Boosting on 10.2 CR

SlowSVT

Established Member
This post just shows how much you know about cars :lol: , you got your head stock into 90's and pushrod motors . stock 2 main iron blocks are junk compered to Teksid blocks . 10.2:1 isn't a high compression motor for these day standards [ most of the late cars run 10-12 :1 CR with power adders . 4V modular motors love high compression

OP can run around 10psi safely on 91 octane

I'm sure a Teksid block is way more durable than this peice of junk don't you agree?

Boss50block4.jpg

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
This post just shows how much you know about cars :lol: , you got your head stock into 90's and pushrod motors . stock 2 main iron blocks are junk compered to Teksid blocks . 10.2:1 isn't a high compression motor for these day standards [ most of the late cars run 10-12 :1 CR with power adders . 4V modular motors love high compression

OP can run around 10psi safely on 91 octane

X2. I was going to say the same thing

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I have changed my mind on e85, I am looking into a conversion to be safe and for the future power adders that I will install. Thanks guys for the debates. I'm still interested in what you guys have to say. I'm looking into driving the car home which is 1500 miles away. Once I hit Cali I'm just a little nervous to push the car with 91 octane. Does detonation usually occur WOT heavy load? Or could it happen at cruis?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Not way more but just as much

What you looking at is an iron version of the Teksid block :rockon:

Are you suggesting aluminum will hold-up as well as iron? A material that is softer, melts at 1/2 the temperature, expands at twice the rate making it prone to warpage, soaks up heat like a sponge (something you don't want), is full of aluminum threads and uses steel caps which make line boring "interesting".

In an NA engine aluminum is probably the best choice, add the heat and stress of a blower iron starts to make more sense which is more tolerant of those things.

Aluminum mod motor blocks are known to fail (someone just posted about how their Teksid block warped so badly it wasn't even salvageable). Failures in the iron blocks are almost unheard of.

Last edited:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I dont get the problem? My engine is 9.5:1 and I ran 16psi with a whipple 2.3l on 91 octane for a good while. Now i run 14psi with a 78mm turbo on the same fuel.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'll just say this.. Mihovetz ran a Boss block and junked them.. He will only run a Teksid AL block in his motors.. The Boss blocks have issues over a certain HP with blowing head gaskets since the there is less room between the cylinders, Mihovetz found this out.

This information came from a good friend of mine who works with him.. Sadly I found this out AFTER I bought my Boss block. Also my good friend (Who owns his own shop, if you look in my sig it's them) had a Boss block'd TT car blow out a head gasket... So FWIW, the Boss block ISN'T the end all to blocks lol..

I'm not going to get into the iron vs aluminum debate.. AL is proven in racing.. Road racing, endurance, FI, Drag, Mile runs, etc etc..

racebronco2

Established Member
i'll just say this.. Mihovetz ran a boss block and junked them.. He will only run a teksid al block in his motors.. The boss blocks have issues over a certain hp with blowing head gaskets since the there is less room between the cylinders, mihovetz found this out.

This information came from a good friend of mine who works with him.. Sadly i found this out after i bought my boss block. Also my good friend (who owns his own shop, if you look in my sig it's them) had a boss block'd tt car blow out a head gasket... So fwiw, the boss block isn't the end all to blocks lol..

I'm not going to get into the iron vs aluminum debate.. Al is proven in racing.. Road racing, endurance, fi, drag, mile runs, etc etc..

+1

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'll just say this.. Mihovetz ran a Boss block and junked them.. He will only run a Teksid AL block in his motors.. The Boss blocks have issues over a certain HP with blowing head gaskets since the there is less room between the cylinders, Mihovetz found this out.

This information came from a good friend of mine who works with him.. Sadly I found this out AFTER I bought my Boss block. Also my good friend (Who owns his own shop, if you look in my sig it's them) had a Boss block'd TT car blow out a head gasket... So FWIW, the Boss block ISN'T the end all to blocks lol..

I'm not going to get into the iron vs aluminum debate.. AL is proven in racing.. Road racing, endurance, FI, Drag, Mile runs, etc etc..

Chris

I heard that one too. The thinner wall on the 3.700 bore won't seal as well but something tells me Mihovetz was running a bit more then 15 lbs. The new 5.8 shares the same bore and spacing so it should be interesting how that plays out. Mihovitz stated he doesn't like iron blocks and said the Romeo will only hold 750 hp which is exceeded on a regular basis :shrug: I can understand where he is coming from though. Iron has a lot less "give" than aluminum which is exactly what you want until you yield the block and it cracks. But then again how many people have cracked their iron block? A hot aluminum block will flex and dampen shock loads before it yields and that's exactly what he wants but a flexing block and trust me under those loads it "is" and will play havoc with the bottom end. Longevity is a few rungs down the ladder when you want to win races.

I'm not worried about my Boss having sealing problems. ARP 2000 studs, a Titan copper gasket with a SS wire embedded around the bores and just running pump gas should not be a problem. I think when you start getting into big boost you're likely to run into problems sooner then a 4.6 will.

How well is your engine holding up with the Procharger?

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Chris

I heard that one too. The thinner wall on the 3.700 bore won't seal as well but something tells me Mihovetz was running a bit more then 15 lbs. The new 5.8 shares the same bore and spacing so it should be interesting how that plays out. Mihovitz stated he doesn't like iron blocks and said the Romeo will only hold 750 hp which is exceeded on a regular basis :shrug: I can understand where he is going from though. Iron has a lot less "give" than aluminum which is exactly what you want until you yield the block and it cracks. But then again how many people have cracked their iron block? A hot aluminum block will flex and dampen shock loads before it yields and that's exactly what he wants but a flexing block and trust me under those loads it "is" and will play havoc with the bottom end. Longevity is a few rungs down the ladder when you want to win races.

I'm not worried about my Boss having sealing problems. ARP 2000 studs, a Titan copper gasket with a SS wire embedded around the bores and just running pump gas should not be a problem. I think when you start getting into big boost you're likely to run into problems sooner then a 4.6 will.

How well is your engine holding up with the Procharger?

Ofcoarse he is running more boost than that.. AED was running like 23psi on their setup.. I get that AL will warp and bend before iron will, but with technology now I don't see or hear of many doing that.. Even in road racing and endurance racing. Hell John Griggs runs 10psi though a 11:1 Compression motor with 0 issues on race gas. Lots of the AL blocks now have a lot of other material in them as you know to keep it stable. Mihovetz runs a lot of boost through AL blocks, regardless of how they're prepped, filled etc and that is just down right impressive..

If you only plan on running minimal boost through the Boss block you'll be fine.. Hell there are even people who run LOTS of boost through the boss blocks with 0 issues as well. Maybe it's a isolated event.. Maybe the heads weren't re-torqued after multiple passes that caused them to lift enough to blow them out.. Who knows what really happened.. I haven't heard of to many Boss blocks failing with the head gaskets.. I know that re-torquing headstuds isn't a uncommon thing before races..

I personally run a decent amount of boost through my motor.. I run around at 16/17 and when spinning my motor to 7500 we saw 21psi.. With 0 issues.. My motor is pretty freaking stout and I personally wouldn't hesitate throw even more boost at it.. I'm converting to E85 right now and keeping that same boost, until I get bored and want more.. If the motor goes it goes, and I'll build a AL Teksid motor next more than likely.. But who knows.. I don't like fixing things until they break.. lol..

I really wish that I could build a high compression motor.. Around 10.8-11.1 with my boost and E85.. That would be killer.. Technology has come a long way along with motorsports and engine building.. Big boost and high compression with E85 is a proven thing now, where it used to be low compression and more boost.. If I would have known about E85 and it's benefits and it was proven 3 years ago my motor build would have gone completely different lol..

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Ofcoarse he is running more boost than that.. AED was running like 23psi on their setup.. I get that AL will warp and bend before iron will, but with technology now I don't see or hear of many doing that.. Even in road racing and endurance racing. Hell John Griggs runs 10psi though a 11:1 Compression motor with 0 issues on race gas. Lots of the AL blocks now have a lot of other material in them as you know to keep it stable. Mihovetz runs a lot of boost through AL blocks, regardless of how they're prepped, filled etc and that is just down right impressive..

If you only plan on running minimal boost through the Boss block you'll be fine.. Hell there are even people who run LOTS of boost through the boss blocks with 0 issues as well. Maybe it's a isolated event.. Maybe the heads weren't re-torqued after multiple passes that caused them to lift enough to blow them out.. Who knows what really happened.. I haven't heard of to many Boss blocks failing with the head gaskets.. I know that re-torquing headstuds isn't a uncommon thing before races..

I personally run a decent amount of boost through my motor.. I run around at 16/17 and when spinning my motor to 7500 we saw 21psi.. With 0 issues.. My motor is pretty freaking stout and I personally wouldn't hesitate throw even more boost at it.. I'm converting to E85 right now and keeping that same boost, until I get bored and want more.. If the motor goes it goes, and I'll build a AL Teksid motor next more than likely.. But who knows.. I don't like fixing things until they break.. lol..

I really wish that I could build a high compression motor.. Around 10.8-11.1 with my boost and E85.. That would be killer.. Technology has come a long way along with motorsports and engine building.. Big boost and high compression with E85 is a proven thing now, where it used to be low compression and more boost.. If I would have known about E85 and it's benefits and it was proven 3 years ago my motor build would have gone completely different lol..

Gee, I thought you said you didn't want to get into this debate. I made one remark which some took offense which has derailing the OP thread but it is a good topic for those who are not in the know.

I have no doubt but keep in mind people have had problem with aluminum blocks and they require more attention to detail. Some are successful, others are not.

In a nutshell my philosophy when it comes to engine building is if something has an advantage over another component that's what I use. In my case I want to get many miles on it and when I'm done I don't want to have to screw with it! And from my perspective that is an iron block and there are plenty of reason why that's so. Aluminum is lighter! :banana:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Gee, I thought you said you didn't want to get into this debate. I made one remark which some took offense which has derailing the OP thread but it is a good topic for those who are not in the know.

I have no doubt but keep in mind people have had problem with aluminum blocks and they require more attention to detail. Some are successful, others are not.

In a nutshell my philosophy when it comes to engine building is if something has an advantage over another component that's what I use. In my case I want to get many miles on it and when I'm done I don't want to have to screw with it! And from my perspective that is an iron block and there are plenty of reason why that's so. Aluminum is lighter! :banana:

Heck no I'm not getting into a debate lol!! I'd lose.. :beer: I agree with lots of your points as I have a iron block myself for lots of those reasons that you have one lol.. :beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Heck no I'm not getting into a debate lol!! I'd lose.. :beer: I agree with lots of your points as I have a iron block myself for lots of those reasons that you have one lol.. :beer:

I would not even "flinch" about putting this motor in a marine application :mj:

Good to hear your engine is working out well. You had me worried there was something going on with the statements on your previous post about the Boss block :uh oh:

A Procharged high compression E85 guzzling Boss engine? :eek:

..............I thought you were a road racer?

:burnout:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My car is a everything car right now lol.. E85 on a road racing car will be awesome.. 20min session on a full tank will be just fine.. Just a few 55gal drums in the trailer :).. My car is street/drag/open track car.. It does everything lol.. And does it well :)

SlowSVT

Established Member
My apologies for questioning the OP why the seller installed a Teksid block in his Terminator. I will use more care next time.

Back to topic

I "peeled" this off a similar thread where I posted this and saw a few of the same characters as on this thread LOL. It's a bit over simplistic but illustrates what involved

Question: Which engine can you pack more charge into?

HIvsLOWCOMPRESSIONFIENGINE.jpg

:pop:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread