CJ,SCJ,CAMS etc.

DTL

Established Member
I have a magnum 2.66 trans with a .85 5th gear and 4:10 gears. Open to opinions on this set up.

That's the exact same rpm range, trans ratios and rear gears I have, albeit with barely over 480rwhp. 2nd gear is still usable, coming out of low-speed turns. There are 4.30s available, if you search around. I wouldn't go any shorter, but that's just me. 3.73s weren't quite enough for my taste.

darreng505

Established Member
They re programmed their head porting cnc program to work with boss head casts (new ones i bought). Ported. Bowled. Polished and additional hand work for cam clearance.

ford20

Established Member
Gotta pay to play especially at our level. That's about what I payed for my RGR stage 2 heads.

darreng505

Established Member
Yeah. Stage 3 type heads are pretty much $3k plus some hand work. What livernois will do is make you a custom cncd head from new castings. Design for your application. Same with RGR and all the best engine shops.

You got to be a little crazy like Sean and me to overlook the $'s per gain. Heads like that will work best in a complete system.

darreng505

Established Member
Update:

So I may have mentioned I was having an issue with the engine pushing the dipstick up and spitting oil. We put the updated ford valve cover, dipstick tube (longer) and dipstick (which has a much firmer fitment) and I no longer have the issue.

Honestly I think the cams just shook it loose. The old designed dipstick didn't seat particularly tight.

Also. Upped the gears to 4.56 and wow! Outran an Ariel atom off a standing start sprint race to T1 (I was on pole). Hopefully video of that soon.

Oh and T2R differential too. Amazing piece of hardware.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Awesome! 4.56 was a good choice then? How is 5th gear now? Did it help you stay out of 2nd?

What was the old diff that you switched to the T2R from? What do you like better about it? Sorry for all the questions. Haha!

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Awesome! 4.56 was a good choice then? How is 5th gear now? Did it help you stay out of 2nd?

What was the old diff that you switched to the T2R from? What do you like better about it? Sorry for all the questions. Haha!

I don't use 2nd now, but 5th gear doesn't last long enough after the swap and runs out about 2 seconds before end of back straight. lol. Because I swapped it to .86 based on the 4.10's so the only thing to do now is up 6th gear to like a .75. lol The gearing is great. They don't last as long each, but they pull harder and rev faster. In my build that's a crucial strategy.

I had the old stock boss T2. The issue I was trying to resolve was the stock T2 would "shimmy" the rear end on my test corner exit throttle. A back end wiggle if you will. That was the T2 trying to find the best wheel to put the traction and in doing so, not finding any. It was being over-powered by the load transfer. Now with the T2R (higher bias) no more shimmy. Back end sinks and connects.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Dang! Bit of a catch 22 then. :/
I guess you really did need something like a 4.30 ideally.

So, the T2. At what point did it start to give you issues? Is it overpowered with the new engine? Are there any drawbacks to the T2R, like harshness of engagement?

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Dang! Bit of a catch 22 then. :/
I guess you really did need something like a 4.30 ideally.

So, the T2. At what point did it start to give you issues? Is it overpowered with the new engine? Are there any drawbacks to the T2R, like harshness of engagement?

Still getting used to the T2R.

The T2 is fine unless your cornering force reaches a point where it overpowers the bias of the diff. For me once I got the car balance through the turn I focused on exit throttle. If I wait until the car is pointed straight, no problem with the T2 but if I want to get on throttle earlier T2R better. Also put the 302s rear sway on.

I think all the pieces that need to be there now are.

Users who are viewing this thread