Catch Can/Separator

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The oil smell, which is especially potent in engines with turbos, emanated from the hoses and was a known issue when I contacted JLT.
Thats what surprised me too.

Excerpt from JLT email I n ‘21:
“We can get you new hoses sent out with a different type of line that has also alleviated the smell customers have in very cold climates like the one you live in. The smell is coming through the hoses during the cold months and causing the under hood and interior odor.”

To be clear, wife and I smelled oil during cold and hot temperatures.

I had chased that smell for >6 months. Explorer was under warranty at that point, so I even took it in for them to look at.

The original, 2nd, and 3rd set of hoses allowed smell to emanate. 4th set solved it.
(Pics posted below of 3rd and 4th set).

View attachment 1829813

View attachment 1829814

(^I improved this pic for clarity)

It’s in this thread:

As I posted earlier, it was frustrating. But I think JLT did what they could, and finally did solve the problem.
I know what it’s like solving manufacturing problems.
Interesting. I think I found the answer on that one. It has to be related to the hose barrier technology. This is from the Gates website.

BARRICADE® FUEL INJECTION HOSE​

Barricade® fuel injection hose is a low permeation, multi-fuel compatible hose that virtually eliminates fuel vapor loss thanks to our 5-layer GreenShield® barrier technology. Works with multiple fuels (approved for use with leaded and unleaded petrol, diesel, biodiesel up to B-100, E-10, E-15, E-85, 100% methanol, ethanol and gasohol fuels).

I was one of the lucky ones Bob. It came painted.
You sure were. To my eyes, it looks like it was just painted. It also looks like silver. Might be just the photo.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Interesting. I think I found the answer on that one. It has to be related to the hose barrier technology. This is from the Gates website.

BARRICADE® FUEL INJECTION HOSE​

Barricade® fuel injection hose is a low permeation, multi-fuel compatible hose that virtually eliminates fuel vapor loss thanks to our 5-layer GreenShield® barrier technology. Works with multiple fuels (approved for use with leaded and unleaded petrol, diesel, biodiesel up to B-100, E-10, E-15, E-85, 100% methanol, ethanol and gasohol fuels).

You sure were. To my eyes, it looks like it was just painted. It also looks like silver. Might be just the photo.

Yes.

So “Gates 4219BG Barricade Hose” should listed in J&L/OSC’s BOM for Explorer Sports, and all other Oil Separators designated for turbo applications.

Users who are viewing this thread