A Very Brief Photo History of Ford's Special Vehicle Team ("SVT")

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
93 through 95 1st gen SVT Lightnings??
No love?

emma-watson-s-troll-face_528_poster.jpg

I have much love for them, but didn't have the pics handy.

This thread rules. Sid just swap the 1995 Cobra to the top, and 1996 Cobra to bottom because of the captions. :)

I just played with the caption a little.

Fantastic writeup! :beer:

At the end of 2004 mustang cobra svt was no longer making cas or trucks if the badge is not on the trunk or tail gate it not an svt.we had our own plant

That is wholly incorrect.

nice pics :beer:

this is interesting, and has been a very hot topic of debate on this board over the years...

It's also completely false.

The '99 and '01 Cobras never get a seat at the table.

Same issue is the Gen 1 L. I'm considering working on a much more detailed story in the future.:beer:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Great thread.

SID, there were 1010 Mystichromes produced, not 1000. Just saying lol.

Also, maybe if you get a chance, throw in the 03 10th Annivesary edition?

anthonyg

Established Member
I didn't think SVT had anything to do with the 07 and up GT 500. How can they be built by Shelby and SVT at the same time? Does the GT 500 have a SVT build # or Shelby build #?

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
First off , props to Sid for a another great thread and a good history lesson! :rockon:

. . . but yeah, I was debating myself if I'd bring up the '99/01 "freeze out" 'cause every time we do we're labeled as "whiners and complainers". Thing is, if it didn't keep happening, we wouldn't keep bringing it up. :shrug:

. . . if you need some good photogs there's a few here . . .

Yep, obvious omission. Good call.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Great thread SID197 again! Thanks for the cool things you do!

Thanks, I'm glad you guys like it.

awesome to see the svt contour get recognized despite it being shit on even on this forum! :p

I'd like to have a CSVT someday.

Great thread.

SID, there were 1010 Mystichromes produced, not 1000. Just saying lol.

Also, maybe if you get a chance, throw in the 03 10th Annivesary edition?

Fixed. There's a good chance we'll do a more extensive thread sometime in the future.

Awesome thread idea and good job Travis :beer:

I didn't think SVT had anything to do with the 07 and up GT 500. How can they be built by Shelby and SVT at the same time? Does the GT 500 have a SVT build # or Shelby build #?

SVT designed and engineered the GT500 and Ford built it. The only thing Shelby about it was the name.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Sorry...I just cannot think of GT500's as part of the SVT family. To much "Shelby' associated with it.

I know SVT was/is involved with the GT500s but without any SVT badging(to my knowledge engine excluded) it is tough for me to think of them in that way .

Also, I cannot call them "Cobras" either. I know it is just a mental thing and would really like to see a stand alone SVT Cobra without Shelby's company involved with it.

Unlikely a new Cobra will be made with the BOSS 302 being made.... Flame suit ready!

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sorry...I just cannot think of GT500's as part of the SVT family. To much "Shelby' associated with it.

I know SVT was/is involved with the GT500s but without any SVT badging(to my knowledge engine excluded) it is tough for me to think of them in that way .

Also, I cannot call them "Cobras" either. I know it is just a mental thing and would really like to see a stand alone SVT Cobra without Shelby's company involved with it.

Unlikely a new Cobra will be made with the BOSS 302 being made.... Flame suit ready!

There are SVT badges all over those cars. "Shelby" is basically just a name on the car. I always thought it would be nice if FRPP sold the parts necessary to de-Shelby a GT500 properly.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
There are SVT badges all over those cars. "Shelby" is basically just a name on the car. I always thought it would be nice if FRPP sold the parts necessary to de-Shelby a GT500 properly.

My ignorance then. I would gladly own a GT500 so please don't think I 'hate" GT500's at all...especially with the 13's and 662 HP.

C&D picked the ZL1over the 13 GT500...what a shame...You mean the GT500 that is faster in a straight line and more "exciting" to drive, ties the ZL1 lap time but comes in 2nd because C&D tools feel the ZL1 is a better engineered car and advances the automotive industry more? WTF is that? They know the 13 GT500 is more fun to drive.

I want to see track times after someone with enough skill drives the GT500.

C&D reminds me of Clarkson on Top Gear...when the power gets too much for his skill level suddenly the slower car is better

Sorry..rant over..Great post BTW

KILRSVT

Established Member
Awesome pics and although not all the svt
Mustangs are in there pretty food idea of what the svt team
Is all about... I guess back in the day it was svo but that didn't have much
Succes

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Awesome pics and although not all the svt
Mustangs are in there pretty food idea of what the svt team
Is all about... I guess back in the day it was svo but that didn't have much
Succes

That's a good point, the many phases/names of "SVT". Sid, you'll definitely need to point that up in some way if you do a more in depth piece. I seem to recall for brief time there was an "SVE" - Special Vehicle Engineering, right before SVT was formalized.

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
Awesome Thread I'm glad I own one SVT....

My ignorance then. I would gladly own a GT500 so please don't think I 'hate" GT500's at all...especially with the 13's and 662 HP.

C&D picked the ZL1over the 13 GT500...what a shame...You mean the GT500 that is faster in a straight line and more "exciting" to drive, ties the ZL1 lap time but comes in 2nd because C&D tools feel the ZL1 is a better engineered car and advances the automotive industry more? WTF is that? They know the 13 GT500 is more fun to drive.

I want to see track times after someone with enough skill drives the GT500.

C&D reminds me of Clarkson on Top Gear...when the power gets too much for his skill level suddenly the slower car is better

Sorry..rant over..Great post BTW

Come on man they only picked the zL1 because it's built with Government money lol

We all know who the King is

Users who are viewing this thread