Best Tune???

DIB5.0

Established Member
so it is $75 everytime you need a tune revision?

No. Bama has tunes for life, Brenspeed does it and Justin has revised my tune many x's already. If you would charge 50-75 like the rest you would sell more tunes, more tunes on more cars, more word of mouth, more volume. Just go to their sites and look. Im not saying your tune is not worth 185 but not all can afford this for a tune and many for the '11 had to buy a 379 sct on top of it.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
we give a free custom tune with the sale of any handheld tuners and free lifetime revisions..we have always charged $125-185 for custom tunes for as long as I can remember and only recently raised it to $185...

support and revising to get a current set up dialed in and free revisions no matter what you add to your vehicle and need a revision is different..most tuners give free revisions for current set ups but not for additional mods

DIB5.0

Established Member
Its your business and you guys charge what you want. Just giving you some perspective for the average Mustang owner. Im sure price has a lot to do with why Bama, Brenspeed sell thousands of tunes. Do you think if they charged 185 like you guys and 200 like Evo they would sell as many? Im sure a lot has to with with AM and Brenspeed being bigger business's and sell more volume.

drewzx3

Established Member
we give a free custom tune with the sale of any handheld tuners and free lifetime revisions..we have always charged $125-185 for custom tunes for as long as I can remember and only recently raised it to $185...

support and revising to get a current set up dialed in and free revisions no matter what you add to your vehicle and need a revision is different..most tuners give free revisions for current set ups but not for additional mods

In confused is the 185 if you already have a tuner?

kevinp

Established Member
Its your business and you guys charge what you want. Just giving you some perspective for the average Mustang owner. Im sure price has a lot to do with why Bama, Brenspeed sell thousands of tunes. Do you think if they charged 185 like you guys and 200 like Evo they would sell as many? Im sure a lot has to with with AM and Brenspeed being bigger business's and sell more volume.

The way I read it is you get lifetime updates for changed hardware from BBR and AM (Bama) tunes only iof you buy the parts from them. So I'm sure they subsidize their tuner a little that way, someone who doesnt sell parts and only tunes needs to charge a little more but they arent making you buy the new parts from them either.

I would expect them to fix any tune issues with present hardware on the initial tune as many times it takes to get it right.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
In confused is the 185 if you already have a tuner?

yes...if you have a tuner and need a custom tune..for whatever reason

The way I read it is you get lifetime updates for changed hardware from BBR and AM (Bama) tunes only iof you buy the parts from them. So I'm sure they subsidize their tuner a little that way, someone who doesnt sell parts and only tunes needs to charge a little more but they arent making you buy the new parts from them either.

I would expect them to fix any tune issues with present hardware on the initial tune as many times it takes to get it right.

we are a full service shop..working with the products on a daily basis but we dont require that you purchase any parts from us to get life time revisions even though we do sell parts(that is a good idea tho LOL)..we only ask that you stay with Rick as your tuner ..once another tuner revises his tune it become theirs so that voids our free tuning policy...we give our customers the option of purchasing parts wherever they like and we will install them and tune the vehicle.. ..

looks like our business is being compared to others that are not structured the same way as we are

drewzx3

Established Member
yes...if you have a tuner and need a custom tune..for whatever reason

we are a full service shop..working with the products on a daily basis but we dont require that you purchase any parts from us to get life time revisions even though we do sell parts(that is a good idea tho LOL)..we only ask that you stay with Rick as your tuner ..once another tuner revises his tune it become theirs so that voids our free tuning policy...we give our customers the option of purchasing parts wherever they like and we will install them and tune the vehicle.. ..

looks like our business is being compared to others that are not structured the same way as we are

The tuner just come with 1 tune on it?

solidhadriel

Established Member

I registered solely to state that this assumption is inaccurate.

The way BAMA operates is that if you buy their tuner/tune (total cost = $379, which includes the SCT tuner, AND 3 'free' distinct tunes), you get FREE tunes/retunes/patches/updates for LIFE. Regardless of where, why, or how you purchased your parts.

For example: Say you get the 87 street, 87 performance and 91 race tune when you first get your car. Then down the road you go on ebay or to JLT's site to purchase their CAI, then you throw on a Magnaflow exhaust, and decide that you want to take advantage of the new 'hardware', you then go to BAMA and tell them the changes you've made to your car, they write you up some fresh tunes and you load this. Say that you decided you want to run 93 octane instead of 87, they'll email you ADDITIONAL tunes (for FREE) that takes advantage of that.

I am in no way affiliated, nor a representative of AM/BAMA, just a satisfied customer.

Cheers

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
^^ but you do have to buy the hand held tuner from them to get the free revisions? what about if you already have a tuner purchased somewhere else and you just want tunes?

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
The tuner just come with 1 tune on it?

we consult with the customer to see what his needs are..if he only needs one then that is what he gets.. if he needs more.. that is what he gets..custom means made specifically for the needs of a customer

our wording will be changed to reflect that we offer free custom tuning with the puchase of a tuner..

solidhadriel

Established Member
^^ but you do have to buy the hand held tuner from them to get the free revisions? what about if you already have a tuner purchased somewhere else and you just want tunes?

That would be a negative. They have an option on their website to buy "Just the tunes" -- if you already own an SCT tuner. That "Just the tunes" options includes 3 tunes, and then the "free tunes for life" package as well.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Since I am a vendor on this forum, and my name has been mentioned, I will explain how our tunes work. We don't sell based on lowest price, but rather offer what I feel is fair to me for the time involved and fair to the customer.

We sell a custom tuned SCT X3 (PN 3000) for $399 with 3 custom tunes already loaded:
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: Custom Tuned SCT X3 Flash Tuner for Ford Vehicle from VMP

If a customer already has a handheld tuner, it is $59 per tune file to purchase a tune from us:
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: VMP Custom E-Mail Tune for X2,X3,Livewire,TSX Tuners (all Ford Vehicles)

I include 6 months of support with tune file or tuner purchase. I considered offering a higher priced lifetime support option, but did not see a big value in it for our customers. Most mustang owners do a pretty standard list of bolt ons, about half of which don't require a retune (like mufflers or UDs), or can have the tune set up for beforehand (like o/r pipe) or can be adjusted for on the tuner (like gears/tires). The next big mod is a supercharger which requires a whole new tune and a new tune fee. There are some cam installs mixed in there but that is a smaller segment of the population (though growing). What I'm getting at is I feel my current pricing and support schedule fits the bill for my customers. Certainly amazon has a different take on it and they are doing what works for them.

On the other hand, I don't offer lifetime tunes AND sell at rock bottom prices, simply because its not something that can be honored and still provide a high level of quality. Or it's only honored in certain circumstances. We've seen this done before in the industry and it has failed in the long run. Just like I won't over promise HP gains to make a sale, I won't promise lifetime support to make a sale.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Since I am a vendor on this forum, and my name has been mentioned, I will explain how our tunes work. We don't sell based on lowest price, but rather offer what I feel is fair to me for the time involved and fair to the customer.

We sell a custom tuned SCT X3 (PN 3000) for $399 with 3 custom tunes already loaded:
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: Custom Tuned SCT X3 Flash Tuner for Ford Vehicle from VMP

If a customer already has a handheld tuner, it is $59 per tune file to purchase a tune from us:
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: VMP Custom E-Mail Tune for X2,X3,Livewire,TSX Tuners (all Ford Vehicles)

I include 6 months of support with tune file or tuner purchase. I considered offering a higher priced lifetime support option, but did not see a big value in it for our customers. Most mustang owners do a pretty standard list of bolt ons, about half of which don't require a retune (like mufflers or UDs), or can have the tune set up for beforehand (like o/r pipe) or can be adjusted for on the tuner (like gears/tires). The next big mod is a supercharger which requires a whole new tune and a new tune fee. There are some cam installs mixed in there but that is a smaller segment of the population (though growing). What I'm getting at is I feel my current pricing and support schedule fits the bill for my customers. Certainly amazon has a different take on it and they are doing what works for them.

On the other hand, I don't offer lifetime tunes AND sell at rock bottom prices, simply because its not something that can be honored and still provide a high level of quality. Or it's only honored in certain circumstances. We've seen this done before in the industry and it has failed in the long run. Just like I won't over promise HP gains to make a sale, I won't promise lifetime support to make a sale.

Thank you for the information provided. I am personally leaning towards getting the xcal from you since I've read nothing but great things about you and your tunes. I have other tuners in mind but my main concern is customer service and of course getting what I want.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
I'm still deciding on which auto tune to get. It's tough to decide based on random videos I've seen. I want one that maximizes the transmission shift strategy too.

I'm probably going CAI, axle back, and tune as my performance mods.
:??:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
^^^ ..these cars are just plain awesome..and just doing those mods takes it to another level that you will enjoy

I know Rick gave alot of attention to getting the shifts the way he wanted them on our car....he started from scratch and built the tune to his satisfaction

ViciousJay

Established Member
man all this tuning talk and reading up on VCT and E85 has really sparked my interest!!! and it looks like ill be getting a tuner sooner then i thought. Any of you tuners playing with the things i just mentioned?

Last edited:

solidhadriel

Established Member
I'm still deciding on which auto tune to get. It's tough to decide based on random videos I've seen. I want one that maximizes the transmission shift strategy too.

I'm probably going CAI, axle back, and tune as my performance mods.
:??:

I would hold off on the CAI, unless you are wanting it for aesthetic reasons. BAMA actually showed dyno results with a CAI and the cars lost torque for horsepower (and marginal horsepower at that) -- a dirty trade-off I would NOT want.

As for tunes, the reason I purchased my BAMA tune (I have an auto) is because of the gear shift points and throttle response. Everyone who owns the BAMA tune (on other forums) has claimed that their "seat of the pants" experience has been an amazing transformation in their car's response.

My tune is in the mail and should be here tomorrow. I went 87 street, 91 performance, 91 race. I plan on loading the race as soon as I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread