Best Shifter

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
Another vote for mgw. Got mine installed yesterday and wow what a difference. My brother has the Barton with bracket and it is way stiffer and louder than the mgw. The mgw keeps noise down and has short positive shifts without being too short. Well worth the money.

NJSP117

Established Member
Just placed my order for an MGW....the post by 96lasersnake sealed it for me....looking forward to this mod....

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
Just placed my order for an MGW....the post by 96lasersnake sealed it for me....looking forward to this mod....

I am sure you will love it. I am very picky with my cars and didnt want some loud hard to use shifter. My brothers barton is somewhat difficult to push down in to reverse and is louder. Was really impressed with the MGW, took a while to install but worth it. I have driven the car more since putting the shifter in, than the whole time I have owned it. I would make sure you get what ever "update" they are talking about in this thread.

NJSP117

Established Member
the Barton is a very well made piece and we definitely lose sales to them when we are still on such backorder. but that speaks volumes for our shifter. i have 22 cnc machines in my shop and we make alot of these but they STILL sell faster than we can make them. i hope to have all the shifters caught up and in stock by Christmas.

it is worth the wait i promise!!!

we also have a new feature product for our shifter debuting in about 2 weeks that makes our shifter offering go even farther ahead of the pack!!

george

George,
Ordered the shifter this past week. Will my order have the new feature? Or is this something that needs to be purchased separately? Let me know.
Thanks!

Pilks

Established Member
the Barton is a very well made piece and we definitely lose sales to them when we are still on such backorder. but that speaks volumes for our shifter. i have 22 cnc machines in my shop and we make alot of these but they STILL sell faster than we can make them. i hope to have all the shifters caught up and in stock by Christmas.

we also have a new feature product for our shifter debuting in about 2 weeks that makes our shifter offering go even farther ahead of the pack!!

george

Can't wait to see what the new feature product is. Ill be ordering an Mgw asap. I had one on my 98 GT and loved it. Tell us whats up.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I am somewhat hessitant to try another shifter.....Stock feels so smooth and I have had aftermarket shifter before and they are really notchy. Is this the same with the MGW's of 2011+? Are they as "smooth" as the stocker?

Looking forward to seeing the MGW "Updated" options.

86merc

Established Member
I am somewhat hessitant to try another shifter.....Stock feels so smooth and I have had aftermarket shifter before and they are really notchy. Is this the same with the MGW's of 2011+? Are they as "smooth" as the stocker?

I have driven cars with the SR, Steeda, MGW, Barton and Hurst. They all felt more notchy than the stock shifter. And has some increased noise. Some worse than others. The only one I noticed a significant reduction in the throw was the Barton. The others were not a big difference there. Not sure if that is something you are worried about.

When you look at a stock shifter you have to wonder if it will fail under hard driving. The base is thin stamped metal with a composite pivot that is riveted on. The stock shifter is not bad at all. Especially when used with an aftermarket shifter mount. But failure was my #1 concern with the stock unit.

stock *edit* Sorry, didn't realize the picture was that big. Replaced with a different picture.

IMG_0339.gif

Last edited:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Yeah I can say that when I installed the Steeda Black shifter bushing THAT made a World of difference in feel....to me anyways!

86merc

Established Member
I agree. The black bushing had a lot of noise. I switched to the red bushing and didn't notice much difference in feel or deflection. But the noise was reduced greatly.

5 DOT 0

Established Member

I'm probably one of only a few that is not in love with the MGW shifter. If I wasn't tracking my Boss I would have kept the stock shifter and swapped my Steeda shifter bracket for the Barton twin post bracket. I have my stock shifter safely stored and can see me reinstalling it at some point. My stock shifter with the Steeda shifter bracket and Redline MTL fluid shifted like butter. I think the biggest difference in feel for the MGW is gained from the shifter bracket (same design as the Barton) and that should be obvious by looking at the photo of the stock shifter bracket.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm probably one of only a few that is not in love with the MGW shifter. If I wasn't tracking my Boss I would have kept the stock shifter and swapped my Steeda shifter bracket for the Barton twin post bracket. I have my stock shifter safely stored and can see me reinstalling it at some point. My stock shifter with the Steeda shifter bracket and Redline MTL fluid shifted like butter. I think the biggest difference in feel for the MGW is gained from the shifter bracket (same design as the Barton) and that should be obvious by looking at the photo of the stock shifter bracket.

if you are having issues with the shifter in track duty then there is DEF something amiss with the install or the setup. i have teacked my previous 2012 boss alot and it performs so much better than ANY shifter. i have tried many setups with just brackets and i assure you that there is much more to it then just that bracket.

trying to downshift to 4th after a long straight or shifting up to third from a hairpin without the added spring pressure built into our shifter makes it a crap shoot at best.

call me anytime if you feel the shifter is not performing up to its fullest potential and maybe we can diagnose something.

george

Jroc

Established Member

I'm going to agree with you. MGW is a good shifter, but it does not eclipse other name brand STS on the market. MGW is pretty local to me relatively speaking(I'm in Columbia they're in Augusta) and I tend to like supporting industries close to me, but the things that kept me from getting one on my Terminator was 1) I always thought my Tri-Ax was just as good a shifter(I driven 2 Terminators with MGW's, and Terminators seem to have really been the car to make MGW a popular name in the Mustang community as before that everyone bought Pro 5.0's, Tri-Ax's, B&M's, Hurst, etc. Before my Terminator I bought Pro5.0's and thought they were great), and 2) all the fanboys who go on about how all these other aftermarket STS are crap and MGW shifters are great does not sit well with me because it's BS. All the popular aftermarket STS's are good produces in most cases. And I'm not trying to harp on or get mad at MGW as they're doing their job which is to sell their products. If you really want to legitly improve on the way your transmission shifts then invest in a T56 Magnum. A STS will not make a crappy feeling transmission shift like a tranny in a ITR or S2000, and people act like they do when they don't so they're just lying to or fooling themselves. Sure most aftermarket STS improve how the cars feel shifting gears IMO, but not nearly to the extent that most act like they do.

With that said I think a good STS is a smart mod for the price. I generally prefer them to factory shifters. And also if you want an MGW then great they make a good shifter, but at the same time on a scale of 1-10 if a Pro5.0 and a Tri-Ax is a 3 or 4 a MGW is not a 8. In reality they are all competitive with one another. Same with most things. Just because I'm a fan of Glocks doesn't make XD's or M&P's crappy guns or vice versa. They're all excellent weapons that are very competitive with one another, and you probably won't go wrong with any of them, unless you just get unfortunate and pick up a rare lemon.

Last edited:

NJSP117

Established Member
Good to see other opinions posted.
However, I received an e-mail today saying that my MGW had shipped and I cannot wait to get it and install it. Not just for track use, but for everyday driving as well. I like the stock shifter, but would really like a shorter throw.

65sohc

Established Member

george
It's been three weeks. What is the new feature?

rcode1965

Established Member
MGW all the way.. They have great products and great craftmanship, and a very good company... And concerned what their customers think. And willing to improve and and develop their products... :rockon:

jlwdvm

Established Member
I installed my Barton shifter and bracket (not the 2-post) that I had in my previous 2011 GT into my 2013 Boss and had trouble with the 1-2 gate. The shifter would go into the 1-2, but only if the shifter wasn't pushed all the way to the left before trying to engage 1/2. This shifter was purchased in the spring of 2011. I contacted Dave at Barton and tried a few things...nothing worked. Kept the bracket but installed the original shifter...problem solved. Sent the shifter back to Barton so Dave could look at it. He said they had been contacted by Shelby America for similar problems on some of their GT350's. Turns out there was a mid-run change in the casting of the shifter housing by Ford that doesn't agree with the early shifters (If I understand Dave correctly). He is waiting on some info from Ford to get the problem corrected. Excellent customer service from Dave and Barton!

Users who are viewing this thread