Best Tune???

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
I would hold off on the CAI, unless you are wanting it for aesthetic reasons. BAMA actually showed dyno results with a CAI and the cars lost torque for horsepower (and marginal horsepower at that) -- a dirty trade-off I would NOT want.

As for tunes, the reason I purchased my BAMA tune (I have an auto) is because of the gear shift points and throttle response. Everyone who owns the BAMA tune (on other forums) has claimed that their "seat of the pants" experience has been an amazing transformation in their car's response.

My tune is in the mail and should be here tomorrow. I went 87 street, 91 performance, 91 race. I plan on loading the race as soon as I get it.

which one? we use JLT exclusively and have not seen what you stated

Last edited:

solidhadriel

Established Member
Hi Linn,

I sometimes forget which crowd I'm speaking to.

The BAMA results were from a 2011 V6 Auto /w 2.73 Gears and the C&L intake. They do not have numbers (posted) yet of other intakes, such as the JLT (which is what I'm REALLY waiting for.)

DIB5.0

Established Member
You want tuners who give you no BS and tell you the truth? No smoke and mirrors? So far the no BS guy i have talked to is Justin from VMP. Plus read a few things from Eric Brooks who also is straight forward about gains. This is what Eric had to say and Justin has said the same thing.
"The biggest gains are not HP gains. Every company that markets that is playing dyno number gains. The cars drop ET like crazy with a tune, but its more to do with the torque management, trans shifting, and raised limiter than anything.
A legit gain on a stock car is 10 RWHP. Anyone claiming more than that is manipulating the numbers or doing testing that makes the results appear that way. The 30 HP you see others claim is from running a stock car HOT, with 87 octane, and then doing a tune with 93."
Justin will tell you the same.

solidhadriel

Established Member
You want tuners who give you no BS and tell you the truth? No smoke and mirrors? So far the no BS guy i have talked to is Justin from VMP. Plus read a few things from Eric Brooks who also is straight forward about gains. This is what Eric had to say and Justin has said the same thing.
"The biggest gains are not HP gains. Every company that markets that is playing dyno number gains. The cars drop ET like crazy with a tune, but its more to do with the torque management, trans shifting, and raised limiter than anything.
A legit gain on a stock car is 10 RWHP. Anyone claiming more than that is manipulating the numbers or doing testing that makes the results appear that way. The 30 HP you see others claim is from running a stock car HOT, with 87 octane, and then doing a tune with 93."

This DOES apply to ALL tuners EXCLUDING BAMA. Which is another reason why I purchased from them. They've done numerous dyno testings on the same car, same conditions, with the same hardware, from stock (no-tune) to stock (tuned) WITH the SAME tank of gas. Whether it be 87 - 87 or 93-93. Currently they have their dyno charts of 93 octane, and they've shown impressive results for both the 5.0 and 3.7L.

So other tuners can talk down on other tuners, but only those with proven results (such as BAMA) really show you their value. :beer:

ViciousJay

Established Member

even playing with the VCT?

kevinp

Established Member
I'm not going to keep mine N/A long enough to spend the time dynoing different tunes, if I catch a decent weather day I may hit the track and compare the tunes/cai I have. I assume most guys are the same, as long as the car feels faster with a tune they are happy. Pretty muct the 'best' tune is one you will be happy with. For 75.00 or so its cheap enough to try several if you are picky..

So far from playing around the last few days:

The SCT preloaded 93 tune feels like it added some power, but with the stock shift points and still a lot of torque management between shifts I bet it picks up very little at the dragstrip over stock. The Bama tune between the raised shift points and pretty stout shifts will make a pretty big ET difference I bet. With a stock converter shift extension really wakes these up.

I might try a couple other tunes for the heck of it, cheap enough thats for sure.

AMChrisRose

Just to clear a few things up, if you purchase a programmer from us, you're enrolled in the free custom tunes for life program. This means that NO MATTER WHERE you purchase your modifications, you'll get your tunes tweaked for free. Simply purchase the programmer for $379.99 and that's it.

If you already own a programmer, you can buy into the free tunes for life program for $150.

Single tunes, without the free tunes for life program are $50.

---------

We have a full team of calibrators who you can speak to at any time without having to go through a middle man. You'll be able to talk to the team of individuals responsible for writing your tune files. They're constantly R&Ding new products, as well as Q&A testing our current calibrations with exclusive access to our more than 165,000 square feet of nothing but Mustang-specific products. They have a Dynojet 224xLC and top-level SCT access right here in the building also at their disposal. We have numerous lab quality widebands including AFM1000, Dynojet WB Commander, Innovate and more. They have Ford IDS units as well as other OE quality testing equipment that allows them to dial in precision custom tunes whether or not all datalogging parameters are working with SCT, Diablo, etc. We also offer Diablo tuning, as a side note.

Not only are we dyno testing our products and calibrations (because every company SHOULD be doing that), you can also find us around the streets of Malvern, PA testing our vehicles for accuracy in real conditions, including datalogging. On top of that, our stuff is track proven as well.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdvDHHaxTu4"]YouTube - Stock vs. Bama Tuned Track Results - 2011 Mustang 3.7L V6[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHqyHOsvyMY"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V Runs 10.93 @ 125 MPH American Muscle[/nomedia]

All of our Street, Performance and Race calibrations are tested for months on multiple vehicles. The company owns 9 Mustangs from different generations including a 2011 V6, 2011 GT, 2011 GT500, 2007 GT, 2006 V6, and numerous 79-04s. On top of that, we have a staff of over 140 with most of them being Mustang enthusiasts and owners. We are constantly testing our products and tunes on employee vehicles as well.

If you have absolutely any questions whatsoever, please feel free to reply. If you want to get ahold of Bama directly, feel free to give them a shout. They're here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764!

kevinp

Established Member
Just to clear a few things up, if you purchase a programmer from us, you're enrolled in the free custom tunes for life program. This means that NO MATTER WHERE you purchase your modifications, you'll get your tunes tweaked for free. Simply purchase the programmer for $379.99 and that's it.

I was just going by what it says on your website as far as the buying parts thing. I bought a CAI/Tuner from you guys and on the page if you click on the 'Thats right -Free tunes for life' a box comes up and at the bottom it says this:

"Offer only valid for customers who originally purchased an SCT Livewire, X3, X2, four bank-chip or Diablosport Trinity and new parts that require the need of a new tune from AmericanMuscle.com. SCT Mustang 4-Bank Eliminator Chip users must ship the chip back to us for reprogramming after contacting us first for directions."

May want to change that if thats not the case, I can only go by what I read, thanks for clearing it up though.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would hold off on the CAI, unless you are wanting it for aesthetic reasons. BAMA actually showed dyno results with a CAI and the cars lost torque for horsepower (and marginal horsepower at that) -- a dirty trade-off I would NOT want.

As for tunes, the reason I purchased my BAMA tune (I have an auto) is because of the gear shift points and throttle response. Everyone who owns the BAMA tune (on other forums) has claimed that their "seat of the pants" experience has been an amazing transformation in their car's response.

My tune is in the mail and should be here tomorrow. I went 87 street, 91 performance, 91 race. I plan on loading the race as soon as I get it.

i dont agree with the CAI not making power in both TQ/HP. my buddy with a 2011 GT 5.0 got a custom tune from AED in which he added C&L CAI, o/r X pipe an bassani mufflers. he made 437HP 424TQ and the over all power band was 8-10HP from 2k to 7k. thats a huge increase from 100% stock which is in the 370sHP/TQ

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/739478-2011-gt-5-0-aed-tuned-437hp-424tq.html

the 10HP gain you see is across the whole band, but the PEAK HP/TQ from stock to CAI and O/R pipes an a tuner that knows how to tune the VCT are making easy 30-40HP an 20-30 TQ to the wheels. there is so much power in these cars an for anyone really looking to get a great turn call all the Tuners an talk with them an find out if they know how to tune the VCT, because if not its a waste to go with there tune because most power gain is from the VCT and the way to set it up if different is different from a Stock car to a bolt on car CAI an o/r pipe.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/739478-2011-gt-5-0-aed-tuned-437hp-424tq.html

Last edited:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
Do any of the tuners go straight through the ecu? Where one does not go through the obdII port?

we can direct flash with Delta Force but we have to have the vehilce here to do it

all other handhelds..SCT,DS etc plug into the OBD11 port to flash the PCM and is needed to get he tune into the PCM

we sell our tuners for $399 free shipping,free revisions for as long as you own the vehicle,unlimited support no matter what you add to the mod list

we have one tuner,Rick, he has been tuning for many many years..he is always available to his customers for any one on one consultation..we have built our business by making customer service our top priorty over the last 12 years.. rick has been in on the ground floor with all the tuning companies..

all his programs have been developed on our MD dynos..both dynoes are edy current braked to simlulate proper vehilce weight...they are constructed with years of tuning knowledge and expereince and hours apon hours of data logs..they are street and track tested

we have owned and raced every platform of performance Mustangs that ford has made over all our years..and developed tuning for them all..carborated and EFI

we are also a full service shop that works hands on with products on a daily basis

Contact us in Anderson, South Carolina, for performance auto parts, performance chips, and Dyno Tuning - Home to check out Ricks qualifications and background

Last edited:

AMChrisRose

I was just going by what it says on your website as far as the buying parts thing. I bought a CAI/Tuner from you guys and on the page if you click on the 'Thats right -Free tunes for life' a box comes up and at the bottom it says this:

"Offer only valid for customers who originally purchased an SCT Livewire, X3, X2, four bank-chip or Diablosport Trinity and new parts that require the need of a new tune from AmericanMuscle.com. SCT Mustang 4-Bank Eliminator Chip users must ship the chip back to us for reprogramming after contacting us first for directions."

May want to change that if thats not the case, I can only go by what I read, thanks for clearing it up though.

Having that changed on the site now. Thanks for pointing it out!!

AMChrisRose

i dont agree with the CAI not making power in both TQ/HP. my buddy with a 2011 GT 5.0 got a custom tune from AED in which he added C&L CAI, o/r X pipe an bassani mufflers. he made 437HP 424TQ and the over all power band was 8-10HP from 2k to 7k. thats a huge increase from 100% stock which is in the 370sHP/TQ

the 10HP gain you see is across the whole band, but the PEAK HP/TQ from stock to CAI and O/R pipes an a tuner that knows how to tune the VCT are making easy 30-40HP an 20-30 TQ to the wheels. there is so much power in these cars an for anyone really looking to get a great turn call all the Tuners an talk with them an find out if they know how to tune the VCT, because if not its a waste to go with there tune because most power gain is from the VCT and the way to set it up if different is different from a Stock car to a bolt on car CAI an o/r pipe.

The car in question is a V6, not a GT. The GT's make great power with cold air intake systems. We've been proving this for months, back when only the C&L prototype was available:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D57oIgfwLzs"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L - Custom Tuned with C&L Prototype CAI[/nomedia]

The V6's, thus far the C&L intake hasn't performed during only our preliminary testing. If you want to see that, check out this 40 page long thread about 2011 V6 Bama custom tunes... I'll link you to the direct post, though: Ford Mustang Forums - View Single Post - The AM/BAMA/SCT Tune Thread

We would love to talk more about the numbers, if you'd like. We can provide datalogs from temperatures and timing to air/fuel ratio. We're still working on back-to-back results from stock to 3 different aftermarket intakes available for the 2011 V6. I'm not saying the V6 doesn't make power with a CAI, I'm saying it didn't with this CAI. However, this CAI is very large - so we're skeptical on other CAI's making honest power, too.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
we can direct flash with Delta Force but we have to have the vehilce here to do it

all other handhelds..SCT,DS etc plug into the OBD11 port to flash the PCM and is needed to get he tune into the PCM

we sell our tuners for $399 free shipping,free revisions for as long as you own the vehicle,unlimited support no matter what you add to the mod list

If I send the ECU back to you can you tune it? Is this a better tune(more maps tuned/harder for the dealership to spot the tune) than a tune through a handheld? For 399 does that include the tune as well or is the tune an addition charge?

chrisheltra

Established Member
If I send the ECU back to you can you tune it? Is this a better tune(more maps tuned/harder for the dealership to spot the tune) than a tune through a handheld? For 399 does that include the tune as well or is the tune an addition charge?

Just buy a hand held and do it yourself. BTW the dealer will always be able to tell when you have programmed your ECU because it throws a soft code thats stored on the ECU. It just depends whether they care or not if you break something.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The car in question is a V6, not a GT. The GT's make great power with cold air intake systems. We've been proving this for months, back when only the C&L prototype was available:

YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L - Custom Tuned with C&L Prototype CAI

The V6's, thus far the C&L intake hasn't performed during only our preliminary testing. If you want to see that, check out this 40 page long thread about 2011 V6 Bama custom tunes... I'll link you to the direct post, though: Ford Mustang Forums - View Single Post - The AM/BAMA/SCT Tune Thread

We would love to talk more about the numbers, if you'd like. We can provide datalogs from temperatures and timing to air/fuel ratio. We're still working on back-to-back results from stock to 3 different aftermarket intakes available for the 2011 V6. I'm not saying the V6 doesn't make power with a CAI, I'm saying it didn't with this CAI. However, this CAI is very large - so we're skeptical on other CAI's making honest power, too.

thanks for clearing that up. i must of missread thinking it was a GT. :beer:

AMChrisRose

thanks for clearing that up. i must of missread thinking it was a GT. :beer:

No problem! We're excited about testing out the other 2 other CAI's and the C&L in a row. We're hoping for good gains with a CAI. The problem is that I don't think the stock intake is restrictive enough.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Just buy a hand held and do it yourself. BTW the dealer will always be able to tell when you have programmed your ECU because it throws a soft code thats stored on the ECU. It just depends whether they care or not if you break something.

I am just curious as to why tuners go through handhelds with the mustangs and ecus with mercedes, porsche, ferrari and other high end sports cars. One would think a tune is a tune, so why is there such a variance?

Users who are viewing this thread