B Upper to C lower Adapter Finally

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I have 1 plate left. It was actually one of the first ones made, but the holes were miss drilled (my fault) and I had the holes welded and re-drilled using the factory template the shop has. I am sure that it will give no problems, however it is a repaired mistake. I will sell this plate WITHOUT HARDWARE for $150. If you need a plate, they are probably 1 month out due to the shop being bogged down. I MIGHT be able to get one or two pushed through but that isn't guaranteed. If for some reason this plate doesn't work I will gladly refund your money if you send the plate back. 419-689-4314

mustang8650

Established Member
Well I managed to get my adapter installed, looks good on there, have a unported lower so had to take a little material off on the lower but was able to clearance it to fit fine now, once I get my fore rails in (on the way) and installed I'll post up some pictures...

The only thing that's killing me is a did this C head swap and I got to reading again about the 96-98 cam swaps all the C head cobra guys are doing (cheap swap to gain 20rwhp), and I'm thinking :rollseyes I wish I would have known I needed to do that when I had the engine at DSS getting built, I had them throw the 03/04 heads on the shortblock while they had it and they timed up the cams and everything for me, if I would have given them the 96-98 cams off my old heads I would have had them installed already. So I essentially did a head upgrade with a cam downgrade, nice lol :rollseyes

Now wondering if its worth swapping to the 98 cams or not, I have the engine on the engine stand still just waiting for the fuel rails to come in and this engine is ready to go in. I'm guessing that if DSS already timed up the cams for me that would mean I could swap out the cams without screwing around with degreeing the 98 cams?

mustang8650

Established Member
Well got the engine installed with the adapter plate, only issue I'm running into hood clearance. I have a racecraft K member and Energy Suspension urethane 4-1127R motor mounts. Everything should be exact stock height as for engine height but I start hitting the intake right about when the safety latch catches. I can go ahead and shove it closed all the way and don't see the hood bowing but its leaving some deep indents in the hoodliner. Not sure if taking out the hoodliner will quite cut it, appears to be only 1/8" thick.

Trying to figure out a few ways to just get another 1/4"-1/2" of clearance, can think of about 4 ways....

1. Run a urethane motor mount with 1/2" drop (don't wanna run pure solid motor mounts), if anyone knows of someone that makes them?
2. Ditch the racecraft K member and go with one with a 1/2" drop....
3. Shave 1/8" off lower intake gasket surface, and shave off another 1/8" of the upper intake gasket surface....
4. Buy a different hood

Running choices around in my mind, really wanna run this adapter and managed to keep all my emissions and the 96-98 cobra look going this route...

IMAG0009_zps642b4f9d.jpg

mustang8650

Established Member
Just shim your k-member down. Not hard to do, not expensive.

I happened to see some Maximum motorsports shims today that do that, were available in 1/4" and 1/2", only thing is it will also increase my ride height in the front by that much as well, for some reason ever since we put the car back together the front is riding way higher than when we took it apart originally, radiator has to go in yet and throttle body, but those don't weigh much so not sure what the deal is, good to know I can go this route if all else fails tho...

Just thought, this car is going to have turbos and intercooler, maybe that'll help bring the front back down lol....

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
Are these still being produced? I am building a cheap C head combo for my '04 and have a B head intake kicking around.

stanggirl14

Established Member
Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member

stanggirl14

Established Member
LOL, seems like it is making the rounds without being used. Are people's plans changing or is there any unexpected issue with using the adapter?

I don't believe there were any issues with it, I never actually installed it, traded my 96 cobra in on an 04 cobra last year so I didn't need it anymore. :)

97riocobra2

Established Member
I bought it from stanggirl and started hoarding parts for the swap, but personal life has dictated I sell my extra parts. It seems I have pulled the trigger on a few too many parts and ended up changing plans or other "Life" things popped up. So, I am reluctantly selling stuff.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I have received numerous texts and phone calls about these adapters. I just talked to the shop. If I have enough interested people that place orders they will punch a few out for me. Looking like a 2-3 week turn around right now. Let me know and soon please. 419-689-4314 This will probably be the last batch for awhile.

nomoretickets

Established Member
I have received numerous texts and phone calls about these adapters. I just talked to the shop. If I have enough interested people that place orders they will punch a few out for me. Looking like a 2-3 week turn around right now. Let me know and soon please. 419-689-4314 This will probably be the last batch for awhile.

Still trying to do one last run on these?

Users who are viewing this thread