Are the '11 - 2014 the last of the ''Muscle'' Mustangs?

Five.Oh

Established Member
I think some of it has to do with "moving with the time" and I think Ford is moving in the right direction. IRS being standard is a perfect example, it's not very "muscle car" but kind of a necessary for a 201x year car. Everyone's going to have a different opinion based on their age or fanaticism.

Agree, I do like the new IRS set up. That is a huge advantage IMO, the IRS alone made me think about trading in on a new 2015 GT model but I am going to let it grow on me and maybe I will pull the trigger on a GT350 in a year or so. If I am going to do it I might as well wait for the 350.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It is still a heavy two door car with a big v8 that 400 naturally aspirated horsepower under the hood. Sounds like the classic definition of a muscle car to me.

In my opinion I like the look of wide hips over the rear wheels. Makes it look muscular and strong to me. Much more than any recent mustang.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Lol whatever floats his boat, I guess I forgot that it was him who was there and not me.... I have no need to make anything up, I like the 15s.

he might not be saying you are making up the story, but lets be real, how is the dude testing the car know what ford is gonna release 3 years down the road.... The story the dude handed to you sounded like bs or just a guesstimate. Altho I wouldn't be surprised to see a power jump in a few years, just looking back at history anyone here could of seen that coming.

TRMach1

Established Member
he might not be saying you are making up the story, but lets be real, how is the dude testing the car know what ford is gonna release 3 years down the road.... The story the dude handed to you sounded like bs or just a guesstimate. Altho I wouldn't be surprised to see a power jump in a few years, just looking back at history anyone here could of seen that coming.

His words were that they were already working on the 2018s, he said to me that it takes them about 3 years to work on these cars. I personally told him that I wanted a 15 but was waiting to see if the 16s brought a hp jump because I didn't want to be like the people who bought the 2010s then a year later almost a 100hp increase with the 5.0. That's when he told me that they were already working on the 2018s and that there was not going to be a jump in hp for 16 or 17.

Once again, these were his words not mine. I'm just stating what I have been told I don't see why I would have to lie on a forum what exactly would that do for me?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Numbers to remember, 38.2, 39.6, and 41.1. Those are the CAFE fuel standards for 2016,17, and 18. If Ford does not start making more fuel efficient options for their high performance vehicles, they will have to price them so high that sales are small enough not to drag down the average. With sales that low, the vehicles are not profitable to make. Once Ford beats down the CAFE monster, there is also the new CO2 standards that are coming out. Face it, the internal combustion engine will be killed by the EPA.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

it's 2015, not that hard to believe they're developing the 2018's now. I mean, they'll be released sometime in 2017 right, so thats only 2 years from now.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
it's 2015, not that hard to believe they're developing the 2018's now. I mean, they'll be released sometime in 2017 right, so thats only 2 years from now.

I'm just saying I doubt anything is finalized. Like mentioned above the CAFE standards are going nowhere but up in the upcoming years, and that will surely influence what ford releases. And like I said, Ford has been known for their horsepower bumps every 4 years or so, puts it right on track with the 2018s, but anyone of us could of guessed that.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Not really although the new mustang is cool and sleeker it's not as iconic looking as the 11-14 IMO . However the interior is nicer and the gadgets are cooler . I think the mustang is still Americana ... Too bad the front end looks like a catfish .

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Not really although the new mustang is cool and sleeker it's not as iconic looking as the 11-14 IMO . However the interior is nicer and the gadgets are cooler . I think the mustang is still Americana ... Too bad the front end looks like a catfish .

As opposed to a front end that looks like a hog nose? :dancenana:

Riptide

Established Member
Numbers to remember, 38.2, 39.6, and 41.1. Those are the CAFE fuel standards for 2016,17, and 18. If Ford does not start making more fuel efficient options for their high performance vehicles, they will have to price them so high that sales are small enough not to drag down the average. With sales that low, the vehicles are not profitable to make. Once Ford beats down the CAFE monster, there is also the new CO2 standards that are coming out. Face it, the internal combustion engine will be killed by the EPA.
I believe this is EXACTLY what is going to happen. Environmental standards are being raised high enough by the government that eventually the mustang will be discontinued entirely because it will be unprofitable and priced entirely out of reach of the average person. Ford might bring it back some day as an all electric or fuel cell car. But I am guessing there will be some blank space during that transition where it's not around.

