Focus RS or STi

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
RS all day everyday.

Definitely, I'm actually going to be ordering one in December or January, I have watched a lot of review videos of the RS and everyone loves them, and they already tested the RS vs the STI and the RS kills it, I'm sure the 18 sti will be a much better match, but I'm a Ford guy so I'll still buy the RS.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
That seems to be the consensus. You just can't get these cars. I'm strongly considering taking this one $500 off sticker today.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The new STi isn't out yet so I obviously can't comment on that but I will give you a little bit of insight for the RS, as I have one.

I've got about 3,000 miles on mine now and 4 or 5 track days.

I'll just get this out of the way first, it's an incredible car.

For practicality, it does do fairly well. The other weekend we loaded up myself, my best friend, his gf and my gf into the car with 2 coolers, 4 bags (one of them was surprisingly big for a 2 day weekend...), food and crutches. It's no megacab dodge in terms of cabin space but we all made it with minor complaint.

The ride is firm, but it's not as firm as a Focus ST or a Fiesta ST in normal mode, if you put the dampers into sport mode I hope you enjoy jiggling.

I also love the seats.

The AWD system is incredible with the torque vectoring, and launch control is a blast. It hits a lot harder than I would have expected.

Downsides:
You have to baby this car to get near 30mpg, the ST could do it pretty easily but this power train package and aero are aggressive and it drinks fuel accordingly. Expect 23 for normal, mixed driving.

There is a rattle in the B pillar, most cars have this, and it's a terrible rattle. I've somewhat fixed mine but it's still there.

Sync 3 has been a let down.

Turning radius is awful.

This could be a pro or a con but it gets attention, a lot of it. You'll probably get more attention in this than you do in your Cobra. You feel like a celebrity, and maybe it's just my area, but I'm constantly getting thumbs up, challenges to race, approached at gas stations, etc. I'm sure as the car gets older and more hit the road it will slow down but it's really surprising.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
This is a tough one, and I call it a toss up, as I've owned a WRX in the past. If you want different, get the RS. If you want something that has a huge aftermarket and tech support system, then Sti.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
You sure the rattling isn't just a seat belt buckle rattling against the door? Usually when I notice a rattling in my 2010 focus with 150k miles, its either the buckle hitting the door, or something rattling in the door pocket.

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
You sure the rattling isn't just a seat belt buckle rattling against the door? Usually when I notice a rattling in my 2010 focus with 150k miles, its either the buckle hitting the door, or something rattling in the door pocket.

10000% positive.

I think with all the extra bracing and firm suspension on this car, it puts a lot more stress on the B pillars that expected. If you pull the weather stripping from the door and start knocking on it where the plates were cold welded together, you can some times find a rattle. I messed with it for 3 nights to get it to a level that was ok, I stuck a plastic shim between the plates to open them up a little and knocked small pieces of kydex in there with a screwdriver, that removed 95% of it.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Focus RS

I see STi and WRX everywhere, I cant even tell the difference. Once the WRX has a wing they look the friggen same.

Maybe its where I live, but almost every street has a WRX STI or two.

blk02edge

Established Member
I have zero experience with either but the RS would be the easy decision for me. I do like sti's they just don't seem special to me.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Honestly I would hold out to at least see if they drop any news on the STi in the near future. I wouldn't ever consider one if it continues to use the EJ engine. If it comes with an FA (a 2.3 would be awesome) I'd buy it up. My last WRX with the FA and I was able to reliably push 350 to the wheels on stock turbo and never had an issue. It was capable of much more if I wanted to risk it. But waiting could also allow you to find a cheaper RS. People are going to end up getting bored with them and sell them. I don't think they will go up in value, highly doubt it.

Last edited:

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Yeah, but then I got to wait months and months for it. I don't think dealers are pricing them at msrp.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

They are. Find one on the lot. Why is this one for sale already with 900 miles? You aren't getting much of a discount buying used considering it has 900 miles and the warranty is partly used.

oxfordcobra3

Established Member
So I have a chance to buy a 2016 Focus RS with 900 miles on it used for $500 off original sticker price. Or I wait and order a new body style 2018 Sti in the spring / summer for my dealer cost.

RS is a base model nitrous blue with a sticker of about $37,500. If I do the Sti I'll be able to get a roof, nav, and winter package for probably the same price maybe a bit less.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
If I were you, I'd get the Focus RS. The STI is a great car but subaru has not made any changes to the motor or trans since 2004. It's an outdated motor.
Also I think there is a Focus RS for sale at Mac Haik Ford in Dallas, TX. It's blue saw it about a week ago. Hope this helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread