• C5 Z06

Votes: 136 42.1%
  • 03/04 COBRA

Votes: 187 57.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maddmax1999

Established Member
I need your opinion. I no longer have my cobra. So I'm hoping to get into my next car within 6 months from now. I need to get a house before I get an other car. The problem is I'm not sure what to get. I'm a Ford fan and all my other cars have been mustangs. Lately Vettes have been really growing on me. So my question is what would you get a c5 z06 or a 03/04 cobra? :shrug:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The only Z06 I would get rid of my Cobra for is a C6.

BTW: Why is this in Pics and Videos? :??:

Brandon619

Established Member
Well I've never driven a 03/04 Cobra but I've driven a 0'something Mach 1 and the don't handle very well. I'm assuming the Cobra handles the same? The Cobra has good power but the Z06 has power and handling and good brakes. I won't put my flame suit on for posting such bias Vette info on a Ford site.

Both are good cars with and both have there own qualities but the Vette will win across the comparison board.

Slow99x

Established Member
The Mach 1 is a solid rear axle car and stock to stock cannot out handle the 03/04 Cobra's IRS. I personally hate the seating position in a Vette but I like their styling and potential. I have two kids that occasionaly need to ride in the back of my Cobra so I couldn't buy a Vette anyway. I don't know your situation so it's hard to make an objective suggestion.

maddmax1999

Established Member
I have no kids as of now. I also have a DD. The car would be more of a weekend driver. Has anyone had both?

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
money value in the long run.... zo6 hands down. bolt on power and fun of having one of the top stangs, cobra all the way.

if i was going to spend that much money on a car, it would be the z06. just class all the way with the chassis and power to back it up

Brandon619

Established Member
The Mach 1 is a solid rear axle car and stock to stock cannot out handle the 03/04 Cobra's IRS. I personally hate the seating position in a Vette but I like their styling and potential. I have two kids that occasionaly need to ride in the back of my Cobra so I couldn't buy a Vette anyway. I don't know your situation so it's hard to make an objective suggestion.

I was not aware of the IRS on 03/04, but only two seats is a good thing.

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
I've had a c5 (non-Zo6), and 2 03' Cobras. If you want crazy torque and straight line performance, get the Cobra. Parts for Cobras are cheap, and they are easier to modify without breaking the bank. I loved my c5 vette, but after a while, sitting on the damn ground while driving gets kind of old. If you want outstanding handling and top speed stability, get the Vette hands down. Parts for the Vette are NOT cheap though.... The Vette also has a much better stock sound system (Bose).

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I really think it depends on what you plan on doing with the car.

If you're wanting something for straight line performance.drag racing. Definitely get the Cobra. If you're looking to auto-x or road race, definitely go with the Z.

If you're kind of a jack of all trades type guy, I still think the z fits the bill better. It moves quickly, and handles great. Plus it gets a ton better fuel mileage out on the highway than the cobra.

I'm reaching that fuel economy is even a concern since you have a DD.

Having had an 2003 Cobra, 1999 Cobra, 2002 Mustang GT and currently owning a 2008 Mustang GT/CS I would say...go with the vette.

The mustangs are great, dont get me wrong. But, they only do one thing better than the c5 Z06, and that's straight line acceleration. The caveat there however, is that you've got to modify the Cobra to do that. Stock for stock the C5Z should run down the Cobra pretty easily.

The vette will likely be cheaper to insure as well. At least based on my experience. My C6Z is cheaper to insure by about $30.00 p/month than it is to insure my 08 GT. Although, for whatever reason the S197 cars tend to have high insurance rates.

Something to keep in mind though.

Jaysin

Established Member
I love both personally. Never driven either though so my opinion prob doesnt matter. Im wanting a Terminator as my next ride, I love the styling, power, and exclusive-ness of them. Another thing that really sways me from wanting a Vette over the Terminator is the people that own them. While there are douchebags and irresponsible people that own every make and model of a car, the community for the Terminators are alot better imo. Im not saying that because im on svtp either, i've spent plenty of time on corvetteforums, and ls1tech, and the community surrounding the Terminators is alot more enjoyable and lively imo. Though I hope to actually own both at one point in my life, but you know how that goes. Im one of the very few who tend to like the c5 Z a little bit more than the c6 Z (though both are sick). I love the 01 Speedway White Z06s, not to keen on there oil consumption issues, but nothing an engine swap cant take care of!

Edit: ^^ Whoa, didnt know the Z's were cheaper to insure than a Cobra/GT (wtf?) Wonder how much cheaper a C5 Z would be to insure vs. a Terminator?

Last edited:

maddmax1999

Established Member
I thought insurance on the vette would be higher being that it's a two seater. That's one of the reasons why I have to wait 6 months. In 6 months an accident clears off my record.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread