A Very Brief Photo History of Ford's Special Vehicle Team ("SVT")

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
Awesome thread , Id like to see the 99-01's included and the first gen lightning also , were all family no need to leave them out :beer:

I also got a crazy idea from this thread, what if i purchased a 2013 gt500 , de-shelby'd it and added some custom SVT Cobra Emblems??

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Here you go...

The 1999/2001 New Edge Cobra – The Missing Reference

In 1999, SVT launched the New Edge Cobra - with the first production IRS ever installed in a Mustang. The ’99, and later,’01 Cobra featured the updated look of the New Edge design and a moderately improved chassis and naturally-aspirated 4.6 over the previous SN-95-based platform. The IRS was immediately welcomed by many for its improved handling prowess...and equally loathed for its tendency to induce wheel-hop on hard launch. The IRS vs. SRA debate has continued to this day.

Despite the great enthusiasm for SVT’s move to an iron-block engine, forced-induction motor, ever increasing horsepower (and weight) levels - and John Coletti’s own characterization of the next N/A Cobra prototype in 2002 as a “dog” - there remains a strong interest in the lighter, handling-oriented Mustang concept that the New Edge Cobra typifies. This continued interest has in no small way been vindicated with the recent release of the new BOSS Mustangs. The interest in a 3,500lb, 400+ hp N/A Mustang still has great appeal among Mustang handling enthusiasts..

The new smaller, lighter, more modern, World Platform-based Mustang – with an improved IRS and the superior, highly evolved, naturally-aspirated Coyote engine - may validate the original ‘99/’01 Cobra concept in many ways as being ahead of its time. Due to its position in Mustang lineage behind the more powerful supercharged Terminator – and John Coletti’s own unfortunate characterization of pre-Terminator Cobras - the New Edge Cobra is often lovingly referred to by its strong proponent base as the “Red-Headed Step-Child of SVT”. Of course, New Edge Cobra fans and owners really know better.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Great thread Travis, I did not mean to nit pick it.

There is always the edit feature, this would be a sticky worthy article with just a few more details.

The photos are fantastic, especially the Raptor section.:rockon:

T800

Established Member
There are SVT badges all over those cars. "Shelby" is basically just a name on the car. I always thought it would be nice if FRPP sold the parts necessary to de-Shelby a GT500 properly.

Great thread!

Still don't see "Cobra" anywhere on the car. I see Shelby's little snake...but reading post after post on the net and dealership ad's calling the GT500 a Ford Cobra is a little irritating(especially when shopping for an 03-04).

My opinion is the SVT Cobra died with the 04...hopefully we will see a "Terminator 2" somewhere down the road though. :burnout:

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
Don't forget about the 1998 SVT Thunderbird Concept.....

tbirdarticle.jpg

images

turnpike_cruise

4.10's FTMFW
Established Member
I believe this thread was intended only to be for the cars that made it to production. There are tons of SVT concepts that never make it anywhere. Sorry man, would have loved to own an SVT T-Bird. The Super Coupe was a cool car and fun to drive.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Don't forget about SVO.. That is when it really got started. Special Vehicle Operations Department was the roots for SVT.

Anyone notice the seats in the pic of the yellow 03 vert?

Users who are viewing this thread