Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Check it out everyone, one of my coworkers sent me this image. Guess my video is being shared on other sites. Pretty cool. They even changed the title/picture a little. I think this was on Yahoo, but the article is on a website called motorious.....

Here is the Yahoo link.

Article on motorious:

65 Link.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I saw this funny error in the first article. LOL. ".....striking it out to the massive 427 cubic inches".

Pretty cool how quick word got out about your awesome build. Glad you and your Mustang are getting such deserved recognition.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I saw this funny error in the first article. LOL. ".....striking it out to the massive 427 cubic inches".

Pretty cool how quick word got out about your awesome build. Glad you and your Mustang are getting such deserved recognition.
There was another error in the next sentence Bob. Said prize instead of piece of American lol...

Thank you Bob! Very kind of you to say sir!

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL. I guess proof-readers are a dead breed. I used to work at a large printing plant and we had an entire department of proof-readers. I constantly now read magazines and online articles with frequent spelling and grammatical errors. A friend of mine just published a book and he was expected to proof-read his material. They didn't do it. I was shocked. So, the book was printed and has lots of spelling and grammatical errors.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
LOL. I guess proof-readers are a dead breed. I used to work at a large printing plant and we had an entire department of proof-readers. I constantly now read magazines and online articles with frequent spelling and grammatical errors. A friend of mine just published a book and he was expected to proof-read his material. They didn't do it. I was shocked. So, the book was printed and has lots of spelling and grammatical errors.
Yep, it's a dying art for sure.

I have to write a monthly report. After I'm done with it I have to give it to a coworker for a peer review. Then it goes to my supervisor for review. Then it goes to the second in command of my office and finally to my senior supervisor before it's released for publication on our internal website.

Obviously the further up the chain it goes the less corrections I have to make, but it's a couple weeks process and it's never perfect. I make plenty of mistakes lol.

I find myself reading my comments here on SVTP several times before hitting the post button and I still find errors when I read it again a few hours later lmao!

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I am constantly reading my posts usually before I hit the Post Reply button. Sometimes I re-read my post even after because, well, it's so easy to birth a typo. LOL.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I found another article on the car. LOL. The author in this one misunderstood what I meant when I said Kindig built the air filters. The author understood Kindig built the motor LOL. But, he got everything else right.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...your-heart-when-its-time-to-dance-202220.html

That’s bad ass you got that work of art on a channel! I have watched that guy a little bit. ALL those hours sanding on that car showed in the video and damn doesn’t it sound wicked! I love that car and very happy for you Glen

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That’s bad ass you got that work of art on a channel! I have watched that guy a little bit. ALL those hours sanding on that car showed in the video and damn doesn’t it sound wicked! I love that car and very happy for you Glen

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Thank you Geoff!!! Yeah, I had a blast shooting that video with Shawn and his crew. I thought they did a great job editing it and making it look seamless. We had to do a lot of retakes during the interview process due to plans and other distractions.

During the drive by shoot it was so much fun dropping the hammer. Because I was driving I didn't realize how much he was being thrown into the back of the seat and all those smiles he had on his face until I seen this video. Really cool.

I also loved their walk around shots. As you mentioned the paint really looked good in those shots.

Thank you for your very kind feedback and for going along for the ride with me during the build Geoff. Very cool to know I have had several SVTP members see this through with me.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks J! Let me know what you think brother! It's nothing spectacular, just a fun little video shoot talking about the build and doing some spirited driving LOL.
Even more impressive now Glen.
Very glad you were able to have that experience and Shawn seems like a genuinely good dude.
Nobody can ever take away that YOU built your dream car.
Sounds bitchin during the pulls too!
-J

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Even more impressive now Glen.
Very glad you were able to have that experience and Shawn seems like a genuinely good dude.
Nobody can ever take away that YOU built your dream car.
Sounds bitchin during the pulls too!
-J

Thank you J! Very kind of you to say sir. Yeah, Shawn is a really good dude. Very laid back and just trying to have fun while making a video. He is honest about what he thinks, but never in a rude or condencending way.

I had a lot of fun making that video. It's even cooler that a lot of folks got to see my build, the end result and how it works/sounds. Especially SVTP members, such as yourself, who have been along with me for the ride and seen this car with all the sheet metal cut off LOL.

Thanks again for your feedback brother! Always appreciate feedback from folks who know how this car was actually put together.

Ians_cobra

Established Member
Been following the Autopia channel for quite a long time, glad to see your awesome 65 fetaured. Did Autoevolution contact you to make a feature on their site or they just made a summary based on the video they found online?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Been following the Autopia channel for quite a long time, glad to see your awesome 65 fetaured. Did Autoevolution contact you to make a feature on their site or they just made a summary based on the video they found online?
Thank you Ian!!! No sir, none of the online article authors contacted me. Those articles were written purely off the Autotopia LA video.

I do wish they would have contacted me though. In the video I meant to indicate Kindig built my air cleaner system, but in the article they took it as Kindig built my engine. So, somethings were misrepresented in the article.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Got back to work on the 65. As always it's good and bad news with this car LOL.

The good news is I got the transmission out and found the leak. Bad news is it wasn't my Throw Out Bearing (TOB). So, I bought all new stuff for nothing LOL. Guess I better check and make sure what the problem is before I buy stuff.

Problem was I thought the transmission fluid was red. Turns out it's a tan color just like the hydraulic fluid. Damn....LOL...

Once I pulled the transmission out I was checking the TOB and it was bone dry. However, there was oil at the bottom of the bellhousing. I took the bellhousing off the transmission and there was oil on the backside of the bellhousing. Come to find out the leak was coming from my thrust bearing retainer.

I checked the bolts and they were loose. So, not checking bolts on the transmission prior to assembly got me again.

So, first thing I did was get the car up on 4 heavy duty jack stands.

20221226_105726.jpg

20221226_105504.jpg

20221226_105529.jpg

20221226_105605.jpg

20221226_105547.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After I got the car situated it was time to start the disassembly process. I forgot how much fun it is to install or remove major components. NOT.... LMAO!!!

I left the driveshaft in the transmission tail shaft so no fluid would come out. Worked great.

20221226_105641.jpg

20221226_110651.jpg

20221226_140552.jpg

20221226_140725.jpg

20221226_140734.jpg

20221226_140302.jpg

20221226_141103.jpg

20221226_141115.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
When I was loading the car to go to CA I thought the car would go into the trailer with no problems.

However, my car was too low and I ended up scrapping the V-band clamps. The one on the passenger side took the brunt of the hit. So, I needed to buy new ones.

20221226_123349.jpg

20221226_123355.jpg

I got the bearing retainer removed and cleaned up. I did put new RTV and reinstalled the bearing retainer to let it dry overnight. I'll go back out today and try to finish everything up. Taking a transmission out by myself was manageable. However, I don't know if I can install it by myself.
20221226_152850.jpg

20221226_152925.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I thought about it last night. Since the old hydraulic TOB is working great and not leaking I'm going to reinstall it. I'll keep all the new components that I bought incase my current set up fails down the road. I'd rather have my TOB actuate the clutch/pressure plate directly instead of having a hydraulic ram actuate a clutch fork.

Plus my system looks cleaner without a clutch fork sticking out and a ram hanging off the side of the transmission.

20221226_141129.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread