Best Tune???

chrisheltra

Established Member
I am just curious as to why tuners go through handhelds with the mustangs and ecus with mercedes, porsche, ferrari and other high end sports cars. One would think a tune is a tune, so why is there such a variance?

All foreign cars they may not have OBDII ports?

kevinp

Established Member
I am just curious as to why tuners go through handhelds with the mustangs and ecus with mercedes, porsche, ferrari and other high end sports cars. One would think a tune is a tune, so why is there such a variance?

Some ECU's cannot be programmed through OBD, they need to be opened up and hardware needs to be changed to allow flashing/changes. Some cars its just not practical to design a customer interface for a limited amount of users. Some cars can be flashed through OBD but may cause problems with other controllers on the CAN bus and can do some damage to other components when flashed through OBD so why take the chance.

Take your pick :)

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member

that is a better question directed to the tuning companies themselves..

we can direct flash with Delta Force but not with SCT or DS..they have not given us that capability..

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
^^^ I meant the companies who make the software and products the dealers/tuners use..

Thanks for answering all my questions. The reason I have questions is because I dont understand the differences between the two different ways to tune a vehicle. Which way is better is the question I am trying to answer.

Can dealers read or notice that you have tuned your car if you tune it through a handheld such as the sct?

From 6speedonline.com
Question:
That is a perfect 997TT. Just curious, how come EVOMS has to pull the ECU to work on it instead of using the OBDII port?

Answer:
Thank you. It is a great car! Regarding the ECU, we choose to communicate the ECU out of the car for a few reasons. First, this is the most secure and safest way to communicate with this TriCore CPU. Another important reason is when the ECU is flashed outside of the car, the on board flash counter is not updated which makes the software less detectable. Additionally, with our process, every modified ECU performance file that we make is based off of exact file that is read out of the ECU. We do not use a generic file that is uploaded into all vehicles. These important factors help us to ensure a safe and reliable data transfer as well as utilizing OEM like flashing protocol which virtually leaves no adverse traces of our flash.

AMChrisRose

Some ECU's cannot be programmed through OBD, they need to be opened up and hardware needs to be changed to allow flashing/changes. Some cars its just not practical to design a customer interface for a limited amount of users. Some cars can be flashed through OBD but may cause problems with other controllers on the CAN bus and can do some damage to other components when flashed through OBD so why take the chance.

Take your pick :)

^ This!

The way to flash a Ford spanish oak or new copperhead PCM is similar (or any 96+ Ford PCM, for that matter).

It replaces the binary. Therefore, it needs a place to hold the stock binary file.

Most imports just piggy back or flash the changes only, and can remove the changes, or their "layer" so to speak. Same with GM - you can choose whether to flash the entire VCM or simply the changes.

There's no benefit to direct-flash. The SCT box not only holds the stock file for you, it is a datalogging tool and can read/clear check engine lights. The datalogging capability makes it worth the dough. Direct flash's such as Sniper software, your stock file is stuck with the Sniper dealer.

At this time, the SCT and Diablo software have the most complete database, as well. They're the ones who have everything in their template. All of the competing companies are missing crucial parameters, especially on 05+ vehicles.

cobra1718

Established Member
Alot of technical info on this thread that I dont understand. I will throw in a opinion here anyway. I bought a VMP tune from Justin a few weeks ago. I have to say he has excellent customer service. I bought a tune at a reasonable price, then wanted to change the tune, he sent another tune immediately without charge and along the way answered all my stupid questions. In my opinion that is A+. Oh the car runs like a bat outa hell. thanks Justin @VMP

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
Alot of technical info on this thread that I dont understand. I will throw in a opinion here anyway. I bought a VMP tune from Justin a few weeks ago. I have to say he has excellent customer service. I bought a tune at a reasonable price, then wanted to change the tune, he sent another tune immediately without charge and along the way answered all my stupid questions. In my opinion that is A+. Oh the car runs like a bat outa hell. thanks Justin @VMP

Great choice. I have a few tunes and his is the best. Very smooth and the power is there when you need it. Great guy also and will answer all questions no matter how stupid they are.

PS how old is your Bulldog?

Last edited:

cobra1718

Established Member
Great choice. I have a few tunes and his is the best. Very smooth and the power is there when you need it. Great guy also and will answer all questions no matter how stupid they are.

PS how old is your Bulldog?
she just turned 1 year old yesterday. Now that dog is my "money pit"

liberty2.jpg

DIB5.0

Established Member
Yes they can be expensive. Any health problems?
Here is my girl at 13 months. She is daughter of a CH. Hope to have a litter later this yr.

P1000009.jpg

DIB5.0

Established Member
Yea lets get back to the subject.
VMP is great in every way. No BS with race, street, and all these tunes. Just the best tune he has. Great customer service also. Justin is the bomb!

texaswrx

Established Member
Yea lets get back to the subject.
VMP is great in every way. No BS with race, street, and all these tunes. Just the best tune he has. Great customer service also. Justin is the bomb!

Does he have one for Autos as well? I have the SCT hand held and Bama tunes on the way. I will give them a go for a bit. The feedback from many searches has been positive.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Does he have one for Autos as well? I have the SCT hand held and Bama tunes on the way. I will give them a go for a bit. The feedback from many searches has been positive.

Yes i have an auto and i like his tranny set up the best. Have tried Bama and Brenspeed just not for my liking. VMP is as smooth as butter.

drewzx3

Established Member

You an auto or manual?

AMChrisRose

Different strokes for different folks. We have thousands of satisfied Bama customers. So does VMP, Brenspeed, Lethal, Amazon, Evo, etc. Those are about the only companies I'd let tune my car, personally. Any of those names and you'll be in good shape!

1sweetazzGT500

Established Member
I'm sure I'm about to be Another Satisfied customer here from AM/BAMA as well, as I have the Airaid CAI/93 Tune kit waiting to install as soon as I get my car back tomorrow from the 3.73 Gear install. Point is, after all the research/reading I've done on This & different forums it was a No-brainer for Me to go with am/bama.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
Different strokes for different folks. We have thousands of satisfied Bama customers. So does VMP, Brenspeed, Lethal, Amazon, Evo, etc. Those are about the only companies I'd let tune my car, personally. Any of those names and you'll be in good shape!

exactly

I'm sure I'm about to be Another Satisfied customer here from AM/BAMA as well, as I have the Airaid CAI/93 Tune kit waiting to install as soon as I get my car back tomorrow from the 3.73 Gear install. Point is, after all the research/reading I've done on This & different forums it was a No-brainer for Me to go with am/bama.

it was a no brainer for you and the point is that it was a no brainer for all the guys who choose the tuners they did too..

choosing a tuner from opinions on a message board is not the best way to chose....most of our customers dont even post on websites

everyone has a different criteria for what they want in a tuner..that is why I always suggest that you contact and speak directly to any tuner who you are considering..
then decide based on YOUR experience with them

there is just really no way for one person to determine who has the "best" tune..you would have to have a tune from every tuner out there and compare them all to each other

just like Chris said.. there is no shortage of excellent tuners who work hard to have available their best work..always constructed with hours of dyno,street and track results.... you just have to decide which tuner will be the best fit for you..

Users who are viewing this thread