Converting to th400

KidMoney

Established Member
I wouldn't be afraid to line up next to you.

Well if you ever get out this way we sure have a few cars that would love to grab a lane. At the track or on the street. And you can make more than gas money for your troubles.

1bad03snake

powered by cold beer
Established Member
I have a 6.0L/T70 with a th350 trans in my 88 coupe. I'd throw a th350 or 400 in my 2013 in a heartbeat if it was faster.

armycook1981

Established Member
Hold up .. Let me clarify something right now.... If you put a th400 in anything other then the years that it was produced for then your ruining your cars value?..

**** you do an intake you lessen the value...

There is a gt500 out of Paducah ,ky that 5.0KB and CVic and I seen run its at bowling green several times is a 2011-2012 he runs a either a c4 or a th400 tuned by kurgan Motorsports out of Atlanta..(origanlly tuned by Lund) Pretty nasty snake guess he destroyed his resale for his 9 second track car oh well..

I was talking to my tuner i use now as its at the shop getting ready for the int the next day or so for the new 2.8 KB and I told him the cost of the 4r70w to get "repaired" at worst case is well over 4k from a trans shop well known it is cheaper for me to just buy a th400 and put that in. He suggested a 4l80e tci version that's designed to be used with ford if I wanted to consider it...

But if using the theories some have put out here I should be going with the 5r55s with a built one that would probly blow after a few passes at the cost of a new motor or hell a new blower system.. Some times it just makes since to look at all your options and weigh everything out and the best one that suits you

Last edited:

armycook1981

Established Member
Found a 11.85 pass on ls1 tech of you running, why don't you go ahead and bring that car up here and I'll run ya.

Edit: didnt see that was with the mod motor in it. Fastest I saw with the ls1 is a 6.99, bring that car up here and ill run you

You can base it off those if you like but that car is a lot faster and prob has less in the build then you do in those weld drag rims and tires.. So for him to mesome is whole drivetrain and to fix it is a lot cheaper then the OP's mt-82 tranny

Last edited:

armycook1981

Established Member

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
OP,
While I applaud you for the 400 trans swap, Its going to cost more than $2600 by the time you figure in the new drive shaft and trans brace and the rest of the incidentals.
A trans brake is a must for a serious drag racer, Congrats on the project.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
Hold up .. Let me clarify something right now.... If you put a th400 in anything other then the years that it was produced for then your ruining your cars value?..

**** you do an intake you lessen the value...

There is a gt500 out of Paducah ,ky that 5.0KB and CVic and I seen run its at bowling green several times is a 2011-2012 he runs a either a c4 or a th400 tuned by kurgan Motorsports out of Atlanta..(origanlly tuned by Lund) Pretty nasty snake guess he destroyed his resale for his 9 second track car oh well..

we just rolled this car onto our dyno 30 seconds ago... has some new upgrades!!

CameronVic

Established Member
OP,
While I applaud you for the 400 trans swap, Its going to cost more than $2600 by the time you figure in the new drive shaft and trans brace and the rest of the incidentals.
A trans brake is a must for a serious drag racer, Congrats on the project.
I'm giving him my old aluminum crown vic driveshaft. $100 to get cut down and balanced. We have friends that can do minor fab work (for free, or close to it) so there's the trans crossmember right there. It's gonna be cheaper than $2600. His shifter and converter were almost half of that $2600 though! HAHA

And yea he could get a trans brake, but the money one costs for what it would give him ET wise just didn't make sense at this point. I bet it footbrakes in the 1.40s which is definitely enough for his goals.

Last edited:

armycook1981

Established Member
we just rolled this car onto our dyno 30 seconds ago... has some new upgrades!!

Not to derail thread more then it has against the bickering

But he'll I thought his car was already upgraded all the way lol it's a beast can only go faster could you clarify which trans he was using again

KidMoney

Established Member
I'm giving him my old aluminum crown vic driveshaft. $100 to get cut down and balanced. We have friends that can do minor fab work (for free, or close to it) so there's the trans crossmember right there. It's gonna be cheaper than $2600. His shifter and converter were almost half of that $2600 though! HAHA

And yea he could get a trans brake, but the money one costs for what it would give him ET wise just didn't make sense at this point. I bet it footbrakes in the 1.40s which is definitely enough for his goals.

No brake?? That's probably the best benefit of using that trans. Seems odd to me.

CameronVic

Established Member
We're modding the stock valve body (free) to be full manual, with the future option to upgrade. There's a bunch of VBs out there. I personally would only put a griner on mine with 1st or 2nd gear TB options. But I suggested he hold off on that for now to see what the free VB does, and then make the upgrade if he didnt like that footbrake times.

Also, it's easier to get a suspension dialed in for footbrake than a TB. I'll bet he'd have a lot hard time trying to hook leaving off the TB with a twin screw. Probably about as hard as a time he had with the MT82.

3 oh 2

Established Member
I know he said he did it for $2600, but come on he got a great deal on all the parts and in most cases a chance like that wouldn't show up for a lot of us. And that is with. A stock converter and everything. Yeah it will work, and plus I'm not that mechanically inclined to mess with wires!!! Lol something would be all messed up

im going to do a 6r80 conversion on mine . after i broke my mt82 found a salvage yard has a 2012 gt with 45k miles i got all parts for $2500 :banana:

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
Just a little update!! I got some more parts in the mail today which includes: TCI outlaw shifter, flywheel, rear seat delete, transmission rebuild kit, and tourque convertor. Just waiting on the bell housing. I still need to get the trans cooler lines and fittings and the trans brace. Can't wait for this thing to get done!!

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
0CA9ABE0-C4A1-4604-914A-CD16FAF2BE30-8362-000006ABABC489A0_zps1f5b51cf.jpg

CameronVic

Established Member
Coming together! Modding the valve body tomorrow, hopefully the big brown truck will drop off the bellhousing too!

57BF2559-4A62-4A35-97EC-A04555662D16-14229-00000E69D8FF7C61_zps9b28278e.gif

Users who are viewing this thread