decided im buying a ecoboost f-150 but can anyone talk me out of it to buy the v8?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
someone in an eco boost with exhausted floored it past me one day and it literally scared the shhh out of me. I had no idea what it was, then v6 pickup. The asian invasion was strong with that one.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
im perfectly happy with my 12 ecoboost truck (bone stock). My next truck I did consider a coyote and TVS but dont see buying a ~50k truck and putting a $7k blower kit on it, not balling hard enough I guess.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Wow no one buys a truck to save gas well at least I don't. Yeah currently 12.5 I'll give an update after 1200 plus miles.

if they made a light duty pick up truck that could get 25-30mpg in the city they would sell like hot cakes. im surprised we havent seen an electric or plug in hybrid type truck yet.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I hear alot of ppl saying that here...But isnt that like 7k?

A tuner and some tunes is like 450 for an EB. I mean it'll "only" make 400whp and 520wtrq (at 2400rpms) on 93oct but hey, for some ppl thats enough.

While it is more expensive and money up front, the TVS is the most reliable power adder available for the Coyote engine. But given the cost of the truck with an EB versus a 5.0, some of that cost is balanced out getting the 5.0.

$7k ir so extra for an 800 hp F-150 with a V8 Coyote sounds like a deal to me.

Blown 89

Established Member
In 10 minutes I'm calling a dealer out of state to put an offer down on a 2015 F-150 ecoboost. The 3.7l ecoboost out tows the V8 by a large margin. It's the motor to get IMO.

Unless you're buying a truck to compensate for something then the V8 is your motor.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
if they made a light duty pick up truck that could get 25-30mpg in the city they would sell like hot cakes. im surprised we havent seen an electric or plug in hybrid type truck yet.

F-150 will have it in 2020-2022 time range.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
While it is more expensive and money up front, the TVS is the most reliable power adder available for the Coyote engine. But given the cost of the truck with an EB versus a 5.0, some of that cost is balanced out getting the 5.0.

$7k ir so extra for an 800 hp F-150 with a V8 Coyote sounds like a deal to me.

Ecoboost option is 1600 more iirc given everything else is the same. 800 whp coyote truck would be nice. How is the longevity power train wise with that much power? Thatd be a nightmare on a new truck if you greneded the motor with a blower up top. Hard to explain that one to Ford lol. Expensive but nice. Would that be reliable towing tho?

Lol I get it tho. If I had alot of money to burn for a base model single cab short bed 4wd yote truck with a tvs kit... then I'd do it. Not caring about mileage or longevity or real world reliability. Absolutely I've thought about it. But a decently optioned alloy 3.5tt off the lot that can do everything and more for what a daily truck should do was there right option for me. Extended cab 6.5 bed averaging 20.5mpg around town. Fit 4 ppl. Haul my car and trailer through the mountains of the northeast getting 15.5mpgs is good enough for me my man. Plus I love turbos ha. It was a no brainer for me personally.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
In 10 minutes I'm calling a dealer out of state to put an offer down on a 2015 F-150 ecoboost. The 3.7l ecoboost out tows the V8 by a large margin. It's the motor to get IMO.

Unless you're buying a truck to compensate for something then the V8 is your motor.

there is no 3.7L ecoboost, only 2.7l or 3.5l

2ndly the tow ratings between the coyote and the ecoboost are virtually the same for similar equipped trucks. If you need to tow more than $9k you need a f250

the 2018 f150 5.0L gets direct injection and 395hp, so definitely nothing to sneeze at

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Really, I see no upside to the EB, in spite of what everyone says.

The mileage is no better than the 5.0. And if you need to tow regularly, you should be looking at a Super Duty instead.
Which is exactly what he said he didn't need it to do.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

2ndly the tow ratings between the coyote and the ecoboost are virtually the same for similar equipped trucks. If you need to tow more than $9k you need a f250

the 2018 f150 5.0L gets direct injection and 395hp, so definitely nothing to sneeze at
What if I tow $9001?

Blown 89

Established Member

You are correct, it's a 3.5L. I'm working, in a hurry, and type without looking at the keyboard and hit the wrong number.

That sill doesn't change the fact that the ecoboost tows more and gets better gas mileage.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Gas mileage is going to be highly dependent on your foot, and where you live. If you are light on the throttle, and its flat everywhere it will do ok. If you aren't light on the throttle or drive through hills constantly, you will probably be disappointed.

They tow almost the same when equipped properly. Close enough where if you were at the limit of either, you should probably consider a super duty. The OP doesn't tow much weight and isn't looking to tow more than his current F150 can, so its a moot argument.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Gas mileage is going to be highly dependent on your foot, and where you live. If you are light on the throttle, and its flat everywhere it will do ok. If you aren't light on the throttle or drive through hills constantly, you will probably be disappointed.

They tow almost the same when equipped properly. Close enough where if you were at the limit of either, you should probably consider a super duty. The OP doesn't tow much weight and isn't looking to tow more than his current F150 can, so its a moot argument.

Exactly, think there is a 1500 lb difference in the towing package for either, with slight advantage to ecoboost. However if you are towing 9,000-10,500lbs in a half ton truck, you bought the wrong ****ing truck.

Users who are viewing this thread