Bye bye number 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
The PCM is like the BLACK BOX and all the information is stored there if his 5.0 had a aftermarket tune installed.

This is not true the only thing that they see is some codes if you don't run threw the drive cycles that removes the codes and your f**ked. NO BLACK BOX.

Last edited:

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
All this talk about crank relearn if you change the clutch and flywheel. What if you have a procharger like myself and you do a clutch flywheel change. How would you have this relearn done?

Go to a dealer and tell them you replace your flywheel and need a crank relearn. It will take all of 10min to do but they will probly charge .5 to do it.

Last edited:

grabber blue gt

Established Member
I spoke with JDM the other day and they said the same exact thing. The PCM will only show a code (same as resetting the battery p1000), and the reason why people get screwed is cause you cant blow cyl#8 and go through the proper amount of driving cycles with a blown motor. This is just what they were telling me, but he said there is nothing different on these new PCM's other than it stores the code and more info on how the car was running

davidhuff

Established Member
This is not true the only thing that they see is some codes if you don't run threw the drive cycles that removes the codes and your f**ked. NO BLACK BOX.
So your saying you can remove the after market tune,reinstall the stock tune and drive thru all the drive cycles and ford can not detect that you ever had a after market tune?That is great news if that is true.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
So your saying you can remove the after market tune,reinstall the stock tune and drive thru all the drive cycles and ford can not detect that you ever had a after market tune?That is great news if that is true.

It's not true. The general consensus is that Ford IS going to be able to tell if you've tuned your car.

GabeMarlin

V8/RWD Fanatic
Established Member
It's not true. The general consensus is that Ford IS going to be able to tell if you've tuned your car.

The P1000 thing is true. Look at the TSB warning dealers about aftermarket tunes and read the trouble tree. It advises the tech to look for a P1000 DTC. This code is only set after the PCM KAM memory is wiped (after a reflash or power removal) or monitors are reset. I'm not saying that they can't figure it out somewhere else, like the GEM for the DLC, just that the P1000 code is a real thing.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Definitely right. Any time the transmission is out, a crank relearn must be done. The work order from having my transmission replaced has a crank relearn on it.

With the sophistication of the new PCM's if something isn't repaired properly, you can certainly cause damage to an engine.

There was a case over at TMS not too long ago of a stock car going in for a transmission replacement and immediately going back after the car was returned for a popped motor. This car as well had the #8 piston fail.

People get hung up on that #8 though. It's the hottest slug in the engine, so it's only natural that it would go first if something wasn't running correctly.

When I pulled the tranny to install my converter, I replaced the flexplate with out a problem.....do I need a crank re-learn?

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member

Yes this very true a week of normal driving should do the trick.

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
When I pulled the tranny to install my converter, I replaced the flexplate with out a problem.....do I need a crank re-learn?

Yes and no it is possible that you got it back to the same spot but i would not test it. I would got a crank relearn.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member

That I'm not sure of. I'm not an ASE mechanic, nor have I been trained on the coyote engine. However, considering there was a crank re-learn on my transmission replacement, that's a telling sign. If techs are doing it after major repairs, it might at least warrant looking at.

cbaty08

Established Member

I would say yes; a dead giveaway is if you get a mis-fire.

I had two trannies replaced now and they forgot BOTH TIMES to do this; from this I had 3 different mis-fire occurrences and all of them were during higher RPMs while in gear... like merging with umph. One even while the dealer had it in their hands. :p

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member

I know what I am talking about and have seen facts so do not spread misinformation lets hear facts.

grabber blue gt

Established Member
I know what I am talking about and have seen facts so do not spread misinformation lets hear facts.

Basically what you said is true. The code will pop up if its tuned (same code as resetting the battery), but in order to clear it "as if it wasnt tuned" you would need to complete the proper driving cycles on the stock tune this way all the info from the stock tune is shown on the PCM.

Only thing that sucks is, how do you drive approx 100mi with a blown cylinder

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
Basically what you said is true. The code will pop up if its tuned (same code as resetting the battery), but in order to clear it "as if it wasnt tuned" you would need to complete the proper driving cycles on the stock tune this way all the info from the stock tune is shown on the PCM.

Only thing that sucks is, how do you drive approx 100mi with a blown cylinder
Well I won't be going in detail on that on the INTERNET

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
I would say yes; a dead giveaway is if you get a mis-fire.

I had two trannies replaced now and they forgot BOTH TIMES to do this; from this I had 3 different mis-fire occurrences and all of them were during higher RPMs while in gear... like merging with umph. One even while the dealer had it in their hands. :p

Its got about 1500 miles on it and about 30 passes at the track on the bottle since then. So I dunno. :shrug:

Shaun@AED

1. Disconnect battery
2. Remove ECU
3. Give ECU to large dog as 'chew toy'
4. Have car towed to dealer with dog and ECU in back seat

Problem solved

jas11151990

Established Member
What are major first indicators your number 8 may be going?

sorry for the dumb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread