Big Brakes - Who's done 'em.

Blaine

Established Member
Click on my Sig. of Brakes below. Or should I say on my sig on the earlier replay above for pics of Cobra R brakes installed.

2003snake

Established Member
Joe King said:
When I put in the M/C, I had to have the system bled at a Ford SVT dealer (tow the car).... Air got in the ABS. I also had to make new brake lines for the M/C because there isn't (wasn't) an 1-1/8" M/C that feeds like the stock one.

Yes you do need 18" wheels for 14" rotors..had 'em already.

The Wilwood Forged Superlite 4-piston caliper will work on 13" AND 14" rotors so I will re-use them. It doesn't matter whether you use 4 or 6 piston calipers...brake clamping force is based on the AREA of the pistons. The 1-3/4" 4-piston calipers actually have MORE piston area :shrug: than the Wilwood 6-piston calipers that they sell in the $1300 kit...that's why I needed the M/C change. If you buy the Wilwood kit for the Cobra you DON'T have to change M/C..but it won't clamp as hard..either.

No pictures yet as it is a Springtime project.

As far as doing the rear...I doubt it is necessary, as the front brakes I am told do 80% of the braking. I'm changing calipers because the stock calipers look like they came off a Pinto..or more likely the '78 Fairmont that the car is based on..LOW RENT

Have any links for the 14" 4 piston kit?

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
www.precisionbrakescompany.com can put together a package for you. The 14" is NOT the $1300 kit I was talking about. There are new 14" specific radial mount calipers which are $560 ea. If you used them w/ 14" 2-piece rotors you'll probably be closer to $2k.

I'll sell you my front calipers if you are willing to do the M/C swap..PM me if you want to do a Wilwood system.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Wizardrex said:
I say Cobra R kit. it is the same rotor as stock all you need to do is replace the calipers and get new pads (hawk) keep the solid rotors. Drilled rotors will eventually crack. If you go 14 inch you need 18 inch wheels which is another cost and don't forget the price difference between 18 and 17 inch tires. The cobra R has more than enough stopping power. Many people on this site either use the setup (autocrossers) or will do so in the future.

The Cobra R kit does NOT use the stock rotors, but 14" rotors.

And no, you do not always need a 18" rim for the kit. It fits behind stock 2003 Cobra 17" wheels just fine.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Blaine said:
Click on my Sig. of Brakes below. Or should I say on my sig on the earlier replay above for pics of Cobra R brakes installed.

Blaine, can you give an estimate on the weight of the stock 2 piston calipers/13" rotors vs. the Cobra R 4 piston 14" rotors?

Also, how do you like your JBA headers?

Juiced-03

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:

It will work with either, but almost everyone I know with this kit uses the stock rotors :shrug:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:

And no, you do not always need a 18" rim for the kit. It fits behind stock 2003 Cobra 17" wheels just fine.

The Cobra R calipers ABSOLUTELY use the standard 13 inch Brembo rotors that came on the car. The rotors that come with the kit are merely zinc washed, but are identical to stock, save for the slotting or drilling.

You can't stick your index finger behind the STOCK 03 Cobra wheel with the Brembo Cobra R calipers. The gap between there is less than half an inch. the gap with the fr500s is even less.

Heres how I know,
000_0093.jpg

000_0092.jpg

Ashley

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
The Cobra R calipers ABSOLUTELY use the standard 13 inch Brembo rotors that came on the car. The rotors that come with the kit are merely zinc washed, but are identical to stock, save for the slotting or drilling.

You can't stick your index finger behind the STOCK 03 Cobra wheel with the Brembo Cobra R calipers. The gap between there is less than half an inch. the gap with the fr500s is even less.

I rechecked and they are indeed 13".

But they DO fit with stock 03 wheels. What does it matter if you can fit a finger between the rim and the caliper or not?

My moms Lincoln LS has about a drinking straw between the caliper and rim, big deal :shrug:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
I rechecked and they are indeed 13".

But they DO fit with stock 03 wheels. What does it matter if you can fit a finger between the rim and the caliper or not?

My moms Lincoln LS has about a drinking straw between the caliper and rim, big deal :shrug:

Someone asked about the spacing. Alot of wheels will not work with the Cobra R Brembos.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Exactly, and when the dudes at the aquarium were messing with Kyle and making him think the whale was talking (Melziak or something) he was like hi Kyle, do you like rocket ships?

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
Exactly, and when the dudes at the aquarium were messing with Kyle and making him think the whale was talking (Melziak or something) he was like hi Kyle, do you like rocket ships?

Well played Sir.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I didn't get the rocket ship comment. You win.

It wasn't a contest, I just figured you'd get the reference :pepper:

/South Park tangent thread hijack :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread