Converting to th400

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
So it was close to a month ago when my mt82 took a dump on me. I finally had a reason to convert to an auto. I looked at multiple options but ended up going with the th400 with a manual valve body.
Today I got the bel housing cut off and all the guts out. I'm still waiting on my new bell housing and my rebuild kit to arrive. Ill make sure to keep you all updated with everything.

4F6AFAF0-0FED-4DCB-9B97-34DC763663B5-5626-0000045A557BBC39_zps021b8cd5.jpg

9E92D8AA-5BA6-4AF7-A1A7-D3D58BE36F15-5626-0000045A5AD7F3A7_zps578e1609.jpg

7C9A1996-C3FE-4ABF-88BC-55FFFA6FF74D-5626-0000045A4FBFDCEC_zpsb97477be.jpg

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Whats your mods and power level? The t400 zaps some power man, why didnt you go with something like a JW C4? I guess overdrive isnt a concern for you, is this your daily driver?

Edit: I just saw your avitar and your screen name, you have a KB on your car? Well I guess its gotta be putting out some nice numbers! I put a KB on my 03 Cobra. What converter are you going with?

Last edited:

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
I have a 2.8 Kenne bell on 10psi, stainless works long tubes/full exhaust, upper and lower Metco control arms, rear qa1 single adj., one piece driveshaft, Macleod RXT, Barton short throw I'm probably missing some stuff. Lol it put 622/490 on a mustang dyno. As far as going with the C4, I talked to a lot of people and everyone told me that they don't like a lot of weight and my car weighs close to 3900lbs with me in it. Also you are right about overdrive it's really not a concern if I plan on going any long trips Ill just trailer the car. The car was a daily drive but I really cut down driving it everyday before blowing the trans so yeah i probably won't drive everyday but I'm going to get my money's worth!! Lol

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
So far it has been with trans, bell housing, convertor, shifter, and rebuild kit I am just at 2k. I have a trans cooler but I haven't got the lines yet, and haven't bought the crossmember and new drive shaft. Plus ill be selling my current clutch and one piece aluminum driveshaft once I get it out of the car so ill get 3/4 of my money back.

CameronVic

Established Member
He didnt go with a c4 because he didnt want to be pulling a trans twice a year. I convinced him to go with a 400 because they're cheap, and you pretty much don't have to replace any hard parts except a sprag for his HP goals.

CameronVic

Established Member
So is this option cheaper than the ford options?

I have a C6 in my garage that woulda gone in, but ford in their infinite wisdom decided to change bolt patterns every year, and no one cares about a c6 enough to make an adapter bellhousing for it.

But they make bellhousing for 400s for pretty much any motor on earth. That should tell you something.

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
Good luck op, those th400's take a good bit of power away.

Are you talking about robbing power from dyno charts? Because if that's what you're saying it doesn't bother me, I would just like it to run faster at that track and more consistent.

CameronVic

Established Member
Good luck op, those th400's take a good bit of power away.
from your sig it looks like you drive a mustang, but you talk like you own a supra. Is he gonna lose HP? Yea. Is he going to gain TQ? Yea. I've never put my car in the beams while on the dyno, have you? I bet he goes 3 tenths faster than his best time just by swapping to this "HP robbing/zapping" transmission. And I'll also bet that he'll never break it.

5lho

Established Member
Old skool! Love it. The C6 is fine but that ****er weighs A LOT. The TH400 is lighter, just as strong and is easily adapted to anything, as you noted.

Looking for a work truck a few years back I targeted an '89 G10 Chevy Van because it was the first year for EFI and the last year for the TH400, plus a 10 bolt Corporate out back, basically blast proof. It's still going strong.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
I was just curious with the choice, obvioisly not a common swap. The t400 is pretty heavy - I replaced one on my back by myself in a driveway once. They are also not indestructible as Ive blown one in my 72 Firebird behind a nitrous 455 back in the day. I do know a few guys that ran built JW and PA C4's with no issues behind very powerful cars, one is a 7.8 nitrous car (yes 1/4 mile). Also a powerglide could have been an option as when built they can take pretty much anything you can throw at them.

Anyway, good luck man. Looking forward to your results and 1/4 mile times!

5lho

Established Member
This was an MT82 car so, no 6R80 and nobody makes a separate controller for one, even if you found one, hence a lot of hassle with ECM and theft control. Could be done but not easily.

Comparing built C4s to stock TH400s isn't really fair. The TH400 behind my old '74 T/A stood up just fine behind the 1970 GTO 400 that was hitting it. The TH400 may be heavy but not as heavy as a C6. Plus, it's a bit dimensionally smaller from what I recall so, easier to fit inside the sheetmetal.

Users who are viewing this thread