Curved Tv's worth it?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hmmm, my 4k LG OLED TV's regular 1080P HD is outstanding. Really outstanding. Much better than my upstairs LG regular HD TV. It's so good, it's honestly difficult to differentiate between the 1080P and 4K content on the OLED TV. Point being that a good 4K TV most certainly WILL produce better results than a lesser grade 4K TV. So buying a good 4K TV over a good regular HD TV does make sense.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
My 55" 4k flat Samsung came in yesterday. So far I'm pretty happy. I haven't had much time to mess with it, one half of football and then the boy and his buddy took over some xbox action. Their game reviews were top notch so I'm happy about that (looks great, no input lag). The little bit I saw of Kubo and the two strings looked pretty good. He's gonna flip when his xbox one s (upgrade from 360) comes in for Christmas. I'm looking forward to 4k hdr blue rays.

blk02edge

Established Member
No, the point i made was exactly the reality i live in. It is different for you sionce your needs arent the same. TV selection depends what media you will be viewing. I will NOT have 4k media in 2017 nor probably 2018 through cable. My local cable company doesnt even offer any 4k media right now. I game on pc and my pc has it's own monitors which arent even 4k. However my video card and whole rig can support 4k. But that im not ready for that.

I will miss out on nothing but over speeding on a tv for the future that i do not need nor want. However, some may have far more use for a 4k tv. The longer you wait, the better and cheaper 4k tv's and other tv's will get.

I didn't specifically mean you, I meant the average consumer. If 4k doesn't suit you then fine. But saying that 4k is just a craze is absolutely un true. So many people are dropping cable because it flat out sucks compared to the internet based subscriptions.

Like said above even a 1080p bluray is nowhere near as impressive on a 1080p to a 4k due to the upscaling. Digitally fills in the extra pixels a 4k tv has making a clearer image although still not quite as good as native 4k

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Just scored a 49" LG 4K TV from Meijer. $399 got 20% off that with Mperks. As well as a coupon for $50 for my next shopping trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueSnake01

Established Member
IMO curved screens only work well when you’re sitting in front of it. A ton of my theaters are going this route and its a bit more enjoyable, however those sitting from the side, they’ll get the short end of the stick

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I'm in the industry, I've never sold a curved screen to a client.

They are expensive, but Sony's Z9 series are incredible. If not the Z9 other Sonys are also very good.

I have wanted a Sony for a while, when i was installing cable i noticed every client who had them always had incredible picture quality. kicking myself the ass they had tis one for $349 at best buy as a door buster and i waited. damn thing went up to $499. I don't care for 4k since we don't have a blu ray etc so i figured this one was a good deal. SMART tv 55" had great reviews on it.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55...?skuId=5072204&productCategoryId=abcat0101001

since you're in the industry what Sony would you recommend? Bravia series seem to be awesome.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Sonys pretty much fall into 5 categories. The entry is KDL, and is smaller sets.

There are 4 XBR series, 7xx, 850, 9xx, z9

Not all series have all sizes, but, as you move up, you get better video processing, thinner, and better led backlighting with the Z9 having a true full array. The differences are noticible, especially in the largest sizes 65" +.

On 4K, it is a BIG difference, content delivery is changing FAST, via streaming (Netflix, Amazon, you tube, all can be searched for 4K), it's available now. The grand tour is in 4K HDR and is breathtaking (content isn't great however).

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
My friend bought a curved samsung and sometimes I can see a glare/reflection in the center of the tv. FT

colin450

Established Member
I was looking at the curved TVs at Best Buy recently and wasn't crazy about them. Seemed like anything other than looking straight at it didn't look right. I went with the LG OLED.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Holy quadruple post haha

I've had mine since Sunday and I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread