decided im buying a ecoboost f-150 but can anyone talk me out of it to buy the v8?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If you want to chose the worst case scenario, sure. 4x4 models go from 18/23/20 to 19/24/21. About a 5% increase.

Or 4x4 with payload package goes from 18/22/19 to 18/24/21. Pretty significant improvement on the highway.

I have issues with fuel economy ratings for small turbo motors anyways. The ecoboost motors do not live up to the EPA testing standards. I had an ecoboost powered car, and while it was very peppy, it did not come close to EPA ratings.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Peak HP is the same between the 2017 and 2018, but in 2018 it comes in 750 rpm sooner. Tq goes from 375 @3000 rpm to 400@ 2750 rpm.

MPG ratings seem flat between the 2 model years, but we are also making more power lower in the rpm band.

phillycobra99

Established Member
The TSB is for the primary chain stretching so far it doesn't pick up the trigger wheel on the cam when expected, and sets codes. If you have a noise at start up, it has nothing to do with this particular tsb, but may be the tensioner coming apart as they have been updated along with a new guide.

I'm talking about this one
https://ford.oemdtc.com/1267

blk02edge

Established Member
If you want to chose the worst case scenario, sure. 4x4 models go from 18/23/20 to 19/24/21. About a 5% increase.

Or 4x4 with payload package goes from 18/22/19 to 18/24/21. Pretty significant improvement on the highway.

I have issues with fuel economy ratings for small turbo motors anyways. The ecoboost motors do not live up to the EPA testing standards. I had an ecoboost powered car, and while it was very peppy, it did not come close to EPA ratings.
It's too varied by drivers. Buddy of mine gets or beats epa ratings in his 2016 3.5. My dad's truck gets worse and another buddy with a 17 gets near par with epa. Too many people just drive too hard which throws that average off.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It's too varied by drivers. Buddy of mine gets or beats epa ratings in his 2016 3.5. My dad's truck gets worse and another buddy with a 17 gets near par with epa. Too many people just drive too hard which throws that average off.
+1

Every ecoboost I/my family have owned, I've easily beat their ratings. Hand calculated.

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
That's a fairly common one that takes care of both the phasers and chain stretch issue. That's surprising they won't do anything about it.i would maybe contact Ford customer service.

As far as 5.0 vs eco all I can say is they both have their faults and I have replaced an equal number of both engines. Which if you think about it there are about 30% more ecos out in the wild.
Sure eco has timing, turbo, and ignition problems. (Although I have yet to replace a turbo for wastegate and bearing issues, 2.0 eco is another story). And the 5.0 has valve burning, and block distortion issues. I chose 5.0 in my 13 and had to replace a head at 50k miles.
They both have cooling system and fuel injection issues (since when can we not build a decent water pump)? Either way they are both very good engines and are a real step up compared to the 3v so this arguing is kind of pointless in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I'm reserving judgment on the 3.0 Powerstroke.
Me too. I hope its a great engine, but only time will tell. The 3.0 in the land rover doesn't have the best history, but i'm sure its being heavily reworked for use in a truck.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Me too. I hope its a great engine, but only time will tell. The 3.0 in the land rover doesn't have the best history, but i'm sure its being heavily reworked for use in a truck.

What I don't understand is why they are using the 3.0 when they have the 3.2 already through EPA testing for US use. My best guess would be that the F-150 and Transit are in different emissions tiers.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
What I don't understand is why they are using the 3.0 when they have the 3.2 already through EPA testing for US use. My best guess would be that the F-150 and Transit are in different emissions tiers.

I think it has to do with the land rover spec 3.0 is certified as well, and is already close to their power output goals. I think their goal was to best the ram ecodiesel in both power and mpg.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere the 3.2 I5 wasn't very "refined" i.e. rattles and clacks more than the 3.0 as it was meant for more of a commercial application.

Would the I5 fit in a F-150? Not sure how the length compares to the other engine options.

phillycobra99

Established Member
That's a fairly common one that takes care of both the phasers and chain stretch issue. That's surprising they won't do anything about it.i would maybe contact Ford customer service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll give that a shot if I don't get anywhere with the Service Manager.

Users who are viewing this thread