Bdubbs twin disc clutch swap thread:

cj428mach

Established Member
mine was a bitch getting through both discs and into the pilot.

Even though the DYAD is a twin disc the input shaft only goes through one of them, the other disc catches on pins in the front disc. Its no harder to install than a single disc, and I've used the plastic alignment tool 3 times with out issue. You just need to hold the plastic input shaft centered while you tighten it down.

cj428mach

Established Member
Awesome. I'll be asking you plenty of questions. :)

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Don't hesitate to ask.

Also don't forget you can't be too clean on a clutch install. I suggest installing the flywheel then using brake clean and a rag to wipe it all down. Then install your discs making sure you install them with the correct side facing the flywheel. After that clean the pressure plate surface with brake clean as well before installing.

The DYAD will be harsh for a while but give it time and you won't regret it. Mine initially felt like it would rattle your teeth out, then it took about 800 miles to get good, and about 1200 miles to drive wonderfully.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Also don't forget you can't be too clean on a clutch install. I suggest installing the flywheel then using brake clean and a rag to wipe it all down.
Even better is using paper towels to wipe everything clean. Shop rags or any rag that has gone through a washing machine will likely have trace amounts of detergent or softener left in them. This can cause serious issues getting the new disc to bed-in.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't hesitate to ask.

Also don't forget you can't be too clean on a clutch install. I suggest installing the flywheel then using brake clean and a rag to wipe it all down. Then install your discs making sure you install them with the correct side facing the flywheel. After that clean the pressure plate surface with brake clean as well before installing.

The DYAD will be harsh for a while but give it time and you won't regret it. Mine initially felt like it would rattle your teeth out, then it took about 800 miles to get good, and about 1200 miles to drive wonderfully.
Great information. I just picked up a tranny jack at harbor freight. Should really start tackling this next week.

Did you do all the initial 500 mile stop and go break in period?

MG0h3

Established Member
Great information. I just picked up a tranny jack at harbor freight. Should really start tackling this next week.

I just did normal errands. I think mine called for 800 Miles or 1200 actuations or something. Can’t remember. I gradually eased into it about half way in and then started hammering it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

cj428mach

Established Member

Good move on the jack. Having the right tools makes a job so much easier.

I went and cruised main back and forth (multiple stop lights) and drove around town. I had close to 300 miles before i tried it a few times. Then took it easy until 500 miles.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
What is your current clutch setup in the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
As im working on my car currently and pulling the valve covers it made me think. Now might be a good time to do your valve covers as you have to pull the clutch cable loose and its already jacked up if you need to undo the motor mount.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
As im working on my car currently and pulling the valve covers it made me think. Now might be a good time to do your valve covers as you have to pull the clutch cable loose and its already jacked up if you need to undo the motor mount.
Not a bad idea. But I have a feeling this clutch swap won't go as smooth as I hope. I keep thinking I should wait until spring and put the car up for the year.

cj428mach

Established Member
Not a bad idea. But I have a feeling this clutch swap won't go as smooth as I hope. I keep thinking I should wait until spring and put the car up for the year.

Do you say that when you re about to do a lift? Probably not, the community is here to help you along the way.

Really with the input shaft already done, it ll be cake.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
DSC05513.JPG
DSC05519.JPG
DSC05520.JPG
It's pretty strait forward. Gonna need close to 2 feet of 3/8 extensions to get the top passenger bolt(labeled bitch bolt) out from trans to bell housing, coming from the back of the trans.

Gonna have to remove the trans brace and while a jack is under it. Then let it down slowly so you can get that top passenger bolt with your 2 feet of extensions.
I decided to remove the shiftier plate on top of trans, just to make removal a little easier.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you say that when you re about to do a lift? Probably not, the community is here to help you along the way.

Really with the input shaft already done, it ll be cake.
I wouldn't be getting a lift until my dream garage gets put up.

Users who are viewing this thread