Big Brakes - Who's done 'em.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
well you would be wrong then. brakes dont stop the car. tires do. if your tires are not adhering to the pavement, they're locking up and your brakes are doing diddly squat. its more like 85/15.

+1 :burnout:

aaronl

Established Member
DonMTV said:
Here is a question, why can't we have big rotors and 4 piston calipers on the rear of the 03' and 04' Cobra? I know we can do the BIG $$$ Brembo, and Baer 6 piston set up, but why can't someone modify a bracket or something so that we can use the front brake calipers from the 00' R upgrade kit? I would think a little ingenuity would go a long way to make something like that happen.....Anyone out there with the skills to check this out?

Thanks all,
Don
You mean like this?
th_DSC00800.gif

th_DSC00802.gif

th_DSC00805.gif

These are only mockup pics right now, that's why the crappy hardware and the rear bolts are missing (I haven't found a place that will just sell me four) and I used the wrong side caliper (it was on the top of the stack and I just grabbed :shrug: ). I'll be the first to say it, these calipers are probably overkill but my IRS didn't have brakes on it when I bought it, and someone had given me these a few years ago. I just decided to make these do. Once I get all the hardware, make some spacers to center the caliper (and put the calipers on the right way :rolleyes: ) I should be finished with that part of my project.

Aaron

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Good question

Aaron

What size are the pistons in the calipers? When I began my research I spoke to Daryl @Performance brakes & he recommended 1 3/8" pistons for a 4-piston set-upon the rear.

If you go larger you will probably run into a bias problem (ie. bigger pistons=more clamping) & need a proportioning valve.

You may also need a different master cylinder. When I went to 1 3/4" 4-piston calipers (in front) I had to change mine. PLEASE...do yourself a big favor & get some professional brake engineering help before you start complicating an already..ambitious..project.

So far looks great...have you decided on how you're going to do the e-brake?

aaronl

Established Member
They are the 1 3/8" piston calipers, I had planned on using an adj. prop. valve anyways. As for the master cylinder I tossed the stock one a while ago, I haven't purchased a new one yet because I don't want to just throw parts at the car. I want it to work well, and with the wrong m/c the brakes could be just as bad as the stockers! For an e-brake I'm making a pinion mounted setup using a cable operated spot caliper. Thanks for the comments!

Aaron

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
IF someone was building a serious track car do they need a park brake or are you guys trying to keep it for functionality reasons?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
a proportioning valve wont help as the terminators have four channel four wheel abs. this is why im trying to fabricate a balance bar dual master cylinder setup.

serious track cars dont have parking brakes. using the parking brake at the road course is a major no-no. leave it in gear and chock the wheels.

if you absolutely have to have a parking brake, wilwood makes a kart caliper that can act at one. thats hw i did it on my shelby.

vipergts281

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
serious track cars dont have parking brakes. using the parking brake at the road course is a major no-no. leave it in gear and chock the wheels.
I never knew that. What's the reasoning behind that? Does it have something to do with the rotors warping or something?

:read:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
vipergts281 said:
I never knew that. What's the reasoning behind that? Does it have something to do with the rotors warping or something?

Reason why they dont have park brakes or reason why they dont use them out on the track? I assume you are asking why they dont have them on the car:

I think it is for 2 reasons.
1) if they upgrade the rear brakes they have to get rid of it anyway because the aftermarket calipers wont have the park brake setup
2) why would you be using a park brake on the road coarse? get rid of everything you dont use.

vipergts281

Established Member
Mike K said:
Reason why they dont have park brakes or reason why they dont use them out on the track? I assume you are asking why they dont have them on the car:

I think it is for 2 reasons.
1) if they upgrade the rear brakes they have to get rid of it anyway because the aftermarket calipers wont have the park brake setup
2) why would you be using a park brake on the road coarse? get rid of everything you dont use.
I am asking why they aren't used when the car is parked.

I am curious because he used the term "major no no". It sounds like a person would get yelled at/frowned upon if they used it.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
vipergts281 said:

Pad heat will concentrate on the rotor surface and warp (or worse in extreme case). I leave my car in gear. After stopping a couple minutes later I push the car forward (obviously back in neutral) to disperse some of that concentrated heat to another area on the rotor.

vipergts281

Established Member
DaleM said:
Pad heat will concentrate on the rotor surface and warp (or worse in extreme case). I leave my car in gear. After stopping a couple minutes later I push the car forward (obviously back in neutral) to disperse some of that concentrated heat to another area on the rotor.
Thanks. That's what I thought it was.

Users who are viewing this thread