Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I think the pictures look fine.

And for those wondering I was backing it back into the garage after Glenn left.
Thanks Bob! When I view the pictures on my phone the first one looks like it posted sideways lol (But I fixed it now).

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

I made it back home safe and sound. I have 2 statements right off the bat.

1. MAN, I had an amazing time in California. AutotopiaLA shoot was a blast, Mustangs by the Bay was amazing this year and Bob (@01yellercobra ) and his wife were so much help! Best vacation yet!

2. Damn is it good to be back in Texas!!!!! California is charging over $6 a gallon for regular unleaded. "F" you and your gas prices California ROFLMAO!!! I got 16 gallons here in TX for $59. In California 17 gallons cost me $108. I don't know how you guys out in California do it.....
20221011_085201.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have been trying to figure out how to document my vacation. So, I figured might as well start from the beginning.

This is the day I loaded up to head out. Our first stop was my step daughters house in Phoenix. By the time I got the trailer and loaded everything up we left around 2PM. With stops, gas, eating, etc. we arrived in Phoenix around 9:30PM.

Let me tell you towing an enclosed trailer is like towing a damn boat anchor. Holy crap this thing was heavy and the wind resistance. I had one issue. A dust cap came off one of the trailer wheels less than a 100 miles into the trip. Grease had slung all over the wheel. So, I did a MacGyver and used a tin pan (like the one you cook a Turkey in) and a clamp and covered it up. Worked like a charm. And when I got to San Diego Bob was kind enough to put more grease in the bearings. Hub never got hot once.
20221004_093637.jpg

20221004_093557.jpg

20221004_094257.jpg

20221004_094343.jpg

20221004_111816.jpg

20221004_111826.jpg

The next day I got up early and headed to LA. Once we got into LA the traffic wasn't as bad as I thought. It was congested, but moving. I called Shawn and told him I was about an hour out. He said he was at the shop and would meet me. Once I arrived at his shop he got me situated. Got my car and trailer parked.

He asked me to return the following day around 10:30AM. Wife and I left, checked into a guest house we rented and then went to go eat. Next morning we got up, had breakfast and headed to Shawn's shop.

This was the trailer parked outsides Shawn's place.
20221005_133833.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Once we arrived at Shawn's shop we got the car positioned and Shawn gave me some basic tips and his crew got me mic'ed up. Then we got started. My wife was taking pictures while we were doing the introduction process.

Once he introduced me I gave him the diecast car. He really seemed to like it.
Shawn 04 Cobra Gift 01.JPG

Shawn 04 Cobra Gift 02.JPG

After the introduction it was time to start talking about the car itself.
Shawn 04 Cobra Gift 03.JPG

Here he is asking me about the Kindig airfilters.
Shawn 04 Cobra Gift 04.JPG

Then we started talking about the suspension and wheels/tires and the brakes.
Shawn 04 Cobra Gift 05.JPG

Finally we talked about the interior. After that it was time to go driving. I don't have any pictures or videos due to the filming process and my wife waited in Shawn's lounge area during that process.
Shawn 04 Cobra Gift 06.JPG

Overall it was a great day (minus the shifter handle coming loose). On the way back to his shop we actually seen Jay Leno driving one of his early steam vehicles back to his garage. Pretty cool!

Then they took a few more pictures of the car and then helped me load the car. Shawn and his crew was great. Very professional and nice. They made sure my wife was taken care of as it took us 6 hours to complete the shot. I was loving it LOL.

I asked Shawn when the video may be posted and he said he has 2 episodes before mine, so 3 to 4 weeks. That puts it around the end of October or beginning of November. CAN'T WAIT LOL....

Leaving LA after the shoot was horrible. Due to all the hiccups during the shoot I didn't leave until 4:30PM. It took me an hour and half to go from northern LA to southern LA. We ended up arriving at Bob's place around 9PM. Bob helped me unload the car and get my trailer parked. Then my wife and went to go get something to eat and then checked into our condo in Pacific Beach.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I went back to Bob's house the next day and put lock tight on the shifter bolts and got under the car to check everything to see if anything else might cause problems.

Everything checked out. Then on Sunday I went back to Bob's house and I followed him to the show. The car ran amazing. If it weren't for the shifter handle the car would have performed flawlessly.

Once I got to the show and parked I was immediately approached and asked questions. A couple guys from the vintage site were there and introduced themselves.

I got the car set up and spent most of the day talking to people and receiving very positive compliments on the car/build. It was a perfect day and one I had been looking forward to for years.

In the AM it was hazy and overcast. That actually made it nice for set up, but not nice for picture taking. However, I got the car cleaned up and added some tire dressing before the sun came out.
20221009_084326.jpg

20221009_084356.jpg

20221009_084409.jpg

20221009_093830.jpg

Then the sun came out and really made that paint pop. Holy crap does it look good (If I do say so myself LOL).
20221009_112206.jpg

I think this picture here is going to become the new wallpaper on my desk at work :D .
20221009_112210.jpg

20221009_114543.jpg

And here I am with the cars very first award. SWEET!!!
20221009_144555.jpg

Pretty cool trophy even if it does have a Dodge and Chevy on it LOL.
20221011_100000.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
More of my competitors.

20221009_102716.jpg

20221009_102724.jpg

This guy here was very interested in my car. He did a lot of similar things with shaving things off his car, going with 5 spoke wheels and some black accents. He was asking about my door poppers as he needs some.
20221009_102925.jpg

20221009_102932.jpg

20221009_103024.jpg

20221009_103031.jpg

20221009_103034.jpg

20221009_103043.jpg

20221009_103222.jpg

20221009_103230.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Wow, check out this car Shawn just posted. I guess it's 65 Mustang month for him or something LOL.

This car was bought, not built. However, it is beautiful.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The location was great. The ocean backdrop is the icing on the cake. Man, you had a lot of really nice competition in your Class. Glad you had a great time, and an awesome vacation.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The location was great. The ocean backdrop is the icing on the cake. Man, you had a lot of really nice competition in your Class. Glad you had a great time, and an awesome vacation.

I agree with you Bob. That location is amazing. Even if you get tired of looking at cars you can look out into the bay and watch the boats and naval ships. There are a couple nuclear aircraft carriers docked on the other side of the bay. They have boat tours going on and the tourists wave at you. Just an all around great location.

Problem is the city or investors want that property for business purposes. I guess they feel a beautiful public park doesn't make them any money. So, they want to destroy it and put up something that makes them money.

So, I believe that venue/event will only be there a few more years and then the developers will come in and ruin it for the general public.

Thank you for your compliments/comments Bob!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
AWESOME! I just received a text from Shawn. Looks like we are a go for today.

Shawn: Your video will go live today. Watched it yesterday and it's really good. We left out the shifter breaking as the audio failed for some reason but it's a really cool video and you left some nice black stripes on the ground.

(HA HA HA SWEET!)

Me: Woo Hoo! Thank you so much Shawn! Been VERY excited about this video my friend. Everyone in my family has been looking forward to it. I'm happy about the shifter handle on one hand because I didn't want people making Fix Or Repair Daily comments, but disappointed because fixing bugs and chasing gremlins is part of car building. Please pass on my gratitude to your crew.

Shawn: Same for me on the fix but it's a cool video. I'll make sure to let the guys know and please let me know what you think later when you watch it. Hope you like what we did. Considering all the issues we had with planes, audio, shifter...it comes off like a perfectly simple shoot.

As soon as it's posted I'll post it here for everyone to see. If you have a YouTube account please provide feedback on what you think in my video. Can't wait to read everyone's comments.

Feel like a kid on Christmas LMAO!!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I didn't know about your dad helping with the car. That adds to it IMO.
Thank you Bob! Yeah, this car has a ton of sentimental value to me. Another reason why I never got rid of it even when a body shop told me it was too rotten and I needed to start with a better shell. I refused and my brother started doing metal work in 2010. Then after seeing what he did I decided to go full bore in 2020.

VERY happy with how everything turned out in the end and really appreciate my Dad for helping me get this car back in 1989......

Users who are viewing this thread