Big Brakes - Who's done 'em.

2003snake

Established Member
I want to hear from you folk that have done some big brake work.

I have a '03 Cobra (with SSR GT3's).

I have (currently) the Baer upgraded 'slotted/drilled' rotors (same size as OEM) and have no where near the braking power that I am looking for.

I am seriously considering larger rotors (somewhere in the 14" range) and calipers that have either 4 or 6 pistons.

What do you have?
What did it consist of (the kit)?
Do you have a link?
Do I need to do the rear if I upgrade the front?
Knowing what you do, would you choose the same brakes that you have today?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

cobra29svt

Established Member
well i havent done it yet because i really dont want to take off my cobra brakes but i hear the brembo cobra r brakes are really good.i would have done it a long time ago if i had gt brakes

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I am looking at the StopTech 332 or 355mm kits that Lethal Perf. sell. I really want to get the 355mm kit but cant find a rim that will fit over it that i like. I already talked to CCW to see if the 505A rims will clear it and they wont so i may just go with the 332mm kit.

I am glad you posted this because i am looking for the same info. What are your plans for the car, any kind of serious racing in your fiture?

-Mike

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I never upgraded my Cobra brakes, but I did have a set of larger than stock Brembo F-40 front brakes on my '94 Camaro. 4-piston. Drilled and slotted. These brakes had awesome stopping power and no fade. Not cheap, though, at $3,200. a set. Bigger brakes with a minimum of 4 pistons are worth the investment IMO. You can buy less expensive sets with near same stopping power.
BremboF40.jpg

2003snake

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback so far.....please keep the comments coming. I figured that it wouldn't be cheap, but I really feel the need to be able to stop quickly if needed from high speeds and have already experienced brake fade with the (OEM size Baer Decelerators) brakes that I currently am using.

Thanks for all comments so far....anyone have the aftermarkets on a 03/04 Cobra?

Blaine

Established Member
Mike K said:
I am looking at the StopTech 332 or 355mm kits that Lethal Perf. sell. I really want to get the 355mm kit but cant find a rim that will fit over it that i like. I already talked to CCW to see if the 505A rims will clear it and they wont so i may just go with the 332mm kit.

I am glad you posted this because i am looking for the same info. What are your plans for the car, any kind of serious racing in your fiture?

-Mike

Upgrading just the Rotors WILL GIVE YOU NO decreased BRAKING!!!!! Just reduced brake fad over a long periods of braking due to increased surface area and cooling :read:

The cheapest way to decrease braking distance is to upgrade to stainless brake lines and get better pads. The expensive route is to increase the number of pistons in your brakes. 2, 4, 6......

Unless you are going to be racing on a track the Bigger Rotor will not be worth the extra $1,000 Dollars over the Cobra R brake kit!!!!! The Cobra R kit will pretty much give you same stopping distance with their kit.

Cobra R kit is the same thing you are looking at with the Lethal Kit but 1,300 Dollars cheaper. I would invest the 1,300 elsewhere and stick with the Cobra R. If you really want those fancy rotors that come with the lethal kit you can upgrade the Cobra R rotors to lightweight two piece rotors for only 500.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Great, thanks for the info that is exactly what i was looking for. Looks like the Cobra R kit and CCW 505As it is :beer:

*EDIT* any recommendations for the rear? I am assuming you are going to say upgrade to SS lines and just get better pads.

Blaine

Established Member
Mike K said:
Great, thanks for the info that is exactly what i was looking for. Looks like the Cobra R kit and CCW 505As it is :beer:

*EDIT* any recommendations for the rear? I am assuming you are going to say upgrade to SS lines and just get better pads.

KVR Performance makes two piece slotted rotors that will fit the rear. They also make them for the front which will work with the Cobra R kit. Match them with SS lines and good pads for the rear. If on a budget the powerslot rotors will do the job just as good, but with additional weight over the two-piece rotor.

The price is $ 495.00 usd for the pair of rear discs.

Standard features:
- Black mounting bell/hat
- NAS hardware
- Cross-drilled or slotted not both
- Thermal paint applied

Optional features:
- Color of mounting bell/hat + $ 75.00 - Silver/Gold/Red/Blue
- NAS Titanium hardware + $ 75.00 - saves 9 grams per disc
- Cryogenic treatment + $ 100.00 @ set
- Additional machining for lower mass + $ 125.00

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
The 2000 Cobra R kit seams to be the best deal out there. It is overkill for the street and seams to hold up pretty well to track duty as well. They also clear the stock 03-04 wheels. The larger kits seam to get really expensive and fast. I think the problem with our cars is that they have had the same brakes since 94, yet the weight has substaintialy increased.

Larger or fancier rotors will only help reduce brake fade. The only way to increase stopping power is to increase to coefficient of friction. This can be done by increasing brake clamping power through larger or more pistons, more agressive pads, or firmer brake lines that will transmit more force to the calipers instead of wasting it on flexing the line.

I'm actually piecing together a kit because I found some new Cobra R calipers for a good deal. I'm still deciding which rotors to go with. I am also going to frabricate somew ducting to help cool them.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Can anyone estimate the weight difference between the 2000R calipers and rotors and the stock 03 calipers and rotors?

2003snake

Established Member
Blaine said:
Upgrading just the Rotors WILL GIVE YOU NO decreased BRAKING!!!!! Just reduced brake fad over a long periods of braking due to increased surface area and cooling :read:

The cheapest way to decrease braking distance is to upgrade to stainless brake lines and get better pads. The expensive route is to increase the number of pistons in your brakes. 2, 4, 6......

Unless you are going to be racing on a track the Bigger Rotor will not be worth the extra $1,000 Dollars over the Cobra R brake kit!!!!! The Cobra R kit will pretty much give you same stopping distance with their kit.

Cobra R kit is the same thing you are looking at with the Lethal Kit but 1,300 Dollars cheaper. I would invest the 1,300 elsewhere and stick with the Cobra R. If you really want those fancy rotors that come with the lethal kit you can upgrade the Cobra R rotors to lightweight two piece rotors for only 500.

You have a link to these Cobra "R" brakes?

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Stop that pony...

I've had 13" rotors w/4-piston (1.75") Wilwood Calipers for about 2 years & am upgrading to 14" rotors & moving the 13" rotors to the rear w/4 piston (1-3/8") Calipers.

I am fabricating an e-brake system using C-5 Corvette internal drum e-brakes as the stock Cobra system has a manual e-brake on the caliper, so I can use 13" rotors on the rear & still have an e-brake.

To use the Wilwood Calipers w/1.75" pistons required a new (1-1/8") Master cylinder..BIG PIA! I have worked with Precision Brakes in Oregon.

Anyone who thinks these cars have good brakes, hasn't been in ANY Porsche..I have a 928 & I describe the difference between the Cobra & Porsche as...the Mustang has twice the HP..& HALF the brakes...it WAS substantial..NOW the Mustang WILL stop like a Porsche...Why do people think its fine to add 20-40+% in HP..& NOT have to improve the brakes :shrug:

Wilwood parts are VERY resonable...the front system is about $1300 & the rear calipers are $140ea + pads. Considering what most of us have put into these cars to make them faster...this ISN'T big$$$ for the peace of mind when you lay into the brakes & the car stops..N-O-W..especially noticable at..umm..(extra) legal speeds.

With ABS..you can't have TOO MUCH BRAKES!!!! & they just look :coolman:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Joe King, thanks for the input, do you have any pictures of your progress so far? What makes the new Master Cylinder a PITA to put in? Do you have to modify a bunch of stuff to get it to fit/work?

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
sndmn_2000 said:
i got mine and i like em, if you have any question pm me about it. I have the 00 cobra r.

Do you have any pictures of the brakes with the rims installed? IF you dont mind could you please email them to me at [email protected] (the military server i am on blocks alot of pictures and i would really like to see how they look installed.)

-Mike

Wizardrex

THE BIG RED SEXY
Established Member
I say Cobra R kit. it is the same rotor as stock all you need to do is replace the calipers and get new pads (hawk) keep the solid rotors. Drilled rotors will eventually crack. If you go 14 inch you need 18 inch wheels which is another cost and don't forget the price difference between 18 and 17 inch tires. The cobra R has more than enough stopping power. Many people on this site either use the setup (autocrossers) or will do so in the future.

2003snake

Established Member
Mike K said:
Do you have any pictures of the brakes with the rims installed? IF you dont mind could you please email them to me at [email protected] (the military server i am on blocks alot of pictures and i would really like to see how they look installed.)

-Mike

Please post them here as well!

2003snake

Established Member
Joe King said:
I've had 13" rotors w/4-piston (1.75") Wilwood Calipers for about 2 years & am upgrading to 14" rotors & moving the 13" rotors to the rear w/4 piston (1-3/8") Calipers.

I am fabricating an e-brake system using C-5 Corvette internal drum e-brakes as the stock Cobra system has a manual e-brake on the caliper, so I can use 13" rotors on the rear & still have an e-brake.

To use the Wilwood Calipers w/1.75" pistons required a new (1-1/8") Master cylinder..BIG PIA! I have worked with Precision Brakes in Oregon.

Anyone who thinks these cars have good brakes, hasn't been in ANY Porsche..I have a 928 & I describe the difference between the Cobra & Porsche as...the Mustang has twice the HP..& HALF the brakes...it WAS substantial..NOW the Mustang WILL stop like a Porsche...Why do people think its fine to add 20-40+% in HP..& NOT have to improve the brakes :shrug:

Wilwood parts are VERY resonable...the front system is about $1300 & the rear calipers are $140ea + pads. Considering what most of us have put into these cars to make them faster...this ISN'T big$$$ for the peace of mind when you lay into the brakes & the car stops..N-O-W..especially noticable at..umm..(extra) legal speeds.

With ABS..you can't have TOO MUCH BRAKES!!!! & they just look :coolman:

Can I go directly to the 14" rotors?
Are the calipers 4 or 6 piston?
Do I need to upgrade my rear brakes if I do the front?
The Master Cylinder - can you be more specific about it being a PITA?

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Pita

When I put in the M/C, I had to have the system bled at a Ford SVT dealer (tow the car).... Air got in the ABS. I also had to make new brake lines for the M/C because there isn't (wasn't) an 1-1/8" M/C that feeds like the stock one.

Yes you do need 18" wheels for 14" rotors..had 'em already.

The Wilwood Forged Superlite 4-piston caliper will work on 13" AND 14" rotors so I will re-use them. It doesn't matter whether you use 4 or 6 piston calipers...brake clamping force is based on the AREA of the pistons. The 1-3/4" 4-piston calipers actually have MORE piston area :shrug: than the Wilwood 6-piston calipers that they sell in the $1300 kit...that's why I needed the M/C change. If you buy the Wilwood kit for the Cobra you DON'T have to change M/C..but it won't clamp as hard..either.

No pictures yet as it is a Springtime project.

As far as doing the rear...I doubt it is necessary, as the front brakes I am told do 80% of the braking. I'm changing calipers because the stock calipers look like they came off a Pinto..or more likely the '78 Fairmont that the car is based on..LOW RENT

Users who are viewing this thread