Converting to th400

CameronVic

Established Member
I was being facetious. Because his logic that the trans is a good street trans because GM did it in the 50s is flawed.

KidMoney

Established Member
You couldn't pay me to put anything but a 6R80 in these cars. A glide wouldn't like the weight of his car. A400 is strong but doesn't belong in a car like this imo.

CameronVic

Established Member
Because its really needed, right?
I don't think it is. LOL. A turbo footbrake car can antilag and make boost, blowers will be fine out of the hole, and especially nitrous and motor cars are fine.

You couldn't pay me to put anything but a 6R80 in these cars. A glide wouldn't like the weight of his car. A400 is strong but doesn't belong in a car like this imo.
Why doesn't it belong? Because it's not ford?

I wouldn't want you putting wiper blades on my car.

KidMoney

Established Member
I don't think it is. LOL. A turbo footbrake car can antilag and make boost, blowers will be fine out of the hole, and especially nitrous and motor cars are fine.

Why doesn't it belong? Because it's not ford?

I wouldn't want you putting wiper blades on my car.

It doesn't belong because it doesn't need a stone age transmission with a manual valve body. A 6R80 is more than strong enough and will drive around like a stock car. But good luck with reinventing the wheel with these cars.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Yeah it tells u there a pretty tough trans. But at the same time a C4 built the right way can last many years. But yes more money out initially with the C4.

The 6R80 with all its close ratio gears is the best since sliced bread.

I have a C6 in my garage that woulda gone in, but ford in their infinite wisdom decided to change bolt patterns every year, and no one cares about a c6 enough to make an adapter bellhousing for it.

But they make bellhousing for 400s for pretty much any motor on earth. That should tell you something.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yeah it tells u there a pretty tough trans. But at the same time a C4 built the right way can last many years. But yes more money out initially with the C4.

The 6R80 with all its close ratio gears is the best since sliced bread.

^^^^

We still really haven't found the limits of the trans.

A couple of guys have broken the intermediate shaft.

i have a billet one waiting to go in after the atlanta race. But so far, a clutch upgrade, and this trans is the poo

Bud

Established Member
Funny to watch people freak out like you are putting a th400 in their car :burn:

The 6r80 is awesome, if your car came with one or if you have access to ALL of the parts needed for the swap and the ability to get the car programmed right. At the OPs power level the 6r80 would have probably held fine but if you have seen the price for the stage 2 6r80 upgrades it is ridiculous in my eyes. Just the cost of the upgrades pushed me over the edge into running a different trans. That kind of dough and still no transbrake just isn't acceptable for a more race oriented car. For somebody with endless pockets and wanting a daily driver I guess it makes sense.

Can't wait to see the results OP, I'm glad people are trying different routes with these cars. It opens the door for people wanting to make the swap in cars for the track.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Funny to watch people freak out like you are putting a th400 in their car :burn:

The 6r80 is awesome, if your car came with one or if you have access to ALL of the parts needed for the swap and the ability to get the car programmed right. At the OPs power level the 6r80 would have probably held fine but if you have seen the price for the stage 2 6r80 upgrades it is ridiculous in my eyes. Just the cost of the upgrades pushed me over the edge into running a different trans. That kind of dough and still no transbrake just isn't acceptable for a more race oriented car. For somebody with endless pockets and wanting a daily driver I guess it makes sense.

Can't wait to see the results OP, I'm glad people are trying different routes with these cars. It opens the door for people wanting to make the swap in cars for the track.

I sell the stage 2 clutch pack upgrade for $675.

Any local trans guy should be able to put it in for you.

I'm not sure that $675 comes off as ridiculous, no more than a real good manual clutch.

Bud

Established Member

I'm not sure that $675 comes off as ridiculous, no more than a real good manual clutch.

Oh, wasn't referring to just the clutches, I was referring to their upgrades with the billet shaft, clutches, etc that is well over 5 times that much.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Awesome OP.

We just put a JW TH400 in a 2010 Shelby. That with a Pro Torque Converter.... Thing flys now!!!

Make sure whomever is tuning it can change the perimeter's for it.

wheelin

Established Member

Buying a 6r80 from ford is 7000$+ , what standalone will controll it? Is Lund the only one probably that could make it work ?

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Theirs non that works with the factory VCT. But a DFI, Big Stuff 3, ect with locking everything out, it can work and has. MMR being one of them who did it.

We have been working with stand a-lone fuel systems for awhile now with local cars. (older years) Love it!

Last edited by a moderator:

CameronVic

Established Member

exactly! The thing is gonna fly!

What's popular isn't always right, and what's right isn't always popular!

CameronVic

Established Member
It doesn't belong because it doesn't need a stone age transmission with a manual valve body. A 6R80 is more than strong enough and will drive around like a stock car. But good luck with reinventing the wheel with these cars.

Funny you should say that. I asked Steve Jackson and Kevin Fiscus when i saw them at the fall brawl what trans mods they were doing this winter. Both of them said "putting 6r80e's in you dummy!"

April fools. They both run turboglides. We're not reinventing the wheel. We're copying it exactly.

KidMoney

Established Member
Buying a 6r80 from ford is 7000$+ , what standalone will controll it? Is Lund the only one probably that could make it work ?

You can get a 6R80 a lot cheaper than that. As of now there is no stand alone, but Bauman said one is in the works. Probably a year out. The second option is running a Coyote engine harness and auto computer. Which is what I'd already have done if I knew exactly what needed to be switched. We are looking into it at the moment.

KidMoney

Established Member
Funny you should say that. I asked Steve Jackson and Kevin Fiscus when i saw them at the fall brawl what trans mods they were doing this winter. Both of them said "putting 6r80e's in you dummy!"

April fools. They both run turboglides. We're not reinventing the wheel. We're copying it exactly.

Haha. So the Op has a 6 second car? If that's the case maybe you guys should have just talked to John Force and tried running a direct drive.

Users who are viewing this thread