Best Shifter

5 DOT 0

Established Member
if you are having issues with the shifter in track duty then there is DEF something amiss with the install or the setup. i have teacked my previous 2012 boss alot and it performs so much better than ANY shifter. i have tried many setups with just brackets and i assure you that there is much more to it then just that bracket.

trying to downshift to 4th after a long straight or shifting up to third from a hairpin without the added spring pressure built into our shifter makes it a crap shoot at best.

call me anytime if you feel the shifter is not performing up to its fullest potential and maybe we can diagnose something.

george
Thanks George. I have no complaints about the quality of your shifter and mine is installed properly. It would be hard to imagine a better quality product than yours. I know other MGW owners that still have lock out on track. That's not a dis to your shifter as there are other issues at play here mainly the clutch. My comment about the bracket is IMO most, not all, of the improvement in removing the sloppy feel of the stock shifter from using your shifter is coming from your bracket design. That's my experience from using a Steeda shifter bracket then installing your shifter. My personal preference is not to have such a strong centering spring and I may remove one of the springs and see how I like it. On track your shifter feels better and I have more confidence downshifting from 5->4 at high speed.

Last edited:

straightliner1

Established Member
I just installed my MGW last night. The instruction manual is very detailed and explains about 95% of the install. They also refer you to the MGW videos online which I recommend you watch if you're in the market.

My initial impressions?
The install kinda sucks. I did it on the garage floor on jackstands but a lift would have made it MUCH easier. At one point you're going back and forth from under the car to the cabin and back and forth a few times. This was necessary but kind of tedious. Took me about 2 hours total.

Driving is different. The MGW does indeed have a more finite shifting feel. You have metal stops (no adustment necessary) and with this metal "feel" comes a bit of road noise. Is it noticeable? Yes. Is it overwhelming and unacceptable? To me no, but it's subjective. The reverse gate is a bit firmer. I'm hoping the entire shifter loosens up over time. It's a touch stiff but not offensively-so. Someone with limited upper-body strength *may* have issues getting into reverse. Ripping through the gears is a no-miss, no-fuss experience.

Order accuracy 4/4 stars
Price 3.5/4
Packaging 4/4
Presentation 4/4
Quality of craftsmanship 4/4
Product completeness 4/4
Fit and finish 4/4
Clarity of instructions 3.5/4
Ease of installation 3/4
NVH (noise) 3/4
Initial driving impression 3.5/4

This is a great unit and does it's job. Removing the sloppy questionable shifting associated with the stock shifter. Install isn't overly difficult, but it helps to have an extra set of hands. Overall, if you're on the fence about a shifter for your MT82, I recommend the MGW piece.

Boss949

Established Member
straightliner1

thanks for the great description. Mine should be delivered Tues and I'll have a mechanic with a lift do the install for me.

straightliner1

Established Member
You're welcome Boss949 - please keep in mind the install is completely do-able in the driveway or garage and only requires basic hand tools, but try to have a buddy help you. Take a look at the manual and see if it's worth attempting yourself.

Roadhouse

Established Member
I had the first generation Barton and am now using MGW's shifter. The Barton was very nice piece but to me the throw was too short and notchy. The MGW is butter smooth compared to the Barton and the throw is just right. Also, I was having trouble with the 1-2 shift with the Barton at high RPMs. The MGW shifter has totally alleviated that issue. The MGW shifter is such a well constructed piece, it's a shame it has to be covered up.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I installed my MGW today and would echo Staightliner1 and others for the most part. The only real difficulty I had was getting the rubber inner boot on the shifter - that alone took me over an hour (and a lot of cursing under my breath). I only got a chance to drive about 15 miles with it but I can already tell what a nice improvement it is over OEM. It is also better than the Steeda shifter and bushing I had on my '12.

I did notice a couple of times having trouble on 3-2 downshifts where it simply wouldn't let me into gear. Is this something that will loosen up over time? Or did I misalign something?

Roadhouse

Established Member
I installed my MGW today and would echo Staightliner1 and others for the most part. The only real difficulty I had was getting the rubber inner boot on the shifter - that alone took me over an hour (and a lot of cursing under my breath). I only got a chance to drive about 15 miles with it but I can already tell what a nice improvement it is over OEM. It is also better than the Steeda shifter and bushing I had on my '12.

I did notice a couple of times having trouble on 3-2 downshifts where it simply wouldn't let me into gear. Is this something that will loosen up over time? Or did I misalign something?

The rubber boot gave me a little trouble as well but overall wasn't too bad. Way better than the Barton that is for sure!

I had trouble with the 3-2 downshift for a bit when I first installed my MGW but it seems to have loosened up some, along with me being more comfortable with the shifter over time. Smooth sailin now.

65sohc

Established Member
I agree. The black bushing had a lot of noise. I switched to the red bushing and didn't notice much difference in feel or deflection. But the noise was reduced greatly.

I just installed the Steeda black bushing and it does firm up the feeling significantly. I had intended to use the red one but I'll be damned if I could cram that mo'fo into place lying on my back. Since it is quieter I would like to use it but is there some magic in getting it on, other than getting the car on a lift?

86merc

Established Member
I just installed the Steeda black bushing and it does firm up the feeling significantly. I had intended to use the red one but I'll be damned if I could cram that mo'fo into place lying on my back. Since it is quieter I would like to use it but is there some magic in getting it on, other than getting the car on a lift?

I did mine in the driveway. Installing the bushing and bracket at the same time was not happening. So I installed the rubber bushing on the shifter box with out the aluminum bracket. Once the bushing was on I installed the bracket. Went on with out much of a fight that way.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
We have installed many brands of shifters in Cobras, GT500s, new 5.0 and V6 cars, Bosses, etc. We recommend MGW always. Many customers have had other shifters in their cars and moved over to MGW on our recommendation. I have never had a single customer complain about the MGW or ask that their old shifter be reinstalled.
The MGW shifter is a piece of art (real shame you can't see it once installed), works flawlessly when installed correctly and gives the "tied into the car" feel that the Mustang needs.

Tim

PS, no I don't work for MGW or get paid to say this!

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

you may be needing to do the lock pin adjustment. i have a new install video that i will be putting up soon and part of it shows the pin adjustment.

ill post it soon but if you email me i can get you the direct link. but in a nutshell the small reverse lockout pin can be fine tuned for all cars. you may be going a little PAST the second gate area into the dead zone between the 1-2 gate and the reverse gate,. to fix you simply loosen the small lock nut on the passenger side and turn the pin out a little. or in a little depending on where it is.

george

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We have installed many brands of shifters in Cobras, GT500s, new 5.0 and V6 cars, Bosses, etc. We recommend MGW always. Many customers have had other shifters in their cars and moved over to MGW on our recommendation. I have never had a single customer complain about the MGW or ask that their old shifter be reinstalled.
The MGW shifter is a piece of art (real shame you can't see it once installed), works flawlessly when installed correctly and gives the "tied into the car" feel that the Mustang needs.

Tim

PS, no I don't work for MGW or get paid to say this!

thank you for the kind words i really appreciate it!!! :beer:

KBBoss302

Established Member
Hello George - I can't PM you for some reason but if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me the link to the video about how to adjust the shifter I would very much appreciate it.

By the way, I love the shifter but man that rubber boot was a pain! What trick did I miss? I watched the video and read your updated instructions but I got a small tear or two on the wider part that seals it to the car's transmission tunnel.

Thank you in advance!

John

Last edited:

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
MGW F-T-W!
Great to hear you decided to go with the MGW shifter. It is the best choice by far!

S

NJSP117

Established Member
Got my shifter in the mail today....
Ordered only a couple weeks ago and got it today! I have to say, it really is a work of art...I almost want to put this thing on a shelf and just stare at it! Lol! Excellent packaging, superior craftsmanship and a top quality part....i cannot wait to install this piece....kudos to MGW for making something this good!

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
George,

Whats the word on the shifter update you mentioned a few weeks ago?
Thsnks

Travis from SVT is coming down this weekend to do a video debut of the new rear bracket assembly we have designed. it basically takes the shifter to a new dimension of adjustability and personalization.

it will retrofit to all previous models of MGW shifter from 2005-present including GT500 models as well.

it will have 2 durometer rubber piller blocks that interchange. similar to the red and black bushings you get from other companies but much more effective at NVH dampening with VERY little reduction in precision.

the 2 options will basically "bookend" the standard bracket to the high and low side.

a softer street block for probably 80 percent of users that gives up very little in feel but is quieter and smoother in feel.

and a track block that is even stiffer than the standard bushing brackets.

pics and video coming soon i promise!!!

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
George, What size are the "Classic" and "Rally" shift balls!?

I have a 2" on my car now and it is perfect, I thinkthe 2.25" are too big. The ROUSH one I had was 1.75" (too Small)
Is there a way to get a shift ball from you that is 2"?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread