Catted Singers vs Catless Bassani

Davisenvy

Established Member
I currently switched from a O/R Bassani X with Flowmaster catback to the Borla Stinger catback. This is just too loud for me. I am planning on either putting cats on the Stinger set up or leaving the off road X and getting a Bassani catback.

My question is, will I have problems adding cats to my car with 620 whp? My car was tuned with out cats. If I do add cats to my Bassani X, what cats would you recommend?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Get a H pipe if you can. It'll tame it down a tad. I have a catless ProChamber and Stingers and it kicks ass. Doubt you'll find a ProChamber that isn't huge $$.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What Gen Stingers do you have? Stingers (especially Gen1) are loud, plain and simple. If what you have is really too loud for your tastes, I would recommend you switch to a less obnoxious catback. There are a number of options depending on your tastes, but Bassani would certainly be one of them. Removing the cats does increase the loudness, which is in large part why people remove the cats. Adding cats will not be an issue. There are factory cars making way more than 620whp that come with cats. You will need a new tune.

JMO.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I ran Stingers without cats for a while in my 01. As you've noticed it was too much. So I always ran cats with them. A few months ago I switched to a real muffler and a couple weeks ago I deleted the cats. It's fairly tame now, but still has the bark at WOT. I can cruise at 80 and talk to my wife normally now. So my suggestion would be to find a Bassani catback and skip the cats.

Side notes, if you run a good cat you shouldn't need a retune. But the wideband will tell all. And JMO, but H pipes don't pair well with Stingers. Granted, I was running the stock mid pipe with mine, but the H just gave it a weird tone. It's hard to describe, but it bugged me enough to throw the catted X back on ASAP.

Davisenvy

Established Member
I think I read one of your comments on another post about the H pipe with the Stingers. On video the Stingers with bassani x catted sounds good. My set up now, I'm not so sure the cats will tame down as much as I'm going to need. One way or the other I'm spending close to $500 or more to fix and really hoping to dodge another tune.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
both my cars have the borla stingers with a catted bassani x. i love it.

before you do anything, just add cats to your bassani x and see how you like it. it will quiet it down a lot.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I’d trade one of my Prochambers for a MAC H-pipe that is new

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

PC03GT

Established Member
Do I have to use Bassani Cats or Can I use something else like Magnaflow?
The bassani is a modular piece, meaning if you go back with bassani you can essentially take the cats on and of without removing it from the manifolds. I believe anything else you will have to remove the whole mid pipe

Davisenvy

Established Member
I called Bassani and they said they're at least 6 weeks out on the cats. They said to just find something that is 13 inches long and use it.

Why would you buy another x pipe instead of putting cats in the one I have. I have the delete pipes in place now and it wouldn't be too hard to just put some cats in.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The problem with the other cats is Bassani uses a weird size. I picked up some stainless pipes to get rid of my cats and the slip joint on the pipes are a touch bigger then the Bassani pipes. I put some orange RTV inside and ran the clamps down with an impact. Everything seems ok. But YMMV.

Before anyone asks, no, I'm not selling the cats.

Davisenvy

Established Member
I watched a video of Justin SVT where he has a Pypes OR X and Borla Stingers. It doesn't sound near as clappy as mine. The over all noise isn't so much of the problem, its the clappy, raspy noise. I also read that UPR X pipe is less raspy. Is there any truth to this?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Buy generic cats from summit and put them in the Bassani X. Get ones close to the same length as the flow tubes in the X pipe now. Cut the new cat to length and be done with it. Can easily be reverted back to current status if you don’t like it.

Davisenvy

Established Member
Would a universal cat be safe for my car at 620whp? I know it isn't a lot compared to some, but I don't want damage done to my car. I have found a couple Magnaflow and Flowmaster universals that might work..

03' White Snake

Established Member
Would a universal cat be safe for my car at 620whp? I know it isn't a lot compared to some, but I don't want damage done to my car. I have found a couple Magnaflow and Flowmaster universals that might work..
Yes they will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread