Big Brakes - Who's done 'em.

sndmn_2000

Next is a Vette
Established Member
dscf00678vn.png

sedanman

Established Member
I have the 00R brake setup aswell, They barely clear the stock wheels but they do, I have saleen 18" wheels also and they clear those aswell.

Wizardrex

THE BIG RED SEXY
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
The Cobra R kit does NOT use the stock rotors, but 14" rotors.

And no, you do not always need a 18" rim for the kit. It fits behind stock 2003 Cobra 17" wheels just fine.

so your saying I'm wrong as well as Shelbyguy and Jimmysidecar?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/brembo.asp

and your saying MM is wrong check you info before you post.
you need a 50 mm clearance for the larger caliper which only fits a selected few 17 in rims. If you go to a 14 in rotor then you must go 18 in rims. The 03/04 cobra and R have the same caliper mounting braket just 2 bolts but I guess you'd know that if you ever worked on your brakes.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
For those with the 00 R brakes, how much better do your brakes feel? Were they worth it or do you wish you went with bigger brakes?

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Mike K said:
For those with the 00 R brakes, how much better do your brakes feel? Were they worth it or do you wish you went with bigger brakes?

It is so much better it is stupid. I just got home from a spirited driving session with a friend, and he couldn't shut up about how good the brakes felt.

I may go to 14inch rotors to fill out the wheel a little bit more (lots of AMG Benzes, BMW Ms, Lambos and Ferarris where I live) and have more stoplight cred. They definately aren't needed though.

You could probably get by w\ good pads and SS lines with the stock calipers. The Brembos are more consistent, and have better modulation. They were totally worth it.

Ashley

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Wizardrex said:
so your saying I'm wrong as well as Shelbyguy and Jimmysidecar?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/brembo.asp

and your saying MM is wrong check you info before you post.
you need a 50 mm clearance for the larger caliper which only fits a selected few 17 in rims. If you go to a 14 in rotor then you must go 18 in rims. The 03/04 cobra and R have the same caliper mounting braket just 2 bolts but I guess you'd know that if you ever worked on your brakes.

Maybe read the post where I corrected my mistake? :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
You could probably get by w\ good pads and SS lines with the stock calipers.

I dont want to just get by, i want to know my brakes are up to the task :)

Now the 00R kit is a 13" kit (same size we have on our car) but there have been serveral reverances to a 13" kit and a 14" kit. Can you get the 00R kit with an upgraded 14" disk and appropriate caliper bracket? If so does anybody know where i can get this, i would be more interested in the 14" kit. I plan on getting 18" rims anyway so the clearance shouldn't be a problem.

-Mike

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
I have the Wilwood SL6 front kit with hard lines and Kenny Brown cooling hardware. I kept the rear calipers but upgraded the rotors to match the front wilwood slotted two piece with alluminum hat, and also pads to match front, with hard lines from Kenny Brown. I can't remember what the pads are called but willwood offers 4 levels for the mustang kit and I use level 3. I also bled every drop of stock fluid out and replaced with wilwood 600. This setup has proven very effective on the track and very durable. It squeaks on the street with not enough heat to keep pads in operating range. I have gotten used to that however and view it as "racey", like a nice exhaust note.

Wizardrex

THE BIG RED SEXY
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
Maybe read the post where I corrected my mistake? :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

I did.

03 DSG Snake said:
I rechecked and they are indeed 13".

But they DO fit with stock 03 wheels. What does it matter if you can fit a finger between the rim and the caliper or not?

My moms Lincoln LS has about a drinking straw between the caliper and rim, big deal

Read mine, 14 inch rotors don't fit on 17 inch rims. You said they do fit, while you believed they were 14 inch rotors. Then in a backfired attempt to make people think you are not totally incompetent, you post the above. As far as the finger, we are simply trying to educate you as your postings seemingly cry out for. The 00r brake kit for all intended purposes is a bolt on. May I also bring it to your attention that you are 24 now. Why are you bringing your mother into this?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Wizardrex said:
I did.

Read mine, 14 inch rotors don't fit on 17 inch rims. You said they do fit, while you believed they were 14 inch rotors. Then in a backfired attempt to make people think you are not totally incompetent, you post the above. As far as the finger, we are simply trying to educate you as your postings seemingly cry out for. The 00r brake kit for all intended purposes is a bolt on. May I also bring it to your attention that you are 24 now. Why are you bringing your mother into this?

Probably because I am familiar with both my parents cars jackass? :loser:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Mike K said:
I dont want to just get by, i want to know my brakes are up to the task :)

Now the 00R kit is a 13" kit (same size we have on our car) but there have been serveral reverances to a 13" kit and a 14" kit. Can you get the 00R kit with an upgraded 14" disk and appropriate caliper bracket? If so does anybody know where i can get this, i would be more interested in the 14" kit. I plan on getting 18" rims anyway so the clearance shouldn't be a problem.

-Mike

There are no optional 14 in rotor Cobra R kits. They all come with 13 in rotors either plain, slotted, or drilled. The $2500 Brembo kit for the car had the 6 piston calipers and the 14in rotors. No, those rotors probably won't work with the Cobra R calipers, as they are too thick.

The good news is that you can get a 14 in 2 piece rotor that will fit by purchasing them seperately. The Baer Eradispeeds will NOT work. I believe ShelbyGuy has 14s on his car with the Cobra R caliper. I will search and post what brand they are and where he got them.

Ashley

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I will search and post what brand they are and where he got them.

Ashley
If you get this in time... that really wont be necessary. I am just trying to find a 14" kit that will fit in the 18" CCW 505A rim. The Stop-Tech 355mm kit will not, I sent the brake dimensions to CCW and they were pretty sure the kit would not fit. I will hop on Brembo's website to get similar information to send to them.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions though.
-Mike

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Mike K said:
If you get this in time... that really wont be necessary. I am just trying to find a 14" kit that will fit in the 18" CCW 505A rim. The Stop-Tech 355mm kit will not, I sent the brake dimensions to CCW and they were pretty sure the kit would not fit. I will hop on Brembo's website to get similar information to send to them.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions though.
-Mike

Your only option may be Cobra R calipers and 14 inch rotors. Anything else is even larger in physical size and wont fit behind a wheel with any kind of lip. If the Stoptech kit wont fit, the Brembo Monoblock calipers probably won't fit either.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Also, don't forget tires. That is the most important compinent of your brake system. I felt dramatic gains in stopping power when I switched from the crappy OEM F1 GS to the Kumho MX. I am really seeing how good the Cobra R kit is now. With the stock tires I felt only marginal gains because I was outbraking the tires.

Ashley

2003snake

Established Member
So, lets get more specifics on the 14" kits....

Anyone have a link that outlines all components and a price along with a way to order?

I have the 18" SSR GT3's.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
baer eradispeed two piece rotors do not fit the 00r brembos. the hat is too large in diameter.

i use a 13" rotor from a coleman racing blank and i use a brake hat from tce. its a fixed setup, not a floater. a floating rotor would probably drive me nuts on the street. they can be pretty noisy. i use nas (aerospace) hardware to bolt them together. no holes, no slots. i just get them balanced and stress relieved.

my total setup is:
braided brake hoses on all four corners
00r brake cooling ducts and the cheaper black hose. the expensive orange stuff isnt needed.
00r calipers. for the street i use the stock galpher pads (ford racing #m-2001-x). for parking lot autocrosses, single flying lap time attacks, and small tracks like blackhawk farms, i use the ferodo ds2500 pad. for bigger tracks i use hawk blues.
on the rear i use hps pads unless i have the hawk blues up front in which case i run hp+. i might step up to ht10 fronts and hawk black rears this year for road america and v.i.r.
i use the regular ford brake fluid in the red and white plastic bottle. i bleed after every event, and sometimes even before.
this is definately a trouble free combination for the track.

i change my rotors out every 2nd set of pads. i saw a corvette grenade a rotor at road america coming into turn 5. it was bad. i've yet to crack a rotor (i mean beyond the usual heat checking)

Users who are viewing this thread