Bdubbs twin disc clutch swap thread:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Good job Bdubbs. I believe shooty is correct you can use the 20% off on stands but not on floor jacks. I know because they wouldn’t let me in the one I bought that was like his pictures. Now I need to check fluid in it haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If you do pick 1 up from HBF. Take the top cover off(between that brass nipple and handle base) remove the screw/plug and add fluid as these sometimes come with little to none in the pumps.

If you get the car up higher off the ground maybe could get better leverage on pesky bolts. With a beaker bar or a pipe to slip over your wrench.

I didn't have a issue with the DS bolts(did the put in gear and Ebrake thing). But the bell to engine block bolts was a pain with LT headers right there. Till I grabbed the 1/2 impact. For my ease of removing those on the last 1 I got a nice little kick back/skip. Right to my front tooth it's a little chipped but not full on cletis.
Damn. Hopefully the bell housing bolts go smoothly. I'll be working on it today.

That floor jack is the Pittsburgh one I was looking at.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member
Ive torqued my driveshaft bolts once i think the exhaust has to be off for my wrench to fit and have enough throw. Usually i just double end wrench and give it hell.

Sounds like you re progressing well. Keep it up.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive torqued my driveshaft bolts once i think the exhaust has to be off for my wrench to fit and have enough throw. Usually i just double end wrench and give it hell.

Sounds like you re progressing well. Keep it up.
Thanks Mike. Can I clean the t56 a little? It's too dirty for my liking, I've been wiping it down.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Also what is best to clean flywheel and pressure plate?

Brake cleaner and a clean rag. As for the trans, I’d drag that thing to the driveway and blast it with a pressure washer if it was too dirty for my liking. Spray it down before adding the fresh oil. Oh and a few pages/post back speaking of trans fluid. I had RP oil in mine then switched to Amsoil synchromesh and it smoothed it out a ton, it really is good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I have that same jack and like it as well bought it right before I lowered the Cobra.

Bdubbs the trans is sealed you can clean it. I’d use brake cleaner my self. I’m sure a degreaser would work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys. I'm having a hell of a time with the 3rd starter bolt. Actually, I'm trying to tell if it's there. Wondering if shop left it out. But the starter isn't budging with the other two out.

MG0h3

Established Member
Gotta be in there. I had to use like two’ of extensions or something if I remember right. Think that was just to snug it down actually. Got in there with a 1/4 drive wobbly. I don’t have long tubes though so I’m sure those block your view.

It’s kind of on the block side of the starter. Maybe like 1 o clock if you could look at the heads of the bolts from the front of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Gotta be in there. I had to use like two’ of extensions or something if I remember right. Think that was just to snug it down actually. Got in there with a 1/4 drive wobbly. I don’t have long tubes though so I’m sure those block your view.

It’s kind of on the block side of the starter. Maybe like 1 o clock if you could look at the heads of the bolts from the front of the car.

Okay I'm trying to see it but can't. If I feel around up there I can feel a hole where a bolt should be. Maybe it's something else?

MG0h3

Established Member
Sometimes they can kinda get wedges in there. Just try lifting up on the back of the starter.

MG0h3

Established Member
I used a block of wood and floor jack on the front of the oil pan to tilt the engine back a little bit. Easy peasy. I have really good swivel sockets so that helps but a basic wobbly will work.

Honestly the hardest part for me was squeezing my forearms up along the floor pan and bellhousing to connect the O2s. Took me over 30min for one side lol. Had to rig up some tools to hold both ends.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well guys the clutch is out. I'll be selling my fidanza aluminum flywheel, as my clutch came with one.

Do I reuse this spacer ring thing that goes over the flywheel?

IMG_20181006_155055530_zps6ocmvwhr.jpg

IMG_20181006_160847119_zpsjqeqmcko.jpg

IMG_20181006_160859100_zpscytbv0w0.jpg

IMG_20181006_161002918_zpstprlhar6.jpg

IMG_20181006_170534856_HDR_zpsff68o0zy.jpg

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Pretty sure I reused mine with the RXT. It’s also deceiving and has a slightly odd bolt pattern so it only goes one way.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty sure I reused mine with the RXT. It’s also deceiving and has a slightly odd bolt pattern so it only goes one way.

Mine seems a little tweaked or slightly bent. I'm sure it's flush when bolted up.

I'm also looking at replacing transmission to bell housing bolts and bell housing to block bolts. I'll be calling Autonation on Monday.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Mine seems a little tweaked or slightly bent. I'm sure it's flush when bolted up.

I'm also looking at replacing transmission to bell housing bolts and bell housing to block bolts. I'll be calling Autonation on Monday.

What’s wrong with yours, are they corroded or something?

MG0h3

Established Member
If the spacer you are referring to is screwed on to the flywheel, no. That’s a steel insert on the aluminum flywheel. You just replace that every time you do a clutch rather than surfacing a steel clutch.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If the spacer you are referring to is screwed on to the flywheel, no. That’s a steel insert on the aluminum flywheel. You just replace that every time you do a clutch rather than surfacing a steel clutch.

I'm referring to the spacer ring thing. It's not bolted on. It goes over the flywheel . You can see it in my flywheel picture .
What’s wrong with yours, are they corroded or something?

Some of the bolt heads are a little rounded.

Users who are viewing this thread