decided im buying a ecoboost f-150 but can anyone talk me out of it to buy the v8?

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
as soon as i sell my cobra im using that $ as a downpayment and im trading in my current 2002 5.4L f-150 in for a 2013 or 2014 ecoboost f-150 (note i already know about the 2011/2012 ecoboost issues) can anyone talk me into buying a 5.0? seems like everyone loves the ecoboosts.
thoughts?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I gotta ask are you going to do any real towing with it? If the answer is yes, then I'd forego the F150 and consider superduty options. If not and we are just talking atvs, faggity sea doos, then either will serve you well.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Ecoboost makes great power and torque down low, and in my short time in one was great to drive. 5.0 sounds better and will get comparable gas mileage.

What do you need the truck for?

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
Ecoboost makes great power and torque down low, and in my short time in one was great to drive. 5.0 sounds better and will get comparable gas mileage.

What do you need the truck for?
it will be for everyday use, work and daily, landscaping small trailer and just a everyday work truck. prior to writing this post i had heard nothing but great things about them vs the 5.0

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a 2011 FX4 Ecoboost f150... absolutely loved it. I dont agree that it had lots of turbo lag.

That truck hauled ass and got great mpg.

However,

If given the choice between it and a TVS'd coyote... id pick the blown coyote.

Coiled03

Established Member
Really, I see no upside to the EB, in spite of what everyone says.

The mileage is no better than the 5.0. And if you need to tow regularly, you should be looking at a Super Duty instead.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Really, I see no upside to the EB, in spite of what everyone says.

The mileage is no better than the 5.0. And if you need to tow regularly, you should be looking at a Super Duty instead.

Not when you're regularly towing a small trailer with lawn equipment totaling 3k pounds.

Famine

Established Member
If you want it faster from a Bolton and factory standpoint, get the ecoboost; however, that is only a small portion of the equation. The fuel mileage while towing as well as some normal commuting, will actually be worse. The v8 is still a better platform for making more power in a more extensive boosted build. The v8 is more reliable, but I would recommend getting a tuner because the transmission shifts so lame in order to be more fuel efficient. For me I chose reliability and I have been in the ecoboost as well. I also have the sho, so I'm not biased.

Abbottthomas

as soon as i sell my cobra im using that $ as a downpayment and im trading in my current 2002 5.4L f-150 in for a 2013 or 2014 ecoboost f-150 (note i already know about the 2011/2012 ecoboost issues) can anyone talk me into buying a 5.0? seems like everyone loves the ecoboosts.
thoughts?
So I own a 2014 Rapot F150. Everyone is raving about the 6 banger with turbos. I'm not impressed. It's still a six cylinder. If I want to out perform it by a huge margin I can add twin turbos to my raptor. But I prefer a supercharger. Not to mention their aluminum body. So that my two cents. If you understand over clocking computers then you understand that's all they are doing.

SirShaun

Established Member
Only if you get a matching murse will I approve. In all seriousness I think it comes down to if you want to mod it or not. Your either gonna get what sounds like a pissed off Toyota, or the more traditional V8 sound of America. I think sound alone determines this one.

You could go unnoticed and be totally happy if you didn't put a fart can on the EB.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
So I own a 2014 Rapot F150. Everyone is raving about the 6 banger with turbos. I'm not impressed. It's still a six cylinder. If I want to out perform it by a huge margin I can add twin turbos to my raptor. But I prefer a supercharger. Not to mention their aluminum body. So that my two cents. If you understand over clocking computers then you understand that's all they are doing.

So you arent impressed with the Ecoboost because its a v6? Interesting.
Care to explain why? Stock for stock, the Ecoboost beats the shit out of that archaic 6.2 in the raptor.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 2013 ecoboost. After I got over the stigma of owning a v6 truck, it's been great. Hauls ass and can pull my cars on a car hauler with no problem. The whole argument about speed is kinda moot in my opinion. You can tune an ecoboost and even turbo swap them and make plenty of power. But it's a full sized truck so how fast are you really going to be driving it? I've got big wheels and tires on mine and it still is quick. But honestly you can't go wrong with either imho

flash0080

Established Member
I had a 2011 FX4 Ecoboost f150... absolutely loved it. I dont agree that it had lots of turbo lag.

That truck hauled ass and got great mpg.

However,

If given the choice between it and a TVS'd coyote... id pick the blown coyote.
Those turbo s are 2 small for lag. Its more drive by wire sensitivity. Which a tune takes care of.

Users who are viewing this thread