Ecoboost cam phaser rattle experts, step inside...

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
They have new phasers that fix the issue. The issue effected 17's thru early 19's. It will not matter what you do for oil changes or how often they will fail.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m pretty sure it’s more of an oil pressure build up issue. Oil doesn’t get to the phasers quick enough.

Installing a pressurized pre-lube oiler system would eliminate the oil pressure build up issue.

I’m getting my truck looked at by the dealer tomorrow. The rattle is constant every start almost now. Used to not be as bad, even when cold.

JaCobro

Established Member
Premium Member
Found this video. He does confirm it’s a pressure issue on start up that eventually breaks the lock out pin that’s supposed to keep it from moving till pressure builds up.

Make sure you get the new part that he says has eliminated this issue so far.

The part numbers in his video description.
Old Style Intake: HL3Z-6256-CD
Old Style Exhaust: HL3Z-6C525-CD
New Style Intake: ML3Z-6256-A
New Style Exhaust: ML3Z-6C525-A

ArabianOak

Established Member
thanks for all the great advice...we have not heard back from FoMoCo yet but I will be sure to see what part numbers they are putting in the stinking lincoln. will most likely sell as soon they fix it too...lol.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Depends on when it was built, read the bulletin I attached in post #5.

My Sport was built in October of 18. Gotta be Gen1.
The bulletin lists Navigators, F-150s, and Expeditions , but not Explorer Sports. I don't understand why it doesn't. Based on volume?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
The bulletin lists Navigators, F-150s, and Expeditions , but not Explorer Sports. I don't understand why it doesn't. Based on volume?
Not sure about that, my apologies but I didnt realize explorers werent listed.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Not sure about that, my apologies but I didnt realize explorers werent listed.

No worries, I appreciate the heads-up.

One difference I immediately noticed, and not sure if this has any bearing on the issue, is that the 3.5L in the Navigators, F-150s, and Expeditions is mounted in line since they're RWD. The 3.5L in the Sport is mounted transverse since it's FWD.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
My POS 2018 Raptor went back to the Ford dealer at 14k miles and had timing belt / cam phasers issues. The Ford service manager said it was the equivalent to doing open heart surgery. I got it back after a month, and by 34k miles it happened again. Traded that POS in as fast I could.

ArabianOak

Established Member
My POS 2018 Raptor went back to the Ford dealer at 14k miles and had timing belt / cam phasers issues. The Ford service manager said it was the equivalent to doing open heart surgery. I got it back after a month, and by 34k miles it happened again. Traded that POS in as fast I could.
Yeah man. Brutal. Same crap we had with the Escalade and 4 cylinder mode issues. Replaced half the engine twice and we got rid of it.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Dealer called us late yesterday...all parts are in stock now EXCEPT valve cover gaskets. Ford even authorized them to get aftermarket ones but they are all on backorder. So the wait continues.

In the meantime I am pleased to announce the new escalade prices have finally come down below MSRP, unless of course you want the V.

JaCobro

Established Member
Premium Member
My dealer also said parts (not sure which parts exactly yet) are on backorder for a couple months, but will be fixed under warranty. And that I can still drive it till then. Going to pick it up this afternoon.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

They are for sure part of it as I have done two in the last year and half.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
just got the Navi back today and the parts replacement list looks very extensive...lol. if anyone wants me to share it please let me know...so far no noise, just pure ford gt ecobeast power.

Did they have to replace the valve covers? I've had a few where the valve covers cracked in half during removal because they got so hot and became brittle.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Did they have to replace the valve covers? I've had a few where the valve covers cracked in half during removal because they got so hot and became brittle.
IMG_5293.jpeg

IMG_5291.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread