CJ,SCJ,CAMS etc.

az20115.0

Established Member
Close but no cigar.
The engine in the article has a full dry sump oiling system and a little different valve train combination.
We are building lots of Coyote engines for several customers at any given time.
We have had several builds lately that we are building the engine for any given combo in which the customer is on or have failed their second engines from competitors.
Do yourselves a favor and call us first so you can enjoy driving your car vs having it down and waiting.
We spend the same level of care and service for customers building our basic Street Series engines as we do on high end one off builds.

would really really love to see a video of this on your youtube channel

Voltwings

Established Member
Would really love to see the results of all the teardown and everything that happened a few pages back ... unless i totally missed it somehow.

darreng505

Established Member
Hey boys (Happy 4th of July!),

So I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. I did run the car on track back in March. The CJ monoblade kept limping and had a minor excursion into the tire wall (cuz of said limp) and needed a fender and door replaced (it happens), but haven't run the car since then for a few reasons. One of them is getting blind sided with work (which is good because I've now paid off said motor) and two, developed a nagging tendonitus in my shoulder. Soooooo.......lol......nothing juicy. BUT!

The motor was fantastic on track! It pulled so much harder than the stock motor that I was pushed back in my seat and said "Wow" in my head. And I was already condition to a tuned up stock motor. The difference was THAT much. Almost scary.

I'm prepping the car for mid July run. But I probably won't be pushing it too much since a lot of setup changes.

QUESTION: So right now, there is a good amount of smoke spewing out from the catch can when the car is warming up. The shop said its normal blow by. It _does_ seem to subside when the car warms. Just wanted to get opinions on that. Probably the rings are gapped for heat expansion at WOT? I know nothing about this.

Anyway, here's a video of a walk around from March and a couple looks at the car now. It's actually back at rev auto for a tune update for the SCJ TB and possible swap to the GT500 dual blade.

[youtube_browser]5CL56_c40BU[/youtube_browser]

New fiber vented fender here (sorry for big pic, can't seem to resize them in a post).

18409701123_1f741b4fb7_k.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127431812@N08/19400351872

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
Not seated because the engine is just warming up? Or not seated because the motor is just breaking in still?

In other words, the rings seat after it warms up?

New engine, however its also possible the blow by when cold is due to the low tension rings they are using, or maybe also the super thin ring setup, its one of the tricks of the road race trade that you run low tension rings and gain HP on a NA engine setup careful to make sure there is zero blow by when up to temperature that can cause detonation. I highly doubt the rings are on upside down, or that the gaps were wrong and something fractured, or they didn't hone the cylinders correctly, etc.. I'd bet its designed in..

Ask Livernois they should be able to tell you instantly if its part of the design, if not, time for a tear down again.

PS. Total seal recommends break in with dyno oil only then change to synthetic oil after 2000 miles.

Edit: I just read this from your earlier posts about the pistons:
"Thinner Ring Pack for Reduced Friction"

That's probably what is causing it.

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Thanks for the info man.

Yeah. I emailed them but they're on vaca. Waiting to hear back.

But let's assume it's not "a feature".

What would be the test? Compression test? The dyno will show detonation right?

The ECU will throw a wrench if there's real problem too right?

darreng505

Established Member
Stock boss brembo calipers. SS lines. GT500 brake booster. 302r ABS. Girodisc rotors. Hawk 70/60 pads. Castrol SRF.

It's a beast system. Just ask pufferfish who rode shotgun once last year.

Voltwings

Established Member
Full VTA crankcases will also smoke a little as opposed to one where a vacuum is applied to the crankcase. The vacuum just helps the piston rings seat a little quicker / easier, but with the amount of rpm / hp / and heat you're running, it is almost guaranteed to be a ring gap with some expansion room built in.

ford20

Established Member
Hey boys (Happy 4th of July!),

So I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. I did run the car on track back in March. The CJ monoblade kept limping and had a minor excursion into the tire wall (cuz of said limp) and needed a fender and door replaced (it happens), but haven't run the car since then for a few reasons. One of them is getting blind sided with work (which is good because I've now paid off said motor) and two, developed a nagging tendonitus in my shoulder. Soooooo.......lol......nothing juicy. BUT!

The motor was fantastic on track! It pulled so much harder than the stock motor that I was pushed back in my seat and said "Wow" in my head. And I was already condition to a tuned up stock motor. The difference was THAT much. Almost scary.

I'm prepping the car for mid July run. But I probably won't be pushing it too much since a lot of setup changes.

QUESTION: So right now, there is a good amount of smoke spewing out from the catch can when the car is warming up. The shop said its normal blow by. It _does_ seem to subside when the car warms. Just wanted to get opinions on that. Probably the rings are gapped for heat expansion at WOT? I know nothing about this.

Anyway, here's a video of a walk around from March and a couple looks at the car now. It's actually back at rev auto for a tune update for the SCJ TB and possible swap to the GT500 dual blade.

[youtube_browser]5CL56_c40BU[/youtube_browser]

New fiber vented fender here (sorry for big pic, can't seem to resize them in a post).

18409701123_1f741b4fb7_k.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127431812@N08/19400351872

Car sounds amazing Darren!

I am going to go with twistedneck on this one. I believe that with the rings and forged pistons it will create a little bit more blowby than we would be used to with the stock engine. Did Livernois ever get back with you?

Also, your cam drive kit came out :D

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=24693

$416.90 from Tasca and it comes with the Boss 302 tensioners, not the 2015 as confirmed by Steve just so there isn't any confusion.

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Car sounds amazing Darren!

I am going to go with twistedneck on this one. I believe that with the rings and forged pistons it will create a little bit more blowby than we would be used to with the stock engine. Did Livernois ever get back with you?

Also, your cam drive kit came out :D

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=24693

$416.90 from Tasca and it comes with the Boss 302 tensioners, not the 2015 as confirmed by Steve just so there isn't any confusion.

Thanks man. Yeah, I have the kit, but had to source the parts separately and paid twice as much back then. It's a great deal from tasca though.

The shop confirmed the motor is all good other than a bad O2 sensor (oddly no engine light). The blow by makes sense, but I'm a newb compared to you guys on this topic and when I see smoke billowing out from my hood, my first reaction is....WTF....lol

DTL

Established Member
How are they holding up to roadcourse duty? Any cracks? Are they the carbon or glass version? Thanks!

darreng505

Established Member
No cracks so far. Work well.

Another topic coming up with the motor (which is doing well). The excessive blow by. It's been suggested to me to put a 3 vane Vac pump (e.g. Moroso) on. Moroso has a really nice kit but it lacks a mounting bracket for coyote motors. Has anyone dealt with this before, have any recommendations? Another person at the track suggested using bigger AN lines from the valvetrain to the catch can so it doesn't choke the motor not dispensing the blow by fast enough.

ford20

Established Member
Do you know what they mean by from the valvetrain? I can't picture that in my head. Either way, doesn't the 3V Vaccuum pump already come with -12 lines?

Users who are viewing this thread