Five.Oh

Established Member
I believe this is EXACTLY what is going to happen. Environmental standards are being raised high enough by the government that eventually the mustang will be discontinued entirely because it will be unprofitable and priced entirely out of reach of the average person. Ford might bring it back some day as an all electric or fuel cell car. But I am guessing there will be some blank space during that transition where it's not around.

All that makes sense to me. Its sad but true, Although I don't see the hellcat or new Camaro's having much more of a leg up on fuel efficiency over the Mustang's. When will the bubble burst..

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Do you guys get how CAFE standards work? It's based off the averages between the car segment and then the truck segment. The Mustang could get 10mpg average and n'vebe in violation of anything, but that means Ford's other cars have to pick up slack to meet the average. As long as they keep Mustangs around like the V6 and Ecoboost that can get EPA ratings of 30+mpg then the Mustang will be fine as V8s account for fewer sales In comparison. Now it's only a small margin of the CAFE standards that big selling cars like the Fusion, Focus, and Fiesta have to account for.

Worst case scenario is that the standards get so ridiculous that they are forced to pair the V8 with a hybrid system to raise the mileage. Its already been said that Cadillac is doing this with all their next gen vehicles and that the Camaro is a candidate for it as well.

Last edited:

Riptide

Established Member
The issue is that getting the other cars to keep "picking up the slack" at some point may become unfeasible. 54.5mpg is the 2025 cafe #.

A hybrid mustang could be the answer and I was thinking about that earlier today. Not sure how popular such a configuration would be. Who knows.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I don't know this for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the mileage game is just like the diesel power game. Basically, don't show all your cards. They've probably got tons of technology lined up for the future but there's no point in utilizing it now because that will just cause the feds to jack up the CAFE standards even higher and sooner. I don't think any of the manufacturers are going to be short-sighted here and all are planning for the future, and even working together to do that.

I like the idea of hybrid powertrains but not sure how I like it in a Mustang. I don't know all the variables of how it can work but won't it make the car AWD? I would keep the Mustang RWD at all costs but if they were forced into hybrid powertrains I wouldn't be complaining about the huge gains in performance.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The issue is that getting the other cars to keep "picking up the slack" at some point may become unfeasible. 54.5mpg is the 2025 cafe #.

A hybrid mustang could be the answer and I was thinking about that earlier today. Not sure how popular such a configuration would be. Who knows.

They'll just produce less higher horsepower lower MPG cars to augment the fleetwide averages back up.

The consumer gets ****ed in the end with higher costs if vehicles and poorer selections. But until we start assassinating these ****heads that are making these regulations nothing will change.

Expect a Mustang gt to hit $50k because they'll sell half the amount they used to sell but will still have the R&D costs to amortize over the model lifespan, but a base 2.3 will still be the same and just increase with inflation and base R&D costs.

Attaus

Established Member
Last week I saw a 15 in camo so I was checking it out and the ford engineer approached me and said that they were in Florida testing the car because of some temperature sensors that are being improvised for the 16s. Felt great when he said that him personally he would take the 13-14s over the 15, to him they felt a little big/heavy and the sheet metal was just a little weird. He also said that they were not planning to up the hp for next year, to wait till 2018 if I wanted a jump in hp he sounded pretty excited when he said that.

Last week in camo? Sounds a little fishy since the car has been out of camo for a while now, and its.. on sale. Test engineers are explicitly instructed not to disclose anything to civilians on what they are doing, or at all. They are supposed to ignore any interaction, as rude as it seems. So even if this were true, understand you were privileged the info and I would be careful who you share it with, considering the person responsible could very easily be found and reprimanded.

Considering the Mustang was never a muscle car to begin with..... Nope.

Exactly. The Mustang has never been a "muscley" car, it has been a pony car with go-fast parts. The 64.5 was no muscle car. Whether or not you like the '15 looks, it is the first Mustang to ever come equipped with a line lock, and has the most powerful V8 we have seen in a stock GT. With city mileage in the teens and almost two tons of heft I'd say its more of a muscle car than it has ever been.

Users who are viewing this thread