Votes: 112 24.2%
  • H-pipe w/o cats

Votes: 79 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

astippich

Established Member
If you don't want it really loud(which it probably is right now if you have stingers) than leave it alone. If you want louder than you have now and still deep, mean and growly than go with catted h. If you want a more exotic sound go with an x. Prochamber seems pretty good with stingers too from the ones I've heard. And my mrt-catted h/stinger combo do not sound like glass packs! There is an occasional glass pack rap between 2500 and 3000rmp at initial wot and only depending on air and engine temp. They rap for a second or less and then sound fricken unreal. I've had people pull up next to me on the highway at least ten yimes in the last month since I put this combo on to tell me my car sounded great! Guys in their 20's thru 50's! Check fush's terminator site to hear stingers with a prochamber and hear them with a catted x. http://03cobra.g33ks.org/staticpages/index.php?page=20040116143435264 If you use the search function there are also a few clips of mrt catted h and stingers on the svt site(this site) and I almost forgot STINGERS ARE LOUD!

astippich

Established Member
One more thing, I had a olds w/455 rocket and glass packs, stingers don't sound like that did or I'd remove them.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Do you have to do any cutting or welding to put the bassani o/r x-pipe on?

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
I wonder if wrapping the exhaust with header wrap would quiet my stingers and bassani x-pipe down? I had a subarur with a 3" exhaust borla header ect. When I wrapped it it quieted down tremendously. At least inside the car. That is all I car about!

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Stinger and Prochamber or MRT H-pipe..... Haven't heard anything as good as either of these two combos yet with the Stingers. I'd choose the Prochamber, personally.

Jpjr

Established Member
Originally posted by Blk03SVTCobra
On all the sites I've ever been on though 140052 is the Stinger part #. Even on Borla's site, the catback they have listed for Part# 140052 is the Stinger. Perhaps another vendor could weigh in on this. Check out Borla Part# 140052 here.

-This is correct. I just bought the Stingers.. part No. 140052

venemous99cobra

Established Member
I would say to go with a Prochamber as well...it is very deep sounding and has a very nice deep tone at idle...but it still pretty quiet in the car and even outside the car...although you DEF know it is on, lol. When you are taking off from an idle if you are easy or even only moderatily easy on the gas the combo has a very deep rumble to it with very little drone. People will definatley hear you coming, however it is not obnoxious at all so if you are wanting to be heard and admired by most rather than have people run the other way (most people are lame i know) I would very highly recomend this setup. I have recieved coments from so many randown people at stoplights and gas stations the past few days I have had this setup...more than any other setup I have had since I think it is loud enough that EVERYONE will sit up and take notice of the car...but also very balanced and refined sounding unlike say a cammed/stroked vette.

As far as WOT goes...well....just STAND BACK!!! This exhaust is loud! Not break the windows loud....but probably the loudest setup I have personally heard on a car that is not just insanely loud all of the time, such as a car that is running LT's and a OR Pipe and Cutouts or an SLP loudmouth or something. When the thing gets revved at you and you are standing behind the car you can feel the sound pulses hit you almost how it feels to have loud CLEAN bass thump at your chest from a high quality subwoofer. The stingers with the Prochamber are a force to be reckoned with, and have an incredibly deep tone that is very much like an H pipe....but with a tiny bit of racecar X pipe like sound thrown in due to the generally almost hybrid design of the Prochamber. I would say that for my taste I would like nothing better than this!

I just switched the Prochamber out from a Bassani Catted X pipe and I would say that the X pipe made it sound a little too raspy or something at anything but WOT and even then it was a little too high pitched or something (couldn't put my finger on it really...but not enough BASS). The X-Pipe sounded GREAT with my Bassani system...like an exotic muscle car (it wasn't loud enough though....and I knew that by going with an ORX it would prob be too high pitched and INSANE loud, although I haven't heard that combo in person so I just sorta went with the Stingers and Prochamber based on soundclips I've heard)...but the Stingers IMO sound even better....like an oldschool musclecar but not like every other one you hear....the best of both worlds in terms of sound characteristics of X and H pipes...like Newschool Oldschool, haha! I hope that this will help you out...I am sorry for the long post....but I know how agonzing exhaust system choices can be and I wanted to try and give as much info possible. Anyone with any other questions please feel free to ask!

P.S.-From what I have heard from 2 different people that went with an ORX on their Stingers they said they don't sound very good at all...CRAZY LOUD...almost unbearable...and not really any nice tone to it...just LOUD! Not really what I was looking for and maybe not what you are looking for either....so I figured I would throw that in there. Anyway GOOD LUCK!

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
If you're worried about being loud, leave the stock H pipe.

I have Stingers with the catted Bassani X pipe (new style hi-flo cats that came out 1 year ago). It's LOUD .... trust me .... over 2000 rpms and it hurts .... on highway trips, I cannot hear the mach 460 and my ears are left ringing after the trip. I am wearing earplugs from now on.

Mike

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
astippich said:
Check fush's terminator site to hear stingers with a prochamber and hear them with a catted x. http://03cobra.g33ks.org/staticpages/index.php?page=20040116143435264

Which of those two clips is which? The second Fushnickens exhaust vid is obviously a Prochamber/Stinger combo, but what was his combo on that dyno??

astippich said:
Here's a link to mrt catted h/stinger combo. Not the best vid, a little too much blower whine. www.svterminator.com/videos/KABOOMDRIVEBY.MOV There is also a car vid I saw recently on here of a dyno run of a guy with this combo, it's better quality than the kaboom vid

Linky no worky. :-D

Black01Stang

Established Member
I won that type of Borla's off Ebay, same part number and all.

stingers.jpg

And here's a video of my car on the dyno.
Link to dyno run.

I don't really know if these are the same or not. Anyhow, maybe this will help.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had a catted X-pipe, but with a Steeda catback. I never really liked the "exotic" sound of the X-pipe. When I heard Juiced46's H-pipe I was hooked. It brings back that classic muscle Mustang tone that the X-pipe loses. I would never buy an X-pipe again. JMO.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Here is my Stinger video

Here is a link to my stinger video. This is with the stock H as well. The first section of the video is a 2500rpm idle, then the next section is a 4000rpm idle then the last section is a couple of 5500rpm revs. The last section is a drive by, as you can tell 1st has no traction and i was babying second gear going thru the turn so i did not get sideways. Hope this helps.

Borla Stinger Video Link

pld

SoOntRebel
Established Member
Unless your running a LESS aggressive cat back besides Stinger's or SLP'sI would highly suggest leaving well enough alone; take it from me I have a MRT catted H-pipe sitting in my shed that lasted 1.5 hours on my car (Waaaay Tooo Aggressive).It changes the sound in alot of ways especially punching the throttle on the highway in a lower rpm it sounded Truckish.LOTS and LOTS of drone.TOO many different opinion's better hear a setup on a car for yourself to decide and don't waste your money like I did! As far as an X-pipe, forget about it unless you like imported, high pitch, foreign sounding exhaust noise.To me that belong's on a different car. :pop:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread