Curved Tv's worth it?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Remember when "Flat Screen" was the cool thing to have? Now all of a sudden curved is better? WTF? LOL

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for all of the posts. I'm pretty sure I will go with the curved due to the fact that our living room is sorta "L" shaped and after looking at the TV's in the store, if you are off to one side the curved gives the impression that you are still in front of it if that makes sense...so curved it is...Samsung 65".
This is true, and the main reason why people go with the curved version. But if your seating is directly in front of the TV, the flat version works best IMO. You're going to love your new TV when you get it. Just in time for Super Bowl! ;)

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I'm in the industry, I've never sold a curved screen to a client.

They are expensive, but Sony's Z9 series are incredible. If not the Z9 other Sonys are also very good.

blk02edge

Established Member
Well I've spent a couple days in front of my new curved and switched back to a flat as well (im off work injured so I have lots of time) and honestly really glad we got the curved

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
IMO curved is a gimmick. I bought a 65" 1080p and it looks outstanding. I'm not sold on 4k either. But I got a hell of a deal on this one so I'm OK without 4k at the moment.

NJredfire03

Established Member
IMO curved is a gimmick. I bought a 65" 1080p and it looks outstanding. I'm not sold on 4k either. But I got a hell of a deal on this one so I'm OK without 4k at the moment.

Nothing broadcasts at 4K really. You need a 4K HDMI as well. Game consoles might be the only thing that broadcasts at 4K. Other than a 4K blu ray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blk02edge

Established Member
The 4k hdmi thing is a gimmick. All good hdmi chords can broadcast 4k.

And 4k really is far superior. Do not for one second believe a 1080p tv can be as good as a 4k running 4k content. Even up scaled 1080p. If your eyes aren't shot the difference is amazing

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have 4K programming with DirectTV, but it is limited right now. I also have 4K movies, and I'll be watching one this afternoon. I watched a Chicago Bulls gave last week in 4K. And most Notre Dame football games are in 4K with DirectTV. My LG OLED loves it. ;)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I plan on getting a new TV for my office, but I'm not going to spend more than $400 on it. That rules out curved ones for me.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I plan on getting a new TV for my office, but I'm not going to spend more than $400 on it. That rules out curved ones for me.

I've been eyeing the Samsung 4K HDTV 50" non curved of course Best Buy has them for $399 right now so tempting. I have a LG 65" 1080p upstairs and like it but need a new tv for my basement.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Picking up my 65" Samsung curved TV tomorrow. Told the wife we needed an XBOX One too so we could really utilize it... little does she know our Blu-ray player is 4K ready anyways.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
If it's a 4k resolution and most of your media content you view isnt 4k, then the answer is NO.

The 4k craze is just like flat screens when they started to get popular over 10 years ago. People fusses about regular channels being blurry. They just see the nice picture at the store and dont research.

blk02edge

Established Member
If it's a 4k resolution and most of your media content you view isnt 4k, then the answer is NO.

The 4k craze is just like flat screens when they started to get popular over 10 years ago. People fusses about regular channels being blurry. They just see the nice picture at the store and dont research.

yea but that's not the point. More and more 4k cameras out there and of course more and more 4k content which in not too long will be the norm. The tv's are now at the right price to buy for future proofing. If you buy a new 1080p TV you WILL be missing out in no time.

Also gaming will be all 4k in 2017

jshen

Established Member
Curved or flat is personal preference and I didn't see any difference. What I did see was the jump to 4K!! That had me hooked and given the amount of time I watch TV- especially sports the view is incredible. I went with 75" Samsung 4K...and have loved every moment. It even upscales old movies to a higher definition..

NJredfire03

Established Member
Picking up my 65" Samsung curved TV tomorrow. Told the wife we needed an XBOX One too so we could really utilize it... little does she know our Blu-ray player is 4K ready anyways.

Hahahahaha. I did the same damn thing! Got the 65" curved Samsung and an Xbox OneS.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
yea but that's not the point. More and more 4k cameras out there and of course more and more 4k content which in not too long will be the norm. The tv's are now at the right price to buy for future proofing. If you buy a new 1080p TV you WILL be missing out in no time.

Also gaming will be all 4k in 2017
No, the point i made was exactly the reality i live in. It is different for you sionce your needs arent the same. TV selection depends what media you will be viewing. I will NOT have 4k media in 2017 nor probably 2018 through cable. My local cable company doesnt even offer any 4k media right now. I game on pc and my pc has it's own monitors which arent even 4k. However my video card and whole rig can support 4k. But that im not ready for that.

I will miss out on nothing but over speeding on a tv for the future that i do not need nor want. However, some may have far more use for a 4k tv. The longer you wait, the better and cheaper 4k tv's and other tv's will get.

Users who are viewing this thread