carlsbad 11/29 - confirmed!

stang99

Yes, she is a fine looking Cobra. Not a blemish or bit of dirt on her. I imagine that you would literally break into tears if you got caught in an unexpected rain storm. If nothing else, it would mean hours of detailing to get the car back to normal. You'd take my car away from me for cruelity to Cobras, if you saw it.

Originally posted by 03DOHC
That's OK she's a good looking garage queen. :-D

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Capt. Shockwave
What time is everybody going to show up? Im gonna be there tommorow, woo!

:rockon: Well Track is supposed to open @ 11AM. We will be in the line out side of C-bad by around 10am or so :thumbsup:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
Yes, she is a fine looking Cobra. Not a blemish or bit of dirt on her. I imagine that you would literally break into tears if you got caught in an unexpected rain storm. If nothing else, it would mean hours of detailing to get the car back to normal. You'd take my car away from me for cruelity to Cobras, if you saw it.

:lol: U always got some funny stuff to say....very colorful ;-)

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
i'm SOL for traction - the only set of drag radials in the state are in redwood city. :bash: oh well... i need the "finesse the clutch" practice anyway. :burnout: at least the et streets will be here tuesday for the next track trip...

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by FuShnickens
i'm SOL for traction - the only set of drag radials in the state are in redwood city. :bash: oh well... i need the "finesse the clutch" practice anyway. :burnout: at least the et streets will be here tuesday for the next track trip...

:( Well at least u can try & hit 125mph at the finish line :eek: :rockon:

stang99

Back in the day, we never talked of ET's. It was always about trap speeds and who won the head's up race. ET's really became all important when bracket racing was introduced everywhere. If you ran a faster trap speed in the day, everyone knew that you had the more powerful machine.

Originally posted by FuShnickens
:lol: yeah, screw the et's. it's all about the trap speed. ;-)

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Back in the day, we never talked of ET's. It was always about trap speeds and who won the head's up race. ET's really became all important when bracket racing was introduced everywhere. If you ran a faster trap speed in the day, everyone knew that you had the more powerful machine.

Huh???
Back in our day we ALWAYS talked ETs.

With equal reaction times, the better ET wins the head's up race. You get to the finish line first with the better ET.
And for a manual transmission car, that ET will be the result of the launch, shifting skill, timing the shift correctly for your power curve, and then overall power. Many times a skilled racer in a less powerful car will eliminate a less-skilled racer in a more powerful car due to one of the 'non-power factors.
And, of course, the best ET with a crappy RT usually equals LOSER. You can lose outright by redlighting (which happens over and over at the strip), and then I have also lost .4-.5 on RT many times, but I seldom vary .4 on the ET.
I have seen variations in trap speeds of 5 mph on my car, same day, same driver, with the ET within .1

I may be missing something... so everybody can fire away.
Or, Tetge and I may have finally put the entire forum to sleep.
JW .

stang99

Back in the day, we did not run as many automatics at the strip. Most fast cars were sticks. And, we didn't have four speeds so we only had to shift twice at the most. Traction, as it is known today, was not there. Fouling was always an issue so it paid to know the flagman. When he lifted the flag you could get a jump if you were into his style. There were no Christmas tree lights in the day, thankyou. Wouldn't it be a kick if the San Fernando drag strip were still running? Mighty handy for those who live in the Valley.

I forgot to put in the part about 15 cent a gallon premium gasoline and having to milk the cows and take care of the chickens before walking five miles down a dirt road to hitch a ride to the strip.

Last edited by a moderator:

stang99

Yes, I was there when they introduced the hand crank. That was really a big improvement over having a bunch of people push you until the car started. The tires back in the day were not too good either. There was this thing called a blowout that used to happen when you least expected it. Since there was no such thing as power steering, a blowout on the front could be very exciting. That's why we always tried to put our best bald tires on the front. We used the gearbox to slow down on steep mountain roads since nobody had any expectation that the drum brakes of the day could hold you back for any length. We lived in fear that the car would jump out of first. The gear shift was on the column and it took some serious skills to shift fast. Can you say vapor lock? Ah, the good old days, when only Cadillacs had a/c. May they never come again.
I forgot generators which never seemed to be able to keep up with the car's demands for electricity. Alternators are one of the 12 wonders of the world, along with the telephone, electricity and indoor plumbing.

Last edited by a moderator:

03DOHC

Established Member
Yes, I was there when they introduced the hand crank. That was really a big improvement over having a bunch of people push you until the car started. The tires back in the day were not too good either. There was this thing called a blowout that used to happen when you least expected it. Since there was no such thing as power steering, a blowout on the front could be very exciting. That's why we always tried to put our best bald tires on the front. We used the gearbox to slow down on steep mountain roads since nobody had any expectation that the drum brakes of the day could hold you back for any length. We lived in fear that the car would jump out of first. The gear shift was on the column and it took some serious skills to shift fast. Can you say vapor lock? Ah, the good old days, when only Cadillacs had a/c. May they never come again.
I forgot generators which never seemed to be able to keep up with the car's demands for electricity. Alternators are one of the 12 wonders of the world, along with the telephone, electricity and indoor plumbing.
How many dinosaurs did you outrun? I bet them velociraptors were scary back in the day.:-D

Users who are viewing this thread