Converting to th400

CameronVic

Established Member
Yea, a 400 is a lot smaller than a c6. I've got both on my garage floor right now, I'll get a pic later. Can a 400 be broken? Yea. But if you treat it right (2nd to 3rd gear burnouts, not downshifting and instantly womping on it, and a few other things), all they really need is a sprag, aluminum apply pistons, and good line pressure and that thin will be fine to like 700-800 wheel.

Last edited:

N20JUNKY

Established Member
from your sig it looks like you drive a mustang, but you talk like you own a supra. Is he gonna lose HP? Yea. Is he going to gain TQ? Yea. I've never put my car in the beams while on the dyno, have you? I bet he goes 3 tenths faster than his best time just by swapping to this "HP robbing/zapping" transmission. And I'll also bet that he'll never break it.

I was actually talking about the power to turn the trans. I would say this is a awesome thing to do in a strip car that has a built motor where you can turn up the boost to compensate. Buy a new car to tear up the trans and revert to installing a non od trans in a brand new car? Not the smartest idea in my book but hey different strokes...I would of swapped a factory 6r80 in it sure its going to cost more but get better mpg's, hold the same amount of power, odometer will actually work. And yes you are right they are very strong transmissions im not arguing that, in my opinion you listened to the wrong guy. As I said good luck

armycook1981

Established Member
Just cause the year of the car..... When people use that I just say not your money....

I'm sure he spent a lot of time researchin his options and pricing the stuff out and this option fitted him the best

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
I didn't want to deal with 6r80 plus if I was going to go that route like everybody says on here and everywhere else it's easier and cheaper to trade the car for an auto. I just wanted to be different and I didn't want to get rid of the car either.

CameronVic

Established Member
Yea me and him already looked at what it would take to do a 6r80, and it just wasn't something he wanted to undertake. He got this 400 for less than the shipping for the 6r80 was.

Last edited:

CameronVic

Established Member
Yea, I'm gonna mod the valve body so it's full manual. Basically it's just a craig's list 400, it'll have aluminum apply pistons in the forward, and direct drum, and for the intermediate also (I found a couple junk TH400s in a crown vic trunk the last time at the junkyard, and I pirated everything that we needed from there).

8C850AB6-B8AC-44B8-BF8E-4FFDF0E56515-3250-000003F6F0772EB5_zps43b5b776.jpg

587DC207-E0A8-4245-9027-C3590247691C-3250-000003F7134C2B55_zpsa78ecd5a.jpg

8D85A1A3-D639-4CC8-A555-A7D9A1F308DC-3250-000003F703E041CD_zps725c2de3.jpg

New clutches, .070 in the forward and direct, and .035 -.045 in the intermediate. A smooth direct drum for a 34 element sprag. New bushings (where necessary), and new seals.

I have an old aluminum drive shaft from a crown vic that I scrapped so when we get it all in, we'll take some measurements and get it cut down and re-balanced. Yesterday he got a bar and plate trans cooler off a ford ranger for $17. I use the same one in my turbo footbrake crown vic and she LOVES it!

Only thing we have left to figure out is the spedo, and the crossmember. That's little stuff though. I'm confident this thing is gonna freaking fly. I know I could probably take him in the quarter now, but he'll hand it to me after this for sure!

CameronVic

Established Member
Is there a tranny I could use that's had OD?

Yea, a 4L80e. If I had real cake, I'd get a built 4L80E from Jake's performance. They know their stuff over there. I got most all of my info from threads that he started, or posted in. An 80e is basically a TH400's big brother, with OD, and a lock-up converter. A 4L80E is and will be the only OD trans I'd ever put in my car.

4VFTW

Established Member
if i ever go to more of a race type trans, it will be a turbo 400, the ford trannies just aren't up to the task
huh? dont you have a basically stock 6r80 in your car now going high 8's? a rollerized C6 would handle 8's in your car if you were towing another car behind you.

OP shoulda gone with a glide if he wanted a "Race" Tranny

Last edited:

CameronVic

Established Member
Do you make a c6-modular bellhousing? Because no one else on earth does.

Also, with a glide, he'd have to put a lot of gear in the back to get it out of the hole, and unless he had a stupid effecient converter, he'd run out of gear.

He didn't want a "race trans" (idk what the hell that means), he wanted a trans that was cheap, and wouldn't blink an eye when he lays into the loud pedal.

Last edited:

armycook1981

Established Member
Isn't a power glide limiting you to pretty much track only tho? I'm not familiar with them but I was told a PG was pretty much track only

Bud

Established Member
Isn't a power glide limiting you to pretty much track only tho? I'm not familiar with them but I was told a PG was pretty much track only

Both the PG and the TH400 have a 1 to 1 final gear, so wouldn't be any different on the highway for cruising, until you consider rear gear. TH400 will get a car off the line easier that may have less power and still have enough rear gear to get the mph needed. I think both would suck for a car that gets lots of miles on the street/hwy, the 4l80 would be nice if a person had lots of dough.

The ability to have a transbrake and not fear breaking transmissions regularly is pretty nice I'm guessing.

acrbill

Established Member
Then why don't they still come in GM cars?

I think Chrysler has a 9 speed auto coming out soon so I can't imagine GM trying to pass off a 2 speed auto in this day and age.

Another huge benefit of a TH400 over the 6R80 is you can use a trans brake.

Users who are viewing this thread