Dealer makes a price mix up. Has buyer arrested for theft.

Driver500

Established Member
One of the craziest dealer stories I've heard.

Chevy dealer sells car for wrong price, apologizes after having buyer arrested

A Virginia man spent four hours in jail after purchasing a Chevrolet Traverse from Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake, VA. The dealer's sales staff accidentally sold the SUV to Danny Sawyer for $5,600 less than they should have, and when Sawyer refused to sign a new, more expensive contract for the correct amount, the dealership called the local police alleging the buyer had stolen the vehicle. Law enforcement then picked Sawyer up and held him for four hours before getting the situation straight.

Dennis Ellmer, president of Priority Chevrolet, says he owes Sawyer an apology on behalf of the dealership, and had intended to do right by the buyer by letting him have the vehicle at the agreed-upon price. But Sawyer's lawyer says it's a little too late for saying, 'sorry.' The briefly-incarcerated owner has filed two lawsuits against the dealer, accusing the business of malicious prosecution, slander, defamation and abuse of process. All told, the suits seek a total of $2.2 million in damages, plus attorney fees.

That $5,600 seems awfully cheap now.

The lawsuit says Sawyer originally purchased a blue Traverse on May 7, but took the SUV back the next day for a black one. The dealer's sales manager made the swap, allegedly without saying anything about a price differential between the two. Either way, Sawyer signed a final contract for around $34,000 when the vehicle he took home had an actual price of closer to $39,000. On June 15, Sawyer was taken into custody by police, but the Commonwealth dropped the charges after finding insufficient evidence to pursue the case.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
lol @ 2.2 million. It was 4 hours, not 4 years. He'll probably get a decent chunk of change when it is all said and done however.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Dang, right down the street from my house! Hope the guy gets some good money out of it to at least pay for the car.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
the most shocking part about the whole story is that a garbage traverse can run upwards of $40k

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
LOL, "plus attorneys fees" which mean he was actually suing for $10,000 but had to bumped it $2.199 million to cover the fees.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
that sucks that happened to him...but really? 2.2 million dollars.... wtf?

2.2million for damages? You just lucked out on 5.6k.
Only in America

I realize it's ludacris, but if I got arrested at all my clearance would be put on admin hold and I'd be on leave without pay. Mix up or not. Will he get it? Hell no but being wrongfully imprisoned is pretty shitty.

Machdup1

Established Member
The dealership screwed up twice. First they sold him a car too cheap. Their problem, not his. Once there was ink on the contract, the deal was done.

They then had him arrested under falsely after attempts to get him to revise the contract in their favor did not work. I hope he gets the whole 2M.

SneakyPete

Banned
the most shocking part about the whole story is that a garbage traverse can run upwards of $40k

^ This. Traverses are indeed garbage, however it's still a "premium" upgrade at any of America's rental car companies that carry them. :rollseyes

This is how lawsuits work guys, astronomical numbers are thrown out to attract attention to the case and hopefully land a settlement at 10% of what the suit was declared for.

Users who are viewing this thread