Boosting on 10.2 CR

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I am a very serious buyer for a cobra with a teksid Block in an 03 cobra with an eaton and a 2.76 pulley. The motor has Je flat top pistons, eagle rods, all in a teskid bored .20 over. CR is 10.2:1, I live in Cali where 91 octane is the highest easily available. There are only 3 e85 stations within a 65 mile radius and I really dont want to do the conversion. With the setup the way it is, does it sound like a ticking time bomb? It has a stock tune with stock intercoolers, which I would soon change after purchase. There is a race gas station by me that sells 100 octane but Im not going to spend $7 a gallon all the time.

SlowSVT

Established Member
well its already obviously above that. What is the pulley pushing right now? 10-11 pounds?

I would stay away from this car it will never make the power it will with a 8:5:1 cr.

Who puts 10.2:1 slugs in a PD blown car? :dw:

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Any other ideas from anyone? I am thinking of getting a quote for some shops to install some high quality low compression pistons if I can get the price lowered from the seller...significantly.

evolve

Established Member
You're in San Diego? I run e85 and there is a station 4 miles from my place. There's nothing wrong with the motors compression.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I saw one that is in mission valley thats about 13 miles from my place in la jolla. How much did the conversion cost you, whats your mileage look like, where did you get it done? Any regrets, is it worth it, do you promise to tell the truth, the whole truth so help you God?

03Steve

Established Member
Any other ideas from anyone? I am thinking of getting a quote for some shops to install some high quality low compression pistons if I can get the price lowered from the seller...significantly.

The seller is going to wonder why you would want to make less power at a greater expense.

I've run 10.7:1 with 93 octane for three years now on a 2.3L Whipple. The flat top piston is a great choice, especially on our 4V heads. It can provide a tight quench action with a centrally-located spark plug that will lower the risk of detonation.

Anyone who tells you that a lower compression engine will make more power is flat wrong. My car at 7psi will outrun Whipple cars at 15psi. Plenty of video showing it.

You can get 91 octane, that ratio, and boost level to work just fine. Or you can put lower compression pistons in it, spin the blower harder, make more heat, increase possibility of belt slip, and make less power. Do what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlowSVT

Established Member
The seller is going to wonder why you would want to make less power at a greater expense.

I've run 10.7:1 with 93 octane for three years now on a 2.3L Whipple. The flat top piston is a great choice, especially on our 4V heads. It can provide a tight quench action with a centrally-located spark plug that will lower the risk of detonation.

Anyone who tells you that a lower compression engine will make more power is flat wrong. My car at 7psi will outrun Whipple cars at 15psi. Plenty of video showing it.

You can get 91 octane, that ratio, and boost level to work just fine. Or you can put lower compression pistons in it, spin the blower harder, make more heat, increase possibility of belt slip, and make less power. Do what you want.

.............says the guy with a live axle, auto, cams, head work, skinnies and only 2 wheels on the tarmac.

How much hp are you putting to the ground running at 7 psi and are you using any method to boost the octane rating or suppress detonation?

03Steve

Established Member
At 7psi enough to run [email protected] mph. 500+ I'd guess.

To suppress detonation I have flat top pistons, a tight quench action, and engine timing/failsafes for the combo. Engine coolant temps in the 180-190s. 4.00upper pulley and stock lower.

This used to be somewhat impressive until the Coyotes came along and started making 600+ on single digit PSI and 11:1 on pump.

SlowSVT

Established Member
At 7psi enough to run [email protected] mph. 500+ I'd guess.

To suppress detonation I have flat top pistons, a tight quench action, and engine timing/failsafes for the combo. Engine coolant temps in the 180-190s. 4.00upper pulley and stock lower.

This used to be somewhat impressive until the Coyotes came along and started making 600+ on single digit PSI and 11:1 on pump.

A 8.5:1 Terminator engine can make close to 600 hp on 93 octane. If you have flat tops why are you running pump gas? Your engine is set-up for E85 or race gas. This doesn't make sense :shrug:

I'm having a real problem with the claim on an 11:1 Coyote making 600 on pump gas (no octane boost or meth injection on that one either?). Its almost on the verge of detonation NA let alone FI.

SlowSVT

Established Member

That will get expensive and time consuming.

Unless this car is a "steal" I would look elsewhere. Not sure why the previous owner put an aluminum block in a street car where and iron block once was (the only problem an aluminum block solves in this car is a 70 lb weight saving. An iron block solves all the other problems). That and the fact he put high compression pistons running pump gas has me scratching my head.

95SC

Banned
That will get expensive and time consuming.

Unless this car is a "steal" I would look elsewhere. Not sure why the previous owner put an aluminum block in a street car where and iron block once was (the only problem an aluminum block solves in this car is a 70 lb weight saving. An iron block solves all the other problems). That and the fact he put high compression pistons running pump gas has me scratching my head.

This post just shows how much you know about cars :lol: , you got your head stock into 90's and pushrod motors . stock 2 main iron blocks are junk compered to Teksid blocks . 10.2:1 isn't a high compression motor for these day standards [ most of the late cars run 10-12 :1 CR with power adders . 4V modular motors love high compression

OP can run around 10psi safely on 91 octane

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Wow there is so much shitty information in here it's unreal.. OP buy the car run 10psi and be happy lol.

Users who are viewing this thread