Dealer makes a price mix up. Has buyer arrested for theft.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
lol @ 2.2 million. It was 4 hours, not 4 years. He'll probably get a decent chunk of change when it is all said and done however.

Take it you have no experience or known any attorneys personally......they ask for so much because they know in reality they won't settle for that much but, higher you go the more you can settle for....you wouldn't sell a CO Cobra starting at $12k with 50,000 miles would you? You start high and find a decent range in negotiations.....with that being said, would you mind being wrongfully incarcerated for 4 hours of your life on a mix up?Known a few attorneys personally, i asked the same question about a case one time....i was like oh yeah makes sense now.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
First of all, I would literally LOL if i was called by a sales manager to sign a different contract for almost 6k more. Your incompetence is not this guys problem.

second- I hope the dealer gets destroyed, and that the guy laughs all the way to the bank.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
2.2 million? Both the dealer and the buyer are douchebag crooks. The buyer should get a settlement but still, these days getting the chance to sue for "personal damages" is like winning the lottery.

Guy gets a small settlement, sales manager and finance manager who over saw the entire shit sandwich get fired. Thats the way this should and most likely will end with.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I live a few minutes from this dealership - the owner is a pretty standup guy (owns a few dealerships and is involved in the community) and he was unaware of these actions taken by one of his sales managers, and I believe the guy will be getting canned. Last I read they were trying to settle out of court and he is honoring the original contract.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
The owner actually found out about the lawsuit from the local paper - I bet he ripped that manager a new asshole.

chevymec

Thats bull. I had a buddy that had a truck stolen from his yard. By luck it was found at a local Dodge dealership. The wrecker driver picked it up as a trade in but got the address wrong but happened to be the same style and color truck. He never matched the vin. After missing his truck for a week, he only got about $500 from the Dealership owner.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I've purchased two vehicles from his dealerships and have never had an issue, same with their service departments. Everything else I posted is straight from the local paper.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
I believe 2.2 million is a good number for this lawsuit. Being accused of car theft is no laughing matter especially after you have legally purchased that same vehicle. Spending 4 hours in jail as a result of the accusation is even worse. Your reputation is tarnished and that may affect your own record. All that because of the dealer's own mistake. No way! An apology will not erase the humiliation neither any sum of money. However, it's good to be compensated. Hope Mr. Sawyer get a great deal of that asking amount.

blackfang

Established Member
First of all, I would literally LOL if i was called by a sales manager to sign a different contract for almost 6k more. Your incompetence is not this guys problem.

second- I hope the dealer gets destroyed, and that the guy laughs all the way to the bank.
I can tell you that 2.2 mil is pocket change for that automotive group. 2.2 million is way too much and he won't get that. Also I wonder if that sales manager is still working there? LOL.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The bad publicity alone has likely already hurt the dealer, but after what they did to this guy (having him falsely arrested) I hope he gets at least $200K (after lawyer's fees) and the dealer's reputation is forever tarnished so badly that they're forced to shut down.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Take it you have no experience or known any attorneys personally......they ask for so much because they know in reality they won't settle for that much but, higher you go the more you can settle for....you wouldn't sell a CO Cobra starting at $12k with 50,000 miles would you? You start high and find a decent range in negotiations.....with that being said, would you mind being wrongfully incarcerated for 4 hours of your life on a mix up?Known a few attorneys personally, i asked the same question about a case one time....i was like oh yeah makes sense now.
I'm well aware of how lawsuits work. When I got into my accident a few years ago my lawyer started at 100k and settled for 16k about 6 months later. 2.2 million is still an obscenely high starting point for this case.

blackfang

Established Member
The bad publicity alone has likely already hurt the dealer, but after what they did to this guy (having him falsely arrested) I hope he gets at least $200K (after lawyer's fees) and the dealer's reputation is forever tarnished so badly that they're forced to shut down.
Bad publicity will definitely get you. I wouldn't want them shut down. Granted that automotive group has a ton of dealerships(i think like 13 and still growing), but unlike many other dealers, his dealerships do fund quite a few local charities and sponsor a lot of events for the public and schools.

Users who are viewing this thread