Are the '11 - 2014 the last of the ''Muscle'' Mustangs?

west08

Established Member
My wife works in the prototype department at Ford, and I don't think that they are working on building 2018 anythings. The programs she is on are still only 2017 models and she hasn't said anything about 2018s being built. But that doesn't mean they are not being built somewhere.

Also, for the camo'd prototype vehicles, they will often only take off the black plastic camo stuff and leave the zebra stripes or spots on because they are are either painted on or they don't take the time to mess with taking vinyl stickers off.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
100% agreed. I just had my first '15 sighting in person this week, and was just as disappointed as I thought I'd be. There's literally nothing that drew me to the car.. really disappointing as a Mustang enthusiast since I was old enough to appreciate cars.

The '15 had the opposite effect on me. When I saw it in pics when it was first released I liked it. When I saw it in person at the Houston Auto Show in January of last year I liked it a lot more. I was at a Ford dealership a few weeks ago, not even looking to buy a Mustang, and I saw a black GT with the performance pack and I knew right away I had to have one. I test drove it and a week later I found mine (that one had other stuff I didn't want on it) and that was that.

I absolutely love this car. I don't feel Ford "went away" from what makes it a Mustang at all. It's just the next evolvement just like they've been doing all along. Just because a car has a lot of nice options, is comfortable, and drives nice doesn't mean it's not true to its heritage. It doesn't have to be stripped down and beat you to death when you drive it to be "real."

I just gave her a bath today. :cool man:

450af4a6-be7f-4205-9042-f91f4d728843_zpsb53d8b11.jpg

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
To me the Terminator was the last one that had a truly raw muscle car feel.

But the Terminators were the best they could do at the time, and it's just because we've had so many new and refined Mustangs since then that they seem raw 10-12 years from now we'll look back at the S550 and think that car was raw for the time and same with the 13-14 GT500s.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
But the Terminators were the best they could do at the time, and it's just because we've had so many new and refined Mustangs since then that they seem raw 10-12 years from now we'll look back at the S550 and think that car was raw for the time and same with the 13-14 GT500s.

Could be but a top loader tranny and throttle cable are things we aren't going to be seeing/feeling again.

5.0 Silverback

Established Member
Could be a long drawn out thread you have made OP.

Most people at the track, mustang buddies and people I run into agree the 11-14's are something special and it was the death of any muscle car refinement the Mustang had left when the 15' came out. I like the 15' and I could see myself owning a 16' or 17' GT350 or specialty type Mustang but overall I prefer my 14' over any 15 I have seen in person or on the web.

The 15' is leading Ford into the future and we are seeing this also with smaller new Challenger in the next couple years. There was a period when the Mustang, camaro and challenger reinvented the modern budget muscle car scene in 2011ish. But it will only continue be dominated by smaller cars being made with twin turbos v6's putting out insane amounts of power and pissing on modern V8's.

Troponin

Established Member
This subject is def up for debate, but I personally felt like the SN95 went in the wrong direction. Even to this day, I don't care for the body style because it lacks the look of a real muscle car and looks too much like a "chic's car", which would probably explain why sales to females exploded for 94 and 95.

When Ford finally started adding back the sharper edges and more squared off body parts, it started looking like a muscle car again, IMO.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Muscle car market is dead. Ford is going where everyone else wants to go. You go with the broader market. More people want a refined sports car that can do it all. Not just something that sucks up gas in a straight with a box interior.

Last edited:

bodon

Established Member
I think the 11-14 Mustangs(especially 13-14's) are the best Mustangs ever produced. Definitely scream "muscle".

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Muscle car market is dead. Ford is going where everyone else wants to go. You go with the broader market. More people want a refined sports car that can do it all. Not just something that sucks up gas in a straight with a box interior.

This.

Not to mention these "muscle" Mustangs have had the worst sales figures in history.

I think the 11-14 Mustangs(especially 13-14's) are the best Mustangs ever produced. Definitely scream "muscle".

Meh.

The only thing they scream to me is lackluster styling lightly derived from an era of mustangs that wasnt good looking to begin with (IMO the late late 60's and early 70's), that resemble something a retard with a putty knife could chisel out of a block of cheese.

Its funny, the 11-14 Mustangs arent a big departure from 05-10 except for power. So the only thing that screams "muscle" is the motor, it gots dat 5.0 bruh.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

This.

Not to mention these "muscle" Mustangs have had the worst sales figures in history.

Meh.

The only thing they scream to me is lackluster styling lightly derived from an era of mustangs that wasnt good looking to begin with (IMO the late late 60's and early 70's), that resemble something a retard with a putty knife could chisel out of a block of cheese.

Its funny, the 11-14 Mustangs arent a big departure from 05-10 except for power. So the only thing that screams "muscle" is the motor, it gots dat 5.0 bruh.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I almost feel like you could take the 2005-2014 Mustangs out of the lineup and the 2015 would like look the natural evolution of the SN95/New Edge design.

CaDDy

Banned
This.

Meh.

I would agree with you about the difference between 05-12 not being much or being very drastic on the exterior. I'm aware the 5.0 arrived for '-11 but it didn't come together as an awesome package until the '13. I have to say that after owning my GT for 7 years I HAD to change the looks and the power/handling.(thank you Roush and Steeda!) I love the way 13-14 mustangs look and would enjoy owning one of those or a '15 equally.

The muscle is still there it's just hiding under a Tuxedo instead of a wife beater now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread