dollar.
Plan on leaving it mostly stock. Using it as my daily / backup family vehicle.....whichever car I choose.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Do you need the car now? It sounds like you really want the STI. If you don't need one now, then save your money and test drive the two once the STI is out. Then you can decide if it's worth spending a little extra for the RS and by then, you'll have more money to put down and plenty will be for sale.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Do you need the car now? It sounds like you really want the STI. If you don't need one now, then save your money and test drive the two once the STI is out. Then you can decide if it's worth spending a little extra for the RS and by then, you'll have more money to put down and plenty will be for sale.
Don't need a car now. I'll be putting my paid off trade in down ($8,000).....the longer I wait the less it's worth.

I like the RS because it's a hatchback, more exclusive, and looks really cool. I like the Sti because it's a slightly better bang for the $$$ and will be equipped more the way I want it.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Don't need a car now. I'll be putting my paid off trade in down ($8,000).....the longer I wait the less it's worth.

I like the RS because it's a hatchback, more exclusive, and looks really cool. I like the Sti because it's a slightly better bang for the $$$ and will be equipped more the way I want it.

Isn't the STi more expensive (msrp) and down on power? And the STi still runs the old engines that are prone to suffer from ringland failures.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Isn't the STi more expensive (msrp) and down on power? And the STi still runs the old engines that are prone to suffer from ringland failures.
Sti is having a redesign with new engine and platform next year. I was gonna wait for that cause the RS is pretty much unattainable for a good deal.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Nowhere to you mention how each drives/feels. That should be a major consideration in your decision. You've driven both an RS and an STi, right? If not, you really need to before making your decision.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Nowhere to you mention how each drives/feels. That should be a major consideration in your decision. You've driven both an RS and an STi, right? If not, you really need to before making your decision.
I have driven the Sti plenty but not a 2018 obviously. I'll drive the RS today when it comes it. I have an idea how these cars drive. Working at a car dealer I'm in and out of many different cars.

Users who are viewing this thread