• Magnaflow

Votes: 231 24.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'll have to admit, the Magnaflow looks good, has good construction and a damn low price.

Some people say they do not like the sound.

Describe the sound?

Hell I saw them for 330 shipped on ebay yesterday.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
How many just voted for the one they own?

And what three clowns voted for stock?

kobra

Established Member
borla

Borlas rock !!!I love em wish i would have got them sooner got mine 549 shipped from extreme.Not the best video but....

Last edited:

PacWest

Established Member
You have got to check out www.mustangexhaust.com. This site has a huge collection of sound files with all sorts of combinations.

I have been going there for 2 days and I still can't decide.
It's almost too much information.;-)

I will agree that it's all about sound and looks. We are lucky with our cars in that we can find power lots of other places. A few horses in the exhaust is not a big deal.

I drive my car everyday and need to talk on the phone handsfree sometimes. I'm running between Portland and Seattle often on business and I can't stand drone, so I'm staying away from FlowMaster. Furthermore, I want a different sound out of this car. I've done the 60's American Muscle car sound a few times and it's time to modernize.

I want 4in tips, but the Basanni are almost too long for my taste. I also prefer a rolled edge on the tips instead of a slash cut like Basanni.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Ryan

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
what 3 clowns voted for stock - lmao

yeah the exhaust made this car 1000% more fun to drive. - like night and day

i waited 8 mos before i chose the flows and i tried to listen to as many as possible. there is something about the sound that i didnt like as much in the others. but to each his own, right - also i wanted to keep the oe style slash cut tips

negatives for flows are the non-ss construction, the bad design around the vibration damper and general low-buck hardware, etc. - if i have to replace in a couple years thats still ok with me

but man to me they sound freakin awesome! now i notice i hardly even turn on the radio anymore. drone? i dunno but drone to me sounds great - if thats even what it is - and it is there between 1800-2000 - to me it keeps the driving interesting i dont believe the posts ive read that fm doesnt make as much power as others - i gained 59 rwhp on just this and an open air element - so i guess even if it is true, i can live with it.

ultimately i will go with bassani midlength and x-pipe - but prolly still keep that fm catback -maybe they will make ss by then (doubt it tho)

cobra101

Established Member
Good to hear you like the flowmasters.

I don't wanna be too loud and I am guessing the fm is a bit quieter than the stingers or the bassani.

I guess I am narrowed between cheaper maggies or the fm catback. I noticed that flowmaster has two catbacks for us. American thunder with 3" SS tips OR the Delta Force Race Cat-back with full 3 inch pipes and 4" SS rolled tips.

Has anyone used this 3" catbacks with the 4" tips? pics? sounds?

here's a link with the two fm catbacks. I think I am leaning toward a full 3" catback.

http://www.ninosport.com/store/item_4.6LFlowmaster_Cat-backs.htm

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
cobra101 -

now that 3" system by fm is not a catback - it looks like a weld in system that is designed to be used with aftermarket headers on back. it doesnt look like a system you could use with your factory h-pipe - i could be wrong tho

yep at wot the flows prolly are not as loud as other systems you are right, but at idle it has a nice mellow sound and at 4k it howls

maggies pros: ss, proper design, good hardware, sound (if you like it, too raspy 4 me) maggies cons: rolled tips (not what i wanted), sound

best of luck with your choice

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by VERTIBLEMENACE
cobra101 -

now that 3" system by fm is not a catback - it looks like a weld in system that is designed to be used with aftermarket headers on back. it doesnt look like a system you could use with your factory h-pipe - i could be wrong tho

"Flowmaster Delta Force Race Cat-back
- For IRS-equipped '99-'01 Cobras only
- Designed for high horsepower applications
- Features Flowmaster's new "Super 40"™ mufflers
- Integrated "Scavenger Crossover Pipe"™
- Aluminized steel 3" diameter tubing
- Monster 4" rolled edge SS tips
- Fast flowing mandrel-bent tubing
- Cutting & welding required for installation"

cobra101

Established Member
I was looking for a 3 inch cat-back with flowmasters in their already. Does such a thing exist (bolt-on)?

If not, would it pay to buy the mandrel betn 3 inch flowmaster kit and have a shop cut and weld it in?

Would it just be easier to have a local shop custom make a 3 inch exhaust with American thunder or "super 40" mufflers? It may not be mandrel bent in that case, correct? hmmmmm...maybe I should just do the FM 2 1/2 cat-back with the american thunders.

Mann, this is a tough decision. Plus I have been stock quiet for so long I was really liking the stealth of it.

Maybe the dynomax 3 inch system is for me than. Quiet (compared to others) but good flow with the 3 inch tubing. I have a 2.75RR pulley and heard 3 inch exhaust really pays off when you approach the 500fwhp range (not so much with 400-450).

2814v

Established Member
I use to have a 97 cobra with Bassani x- pipe and maggie catback, I was so-so on the sound. got mixed results from other people. The old school hotrodders did'nt like it. One even told me it sounded kinda ricey(that hurt). With my 03, stingers and stock H, everybody likes it, exspecially the old schoolers. You will have popping on decel but my maggies had that too. Less drone with stingers and nothing had more drone then my old 95 GT with flowmasters could'nt stand it.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
SLP, just got done installing one, and that is the best quality cat back in a box that I have ever seen, and I have seen alot. Up until then I thought it was the Borla Stingers....but now the award goes to SLP. What an awsome deep throghty sound.

MikeW

Established Member
Originally posted by Jagged Edge
I have the Stingers and love the sound, but... you've got to be kidding... no drone? Are you sitting inside the car when you drive?:-D
JE

:) And I even Have a Vert. The x pipe seemed to make the drone less in the lower Rpms.

Now with the top down it's a different story:D

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by cobra101
I was looking for a 3 inch cat-back with flowmasters in their already. Does such a thing exist (bolt-on)?

Part # FLOJ17373
99-02 Ford Mustang Cobra 3.00-inch System, Super 40 mufflers, 4.00-inch embossed, stainless, rolled edge tips

/\
That sounds like what you're asking for. I'd call them and just make sure it will fit the 03/04.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I Just ordered the Steeda Cat-Bak from Blue Oval Performance, $548 with 40.73 Shipping. Guy said it would take 2 to 3 weeks. Now I need a baseline dyno! :)

I may go ahead and order the steeda CAI. Do any of you know what you have to do to service the filter on it?, like how hard is it to pull the filter out. Steps?

cobra101

Established Member
Elapidae,

I searched all over the web for that part number and can't find it. Where can I find this item?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread