Bye bye number 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbt

Banned
Ton of bullshit in this thread......Shaun just put it nicely.

I installed an aftermarket flywheel and clutch in my 2011 and NEVER had to perform a crank sensor relearn. My car was datalogged after the clutch replacement and there was nothing unusual.

I have no plans to contribute much to this site further however I felt a need to clear this up some. Also, it isn't just #8 that takes a hiatus as some want to claim. I would recommend those suggesting such do some research.

Datalogging on my 2011 showed cylinders #4 and #7 running leaner vs. all others.

Carry on. ;-)

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Ton of bullshit in this thread......Shaun just put it nicely.

I installed an aftermarket flywheel and clutch in my 2011 and NEVER had to perform a crank sensor relearn. My car was datalogged after the clutch replacement and there was nothing unusual.

I have no plans to contribute much to this site further however I felt a need to clear this up some. Also, it isn't just #8 that takes a hiatus as some want to claim. I would recommend those suggesting such do some research.

Datalogging on my 2011 showed cylinders #4 and #7 running leaner vs. all others.

Carry on. ;-)

Well thanks for your input. I am sure everyone can rest easy now because you set them straight with your opinion....

Entrenched

Established Member
I had to do the crank relearn on mine after my clutch install. If you have access to a Ford IDS tool you can do this in about 5 minutes. It just involves plugging in the tool, picking the right drop down, rev the engine, and let it fall back to idle. My car was throwing all kinds of cylinder misfire codes before we did this.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
I had to do the crank relearn on mine after my clutch install. If you have access to a Ford IDS tool you can do this in about 5 minutes. It just involves plugging in the tool, picking the right drop down, rev the engine, and let it fall back to idle. My car was throwing all kinds of cylinder misfire codes before we did this.

So if you have a procharger and a tune on the car. Can a dealer do this relearn with an aftermarket tune or do they need the computer to be stock?

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
Its got about 1500 miles on it and about 30 passes at the track on the bottle since then. So I dunno. :shrug:

The problem is it maybe off very little and it may just be a little bit of negative timing so you could be commanding 19* of timing on the bottle and you could really be at 9* of timing slowing down your car and not blowing it up

Shaun@AED

We've had to do crank relearns.
Seems to be hit or miss, but more hit than miss.
It can not hurt anything having the relearn done....and some shops do have IDS's at their disposal, aside from dealers. If your car is modified, call up your local Ford shop. (Diesel shops have IDS's as well).

The one that bakes my noodle is the Trackey instructions.... Says after programming some cars may require a crank relearn.
Why would a reprogram need a crank relearn? Unless the data got erased somehow during re-programming. If this is the case whose to say an extended disconnection of the battery wouldn't erase the data?

These cars have the capability of re-learning crank/cam position...why require an IDS for the process? I would think this could be a normal feature of the standard tune program.

WBT:
I know why those 2 cylinders ran lean. It's different in every cal, but PM me if you are interested in how to fix it.

D.T.R

Established Member
awesome information here
coffee.gif

yellowrubiu

Established Member

Same thing here, I had a leaking rear main seal which was addressed but they didn't do the crank relearn after the work was done. My car would misfire anytime I got the RPMs above 5K. After some researching I found someone on one of the forums who had experienced the same problem and had the crank relearn done, and this took care of it. I also found the details below that someone else had posted on that thread. After the crank relearn was done on mine the misfiring stopped.

21474 SOME VEHICLES COULD EXHIBIT MISFIRE CODES AFTER CERTAIN REPAIRS - MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES
SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ON BOARD DIAGNOSTICS (OBD) MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE LEARNING CAPABILITIES MAY EXPERIENCE THE MIL ILLUMINATING ACCOMPANIED BY ONE OR MORE ENGINE MISFIRE CODES P030X IF THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR PROFILE (MP_LRN) IS NOT RELEARNED FOLLOWING CERTAIN HARD ENGINE REPAIRS. THE MP_LRN DATA IS NO LONGER CLEARED WITH A KAM RESET OR BATTERY DISCONNECT. REPAIRS THAT REQUIRE RELEARNING THE MP_LRN DATA: CRANK SENSOR,CRANK SENSOR, TRIGGER WHEEL, ENGINE TIMING, DAMPER, CRANKSHAFT, ENGINE, FLYWHEEL/FLEXPLATE, CLUTCH (MANUAL TRANS), PRESSURE PLATE (MANUAL TRANS),TORQUE CONVERTER (AUTO TRANS). FROM THE IDS TOOLBOX SELECT "POWERTRAIN", THEN "SERVICE FUNCTIONS", THEN "MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE CORRECTION" AND FOLLOW THE PROMPTS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/26/2010

21463 2010-2011 5.0L/6.2L - MISFIRE CODES P0300-P0316
SOME 2011 MUSTANG VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.0L ENGINE AND 2010 F150 AND 2011 SUPER DUTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.2L ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ILLUMINATING ACCOMPANIED BY ONE OR MORE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0300 THROUGH P0316. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR PROFILE (MP_LRN) BE RELEARNED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE PC/ED PINPOINT TESTS FOR THESE CODES. FROM THE IDS TOOLBOX SELECT "POWERTRAIN", THEN "SERVICE FUNCTIONS", THEN "MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE CORRECTION" AND FOLLOW THE PROMPTS. IF ONE OR MORE OF THE MISFIRE CODES RETURN AFTER PERFORMING THE RELEARN PROCEDURE, REFER TO THE PC/ED PINPOINT TESTS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/17/2010​

Sosick

Established Member
They said they aren't fixing it. I will now look into a lawyer and into an engine. Can't have my car not running, it's my daily... Anybody want to recommend a shop? Im sure they can build me an upgraded motor for less than the 9k Ford said. This really blows that Ford knows there are issues as seen in their own releases but they don't want to fix the cars. Aside from that, why build a car that they are now putting track packs etc on and you don't want people to mod cars. Hell I should have got a tune, at least I would understand what's going on now.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
They said they aren't fixing it. I will now look into a lawyer and into an engine. Can't have my car not running, it's my daily... Anybody want to recommend a shop? Im sure they can build me an upgraded motor for less than the 9k Ford said. This really blows that Ford knows there are issues as seen in their own releases but they don't want to fix the cars. Aside from that, why build a car that they are now putting track packs etc on and you don't want people to mod cars. Hell I should have got a tune, at least I would understand what's going on now.

Before you lawyer up, contact Ford Customer Service and get a case setup. Ford under no circumstances will work with you once you've gotten a lawyer. A simple phone call or two may save you time and money with this.

If CS is still not wanting to work with you on this, then after you've exhausted that avenue, go to the lawyer.

A lot of people end up getting screwed over more by not letting the company handle this itself.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Depending on the tuner you might have avoided this issue all together.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Depending on the tuner you might have avoided this issue all together.

According to the OP, his car has never been tuned.

It appears instead to be a possible issue where the repair of his transmission was not completed properly which caused an engine failure. But because ford sees a computer code that could also be there during a battery disconnect, they are saying it was tuned.

If this is truly the case and the car has never been tuned, he definitely needs to get on the horn with Ford CS first and if that doesn't produce a result a lawyer.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Well I won't be going in detail on that on the INTERNET

I think that's an easy one to answer. Put back the stock tune on then crank the engine until the baterry dies with all the accesories on. Then who are they to say what happened if the battery is dead even if i ts throwing the p100 code. Just a guess lol

Sosick

Established Member
Before you lawyer up, contact Ford Customer Service and get a case setup. Ford under no circumstances will work with you once you've gotten a lawyer. A simple phone call or two may save you time and money with this.

If CS is still not wanting to work with you on this, then after you've exhausted that avenue, go to the lawyer.

A lot of people end up getting screwed over more by not letting the company handle this itself.

Tried that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread