Catch Can/Separator

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn't realize Lethal carries them now. I bought the bare one like this and made my own lines.

You would be correct.
You sure, Bob? I know the catch cans are J&L, but the air intake products are now under SB Filters.

The J&L catch cans are top notch. I bought one for my Genesis G70 3.3T. Easy install. Does what it is designed to do. Here's a photo of mine installed on the passenger side, just to the upper right of the cross brace.

1708557826804.jpeg

Enlarged
1708557936388.jpeg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I run JLT/OSC on my ‘19 Explorer and ‘20 Mustang GT.

Here’s a pic of my JLT/OSC Oil Separator can I dumped after 1,400 miles during the month of January ‘24. Our ‘19 Explorer has ~66,000 miles on it. I installed this Oil Separator at 8,000 miles.

BTW, If I dumped it with the same miles during the same mileage during the month of August, all you’d see is 0.1 oz of oil. No water.

1708557441184.jpeg

Links to couple SVTP threads:

Link to oil smell I repeatedly encountered when JLT/OSC sent me the wrong hoses on my ‘19 Explorer. The oil smell seeped through it. I think it was the third set they sent that finally solved the problem… for now.

I also want to add that JLT/OSC customer service has been very, very good to deal with. That’s why I continued with them and purchased the Oil Separator for my Mustang from them. It’s also a company here in the USA.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You sure, Bob? I know the catch cans are J&L, but the air intake products are now under SB Filters.

The J&L catch cans are top notch. I bought one for my Genesis G70 3.3T. Easy install. Does what it is designed to do. Here's a photo of mine installed on the passenger side, just to the upper right of the cross brace.

View attachment 1829722

Enlarged
View attachment 1829723
Yes sir. I remember when they went to S&B. I searched for the JLT catch can for Tracy's car and it lead me to the J&L stuff.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I run JLT/OSC on my ‘19 Explorer and ‘20 Mustang GT.

Here’s a pic of my JLT/OSC Oil Separator can I dumped after 1,400 miles during the month of January ‘24. Our ‘19 Explorer has ~66,000 miles on it. I installed this Oil Separator at 8,000 miles.

BTW, If I dumped it with the same miles during the same mileage during the month of August, all you’d see is 0.1 oz of oil. No water.

View attachment 1829721

Links to couple SVTP threads:

Link to oil smell I repeatedly encountered when JLT/OSC sent me the wrong hoses on my ‘19 Explorer. The oil smell seeped through it. I think it was the third set they sent that finally solved the problem… for now.

I also want to add that JLT/OSC customer service has been very, very good to deal with. That’s why I continued with them and purchased the Oil Separator for my Mustang from them. It’s also a company here in the USA.
Did you ever find out where the oil smell was coming from due to the wrong hoses? I've never heard of oil smell seeping through a hose. Was it too thin?

03' White Snake

Established Member
do you need a tune adjustment or can it just be used without pcv?

I went from open VC breathers to an open breather catch can, my PCV was deleted long time ago, so no tune adjustment was needed.

I am not sure if deleting the PCV and going to a catch can would require a new tune or not. I would not think so. No new air is being introduced to the motor.

1FastFord

Established Member
I went from open VC breathers to an open breather catch can, my PCV was deleted long time ago, so no tune adjustment was needed.

I am not sure if deleting the PCV and going to a catch can would require a new tune or not. I would not think so. No new air is being introduced to the motor.
ok, thank you

01yellercobra

Established Member
do you need a tune adjustment or can it just be used without pcv?

I went back and forth on my 01 multiple times and never needed a tune adjustment. I think the main thing is not to have one valve cover open and the other one connected to the intake. Go with one or the other.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Did you source your own lines Tony

Thanks, I was worried about the idler. How much wiggle room on the drivers side? I'm running a little bigger idler.
View attachment 1829804
I can get a better picture today. It’s close and I feel mine is tilted towards to the drivers side of the car a bit. For mine, plenty of clearance. Stay tuned…

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Brad, you painted the underside of your hood? It looks REALLY nice!

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Did you ever find out where the oil smell was coming from due to the wrong hoses? I've never heard of oil smell seeping through a hose. Was it too thin?

The oil smell, which is especially potent in engines with turbos, emanated from the hoses and was a known issue when I contacted JLT.
Thats what surprised me too.

Excerpt from JLT email I n ‘21:
“We can get you new hoses sent out with a different type of line that has also alleviated the smell customers have in very cold climates like the one you live in. The smell is coming through the hoses during the cold months and causing the under hood and interior odor.”

To be clear, wife and I smelled oil during cold and hot temperatures.

I had chased that smell for >6 months. Explorer was under warranty at that point, so I even took it in for them to look at.

The original, 2nd, and 3rd set of hoses allowed smell to emanate. 4th set solved it.
(Pics posted below of 3rd and 4th set).

IMG_3529.jpeg

IMG_3530.jpeg

(^I improved this pic for clarity)

It’s in this thread:

As I posted earlier, it was frustrating. But I think JLT did what they could, and finally did solve the problem.
I know what it’s like solving manufacturing problems.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The oil smell, which is especially potent in engines with turbos, emanated from the hoses and was a known issue when I contacted JLT.
Thats what surprised me too.

Excerpt from JLT email I n ‘21:
“We can get you new hoses sent out with a different type of line that has also alleviated the smell customers have in very cold climates like the one you live in. The smell is coming through the hoses during the cold months and causing the under hood and interior odor.”

To be clear, wife and I smelled oil during cold and hot temperatures.

I had chased that smell for >6 months. Explorer was under warranty at that point, so I even took it in for them to look at.

The original, 2nd, and 3rd set of hoses allowed smell to emanate. 4th set solved it.
(Pics posted below of 3rd and 4th set).

View attachment 1829813

View attachment 1829814

(^I improved this pic for clarity)

It’s in this thread:

As I posted earlier, it was frustrating. But I think JLT did what they could, and finally did solve the problem.
I know what it’s like solving manufacturing problems.

good info just I ordered some cheap AF hose on amazon for my catch can setup, we'll see how it goes

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Yes sir. Fittings and hoses sourced from elsewhere.

Think I got everything from ADD W1. They sell catch can parts/accessories.
Thanks, never heard of them. Have a link?
good info just I ordered some cheap AF hose on amazon for my catch can setup, we'll see how it goes
I used trans line/hose when I did my homemade deal.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread