Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that I made it to LA.

The trip was not as bad as I was expecting. I came in on I-210 (Northern LA) and traffic was heavy, but not horrible.

Shawn meet me at his facility and got my car and trailer situated. Let me tell you, Shawn is a very cool dude. Very laid back and took the time to interact with me and my family. He needed to leave early, but never made me feel rushed.

Sooooo, looking forward to tomorrow's shoot!

BTW, the debate has been settled. Shawn said he wants me to present my gift on camera. Can't wait to see his expression!

I'm on my phone and don't like the way it uploads pictures. So, pictures will have to wait until after my vacation lol. Sorry guys!

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
He made it.

Attachments

• 20221006_205444.jpg
    20221006_205444.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 60

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
He made it.
Yes sir. And damn, traffic in California (specifically LA) is CRAZY!! Holy crap, I don't know how people do it. I would go crazy on that commute on a daily basis lol.

And gas prices? I put 17 gallons in my truck and it was over $100. Jesus Christ. I guess it's put gas or eat lmao!

San Diego is easier to get around. I guess that's why my wife and I vacation here lol.

Thanks again Bob! Really making my vacation a lot less stressful!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

As Bob said, I made it to San Diego.

Today was a CRAZY day to say the least lol. Overall it was an amazing day, but there were a lot of hiccups.

First the good. Shawn is such a great dude. Very professional with me and treated my wife very well at his facility. She waited in his lounge area while we filmed

I gave him the CO Cobra and he really liked it. He did a great job guiding the conversation and keeping things on track during filming. We did an introduction and basically talked about my build. Then he took my car outside and his camera crew got shots of the car from all angles. Then we went on a drive.

Shawn drove my car during the drive by scenes and continued to ask me about my car. The car was loud even with the cutouts closed. Then when it came to the hard driving I got in the driver's seat. I was having a blast dropping the hammer. It was GREAT!

Now the not so good. After the introduction and after we started talking about the engine his camera crew said the audio was no good. So, we had to start all over.

During the shoot planes kept taking off and we had to pause until they departed.

During the drive, a bolt had backed out on my shifter handle and came undone. So, Shawn parked the car on the side of the road. His film crew took me to a shop that wasn't very far away. I grabbed an Allen wrench and a Phillips screw driver and I got it fixed in less than 5 minutes. Then we were back filming.

After everything was done we drove back to his shop. He closes out the video and thanked me for bringing my car out.

I asked him when the video may be posted. He said there are two episodes before mine, so the video of my car will probably not get posted until the end of October.

I then asked him out of all the garage built cars he's filmed where does mine rank? He told me my car is in the top 5.

So, all in all it was an amazing day. Even with the hiccups the day exceeded my expectations!

What a blast I had and I can't wait for the video to be posted.

Oh, and his crew are class acts. Very friendly and made sure my wife was comfortable and taken care of while I was having my fun.

Big time thank you to Shawn and his crew. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience for me....

Now it's time to get ready for Sunday's car show. What a GREAT vacation!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Very cool, Glen. Glad you're having a great time. Oh, I highly recommend that you use blue threadlocker on your shifter bolts.
Thanks Bob! Yes, I will be adding the thread locker.

The funny thing and lesson learned here is the bolt that backed out I never touched. It came installed from the manufacturer. So, be sure to always double check and not assume it's right when you receive your parts.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sometimes vibrations can cause a bolt to back out, Glen. Which is why I always recommend blue threadlocker when folks buy one of my shifter gasket kits. I had it happen to me once.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Never hurts to double check everything, and Locktite is your friend. I wanted to make it down to SD to meet you Glen and check out your ride but family commitments prevented that this year, pretty disappointed I couldn’t make it

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Sometimes vibrations can cause a bolt to back out, Glen. Which is why I always recommend blue threadlocker when folks buy one of my shifter gasket kits. I had it happen to me once.
That is true Bob. I didn't mean to imply it may have been an oversight on the manufacturer. My car is pretty aggressive and I do like to drive it hard. So, a bolt backing out due to vibration is a possibility on this car.

This actually happened to me before. When I had the 2003 Cobra brakes on this car back in 2010 I didn't put any thread lock on my caliper bolts. So, a bolt backed out and my caliper came undone as well.

Nothing major happened. Just had to pull over and get a tow home. Needless to say when I built the car this time I put thread lock all over the brake parts lol.

Guess I need to make sure I use thread locker on more items more often lol.

I'll probably head to Bob's house tomorrow and put some thread lock on those bolts for some peace of mind.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Never hurts to double check everything, and Locktite is your friend. I wanted to make it down to SD to meet you Glen and check out your ride but family commitments prevented that this year, pretty disappointed I couldn’t make it
That's true Bullitt. I'm no mechanical engineer and continue to learn from my mistakes or oversights. And checking everything and using thread locker should be more of a common practice in my situation.

I'm just glad all the mistakes or oversights have been minor issues thus far. Guess working out the bugs is all part of the garage building process.

It would have been great to meet you. However, I definitely know and understand the family commitment responsibilities. Maybe another time or at another venue. But, I appreciate you wanting to meet me and see the car in person.

I asked Bob, last night, if he thought the car looked better in person and he said it does. That was cool to hear, but also indicated to me I need to get better at taking pictures lmao!

Last edited:

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Correcting the little bugs and minor things is all part of the fun. I have been pulling wrenches most of my life professionally and as a hobby and I am still learning new things all the time. It’s all part of the fun.

I think your pics are great, mind you, that comes from someone that can barely take a pic with a cell phone camera. Love your ride and hope you come home with the big trophy!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Correcting the little bugs and minor things is all part of the fun. I have been pulling wrenches most of my life professionally and as a hobby and I am still learning new things all the time. It’s all part of the fun.

I think your pics are great, mind you, that comes from someone that can barely take a pic with a cell phone camera. Love your ride and hope you come home with the big trophy!

Thank you Bullitt! That's awesome you're a professional mechanic and still learning new things.

Yeah, it has been fun getting my car right. Sucks the shifter decided to come off during the shoot. I'll just ignore the stupid ass comments some people will post lmao.

Appreciate your comments on my pictures. I've been looking to take some pictures with a better background. I think this Sunday's car show will fit the bill.

I've brought my 03 Cobras to this show and have never won anything. I'm hoping the 65 will show my Cobra's how it's done lmao. I appreciate you Bullitt!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I don't wanna brag or nothin.....
Lmao! That's awesome Bob! Hope nothing tripped you up. There are a couple of things that need to be done to fire it up and then move it lol.

Thanks for letting me use some of your tools to work on it today. Trying to avoid or minimize issues, like the shifter handle, on the way to the car show tomorrow.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, went to Bob's house today (@01yellercobra) and got some minor things done.

Got my shifter handle pulled back out. I then put lock tight on the offending bolt (pictured) and put it back together.

I then jacked the car up and checked everything under there (alt, starter, p/s, steering components, calipers, ball joints, headers, exhaust, suspension, driveshaft bolts, etc.). Everything else checked out.

So, I'm as ready as can be unless something else reveals itself. Oh well, car has to be driven to find things sometimes lol.

As mentioned this car has just over 100 miles on it. Trip to the show tomorrow will be 40 miles round trip.

Fingers crossed lol!

20221008_105200.jpg

20221008_105322.jpeg

20221008_105449.jpeg

20221008_112005.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread