Boosting on 10.2 CR

SlowSVT

Established Member
When I looked online around me for e85 I found 4 stations within a 60 mile radius.

But Hey SlowSVT, I don't understand the fundamentals of the compression picture you displayed. From what I understand, a combustion chamber of larger volume does not correlate to being able to hold more compressed volume than a smaller chamber. Why could you not fit an equal volume of a/f from a low compression motor and compress it into a much smaller chamber as long as the right fuel is used?

Let's let 50q's get the first crack at answering this. I am being told that I'm too ignorant to undestand this stuff.

SlowSVT

Established Member
When I looked online around me for e85 I found 4 stations within a 60 mile radius.

But Hey SlowSVT, I don't understand the fundamentals of the compression picture you displayed. From what I understand, a combustion chamber of larger volume does not correlate to being able to hold more compressed volume than a smaller chamber. Why could you not fit an equal volume of a/f from a low compression motor and compress it into a much smaller chamber as long as the right fuel is used?

On a side note, I am not able to purchase the cobra... I suprisingly feel depressed. I have a sense of FOMO (fear of missing out) and that I am not living the life I could be. I've been suppressed my whole life of anything higher than a 5 cylinder. A cobra has been my dream car since 2004 and my dream was so close! A heads up to california buyers that want to buy out of state! You cannot get a loan on a vehicle out of state. It has to be shipped here first, registered, then smogged. Then after you pay full coverage insurance you can get the loan. So in other words you have to have the car paid in cash, then get a loan when its all said in done. *sigh*....

Benz

It doesn't work like that. What everyone is fighting is the limit you can compress the charge before it detonates timing not withstanding.

I lifted one of my responses to a thread on the NE Cobra section with some edits rather than re-writing it and should clear a few things up for you.

It's "charge volume".

A flat top piston mod motor chamber volume not including deck height and head gasket thickness is 52 cc's, A dished Terminator slug adds another 17 cc of charge volume to the chamber which is a 30% increase. That translates directly on how much fuel the engine can process before the point of detonation with most of the added energy going directly to the crack shaft. The laws of physics comes into play here and to argue otherwise is going to be an uphill battle. Under no circumstances would I choose to use flat top pistons in a blown application (with the exception of E85) and to do so you are leaving hp on the table.

A 99 Cobra engine with a forged bottom end and a PD blower will hit a brick wall around 425 hp on pump gas where an 03/04 can get close to 600 :)idea: Hay! that's about a 30% power advantage imagine that) Switch both engines to race gas and that gap will still be there. What ever combo you can come up with that 30% charge volume disadvantage thing will be literarily impossible to overcome.

For a centrifugal or turbo bumping the compression will help reduce the effect of lag and a poor throttle response which is a good idea plus the fact they make mad hp "on top" to begin with but the more you add the less potential the motor will have not being able to pack more boost into the engine. 9:1 tops for me with the exception of E85 which would probably gets me close to 11:1. A PD blown car works great at 8.5:1 and to raise it is pointless and detrimental...........IMO

I modeled this in CAD to giver you a better idea on how this relates to the mod motor. These are dimensionally accurate including the volumes.

10-2-1_zpsdaadba24.jpg

85-2-1_zpsbb6a55b6.jpg

I hope that helps.

Regarding your purchasing dilemma. If your finances are tight wait until your on better footing. Terminators are generally better cared for than you garden variety Mustang that gets put out on the curb once it outlives its usefulness so they will be around more than most.........or you can make one.

Stanger00

Established Member
You forget to mention cam selection and timing of inlet valve opening and closing with exhaust overlap. Static compression is a guide but not the rule because a cam can make or break even a low compression motor

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Thankyou slow, I just miss understood the main talking point.
And as to STANGER00s point, I had a small epiphany to why a cam is even changed in a boosted mod motor. If a cam is used in a N/a motor to boost VE, is its purpose the same in a boosted car? Why not crank up the boost just more to hit the amount of VE you want? I know eventually you will starting pinging
With detonation once you hit a certain boost level, or even the adiabatic efficiency of the s/c
Will not allow anymore power to be gained past a certain point, but if the goal is just a regular high hp street car rather than a 1/4 mile king, why put in a cam?

95SC

Banned
A 99 Cobra engine with a forged bottom end and a PD blower will hit a brick wall around 425 hp on pump gas where an 03/04 can get close to 600 :)idea: Hay! that's about a 30% power advantage imagine that) Switch both engines to race gas and that gap will still be there. What ever combo you can come up with that 30% charge volume disadvantage thing will be literarily impossible to overcome.

whatever you smoke please share with us because it hits hard :lol:

evolve

Established Member
I saw one that is in mission valley thats about 13 miles from my place in la jolla. How much did the conversion cost you, whats your mileage look like, where did you get it done? Any regrets, is it worth it, do you promise to tell the truth, the whole truth so help you God?

Haha! I swear! I bought the Lethal conversion, which was ~1k with 485lph pumps. I am sitting at 32k miles now and I did all of the work myself. I do all of my car work myself. No regrets since I am running two tunes: one for e85 and one for 93. I am moving to MD, so I may need the 93 tune eventually.

Stanger00

Established Member
Thankyou slow, I just miss understood the main talking point.
And as to STANGER00s point, I had a small epiphany to why a cam is even changed in a boosted mod motor. If a cam is used in a N/a motor to boost VE, is its purpose the same in a boosted car? Why not crank up the boost just more to hit the amount of VE you want? I know eventually you will starting pinging
With detonation once you hit a certain boost level, or even the adiabatic efficiency of the s/c
Will not allow anymore power to be gained past a certain point, but if the goal is just a regular high hp street car rather than a 1/4 mile king, why put in a cam?

My point was not to forget about dynamic compression.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Haha! I swear! I bought the Lethal conversion, which was ~1k with 485lph pumps. I am sitting at 32k miles now and I did all of the work myself. I do all of my car work myself. No regrets since I am running two tunes: one for e85 and one for 93. I am moving to MD, so I may need the 93 tune eventually.

It's a shame you are leaving. I was really looking forward to bothering a local for all things so-cal has to offer to cobra guys. Def see a lot more lambos / bentlys than I see svt's. Good luck with the move, and thanks for the response!:rockon:

SlowSVT

Established Member
You forget to mention cam selection and timing of inlet valve opening and closing with exhaust overlap. Static compression is a guide but not the rule because a cam can make or break even a low compression motor

True statement. I didn't want to get into that because it starts to complicate things quite a bit. Cam selection will not have has as much effect as the amount of boost level which will vary in a pretty dramatic way. Figuring dynamic compression with a bower in the mix will be like trying to catch a moving bus.

Last edited:

95SC

Banned
Not sure what you mean by this I always share. Perhaps you can elaborate?

:beer:

My head hears from reading your dump posts , looks like you have 0 experience with these cars just posting out of your a$$

I know few 99-01 Cobras that make 440-450 rwhp on stock motors and tiny stock 03-04 Eaton blowers running pump gas . I know a 01 Cobra with built motor [flat tops even more CR then stock ] 2.8KB that makes 560rwhp on pump gas . My brothers 4.6DOHC motor with .20 over flat tops [around 10.5:1 CR] made 440rwhp thru auto trans with loose TC running non intercooled blower on pump gas .

you seriously think you will make 30% more power than me
Let's do this ,

you have motor with 8.5:1 CR and 2.3 PD blower on race gas

I have motor with 10.5:1 CR and 2.3 PD blower on race gas

I'll make more power then you , more TQ , way better power band , run cooler , and get better MPG

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
My head hears from reading your dump posts , looks like you have 0 experience with these cars just posting out of your a$$

I know few 99-01 Cobras that make 440-450 rwhp on stock motors and tiny stock 03-04 Eaton blowers running pump gas . I know a 01 Cobra with built motor [flat tops even more CR then stock ] 2.8KB that makes 560rwhp on pump gas . My brothers 4.6DOHC motor with .20 over flat tops [around 10.5:1 CR] made 440rwhp thru auto trans with loose TC running non intercooled blower on pump gas .

you seriously think you will make 30% more power than me
Let's do this ,

you have motor with 8.5:1 CR and 2.3 PD blower on race gas

I have motor with 10.5:1 CR and 2.3 PD blower on race gas

I'll make more power then you , more TQ , way better power band , run cooler , and get better MPG

:dw:

03Steve

Established Member
I am 100% sure my 99 Cobra can make 600+ on pump gas without even beginning to push the RPM limit of the 2.3L Whipple. I have video after video of my car running against similar combos with 2-3 times the amount of boost. I have timeslips, data, and tangible results.

Enough photos and enough talk. Produce a working model.

50q's

Established Member
Keep the boost under 6 lbs you'll be fine

I would stay away from this car it will never make the power it will with a 8:5:1 cr.

Who puts 10.2:1 slugs in a PD blown car? :dw:

That will get expensive and time consuming.

Unless this car is a "steal" I would look elsewhere. Not sure why the previous owner put an aluminum block in a street car where and iron block once was (the only problem an aluminum block solves in this car is a 70 lb weight saving. An iron block solves all the other problems). That and the fact he put high compression pistons running pump gas has me scratching my head.

What you looking at is an iron version of the Teksid block :rockon:

Are you suggesting aluminum will hold-up as well as iron? A material that is softer, melts at 1/2 the temperature, expands at twice the rate making it prone to warpage, soaks up heat like a sponge (something you don't want), is full of aluminum threads and uses steel caps which make line boring "interesting".

In an NA engine aluminum is probably the best choice, add the heat and stress of a blower iron starts to make more sense which is more tolerant of those things.

Aluminum mod motor blocks are known to fail (someone just posted about how their Teksid block warped so badly it wasn't even salvageable). Failures in the iron blocks are almost unheard of.

Benz

All these statements prove your stupidity. I don't need to explain myself, apparently you should stop explaining yourself as it keeps getting worse. Do I really need to explain more. You have argued with everyone in this thread and some reason you still feel correct.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The seller is going to wonder why you would want to make less power at a greater expense.

I've run 10.7:1 with 93 octane for three years now on a 2.3L Whipple. The flat top piston is a great choice, especially on our 4V heads. It can provide a tight quench action with a centrally-located spark plug that will lower the risk of detonation.

Anyone who tells you that a lower compression engine will make more power is flat wrong. My car at 7psi will outrun Whipple cars at 15psi. Plenty of video showing it.

You can get 91 octane, that ratio, and boost level to work just fine. Or you can put lower compression pistons in it, spin the blower harder, make more heat, increase possibility of belt slip, and make less power. Do what you want.
Very good advice! :thumbsup:

At 7psi enough to run [email protected] mph. 500+ I'd guess.

To suppress detonation I have flat top pistons, a tight quench action, and engine timing/failsafes for the combo. Engine coolant temps in the 180-190s. 4.00upper pulley and stock lower.

This used to be somewhat impressive until the Coyotes came along and started making 600+ on single digit PSI and 11:1 on pump.
Yep. 100% correct! :thumbsup:

I'm having a real problem with the claim on an 11:1 Coyote making 600 on pump gas (no octane boost or meth injection on that one either?). Its almost on the verge of detonation NA let alone FI.
Wow, you don't venture out much do you? There are TONS of Coyote's making over 600 on pump gas.

Go ahead and start a thread and ask how many are over 600 on pump gas?
2011-2014 Mustangs - SVTPerformance

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
04 sleeper, my question is why? This car with only 5.4psi and 11:1 comp ratio made 609rwhp. My brain is wanting to know why wouldn't a car with the same exact setup, but only lowering the comp ratio to say 9:1 and increasing the boost to safely run on the same fuel, be able to make a ton more power. It seems there would be a lot more air and fuel to make a bigger bang with the low comp ratio setup than the high comp ration. Thanks

50q's

Established Member
You also need to consider how much less heat is being put out by the turbo. Also that motor is running more efficient without a power adder.

cobracloud

Established Member
This post just shows how much you know about cars :lol: , you got your head stock into 90's and pushrod motors . stock 2 main iron blocks are junk compered to Teksid blocks . 10.2:1 isn't a high compression motor for these day standards [ most of the late cars run 10-12 :1 CR with power adders . 4V modular motors love high compression

OP can run around 10psi safely on 91 octane
agreed-this guy knows nothing,svt god?you have to be kidding me-you want to learn something? come to the shootout and we will teach you something:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread