#8 explained a little better:

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
while that's true, I don't see puddles of oil staying in manifold, maybe a coating of oil. While I pulled mine with the stock pcv I expected to see a lot but actually seen none minus residue of oil in the intake. Also the oil could cause detonation from lowering the octane, but shouldn't cause it lean to a point that only those cylinders would go, it would affect them all within reason

My intake was bad, Shaun can attest to that! one pic actually had a small puddle in the front of the intake. I was doing a lot hard downshift decels and notice even with the blower and JLT oil separator that there is more oil in it (not much mind you) when I do that vice when I dont.

01bluesnake

Established Member
My intake was bad, Shaun can attest to that! one pic actually had a small puddle in the front of the intake. I was doing a lot hard downshift decels and notice even with the blower and JLT oil separator that there is more oil in it (not much mind you) when I do that vice when I dont.

While I don't disagree you may of had more oil than mine, I will say I don't see this as being the issue. Where the port is at the manifold for the pcv, it would likely go to cyl 1 or bank 1 the most being right next to it. The oil is coming in as a mist at most under vacuum, but while under heavy vacuum it won't jump over to the other side of the manifold and all the way to the back before going to the other cylinders first and would cause other cylinders to fail first, more likely cyl 1 & 2. If you take a look at the stock manifold you can easily see why this is not the cause of number 8 failure. The pcv is only allowing a fine oil mist at most and only while the motor is running, so not very easy for it to only attack cyl 8 without getting to the others first.

Last edited:

alex12gt

Established Member
Think it also depends on your motor and driving id say i drive my car pretty hard and with the can being on for 5k miles there is only a table spoon or so and some have stated the can half fill a jlt in that time

01bluesnake

Established Member
Think it also depends on your motor and driving id say i drive my car pretty hard and with the can being on for 5k miles there is only a table spoon or so and some have stated the can half fill a jlt in that time

It does. The higher the car revs, the more crankcase pressure it will develop, pushing it through the pcv or catch can.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
While I don't disagree you may of had more oil than mine, I will say I don't see this as being the issue. Where the port is at the manifold for the pcv, it would likely go to cyl 1 or bank 1 the most being right next to it. The oil is coming in as a mist at most under vacuum, but while under heavy vacuum it won't jump over to the other side of the manifold and all the way to the back before going to the other cylinders first and would cause other cylinders to fail first, more likely cyl 1 & 2. If you take a look at the stock manifold you can easily see why this is not the cause of number 8 failure. The pcv is only allowing a fine oil mist at most and only while the motor is running, so not very easy for it to only attack cyl 8 without getting to the others first.
true, all of my plugs had a little oil on them.

CPRsm

I just have a hard time believing that so many people load up their cars in single gear pulls for that long.

I can. Maybe not 15 seconds. But a lot of cars running 11-12 secs at a time. If it's load based or on heat, I can really see it. On a dyno it takes longer. Full run, going into high gear, extra wind resistance to up that load and heat even more. That time frame is probably signifigantly decreased. Especially a tune that add timing and power. Damn things are too smart for their own good lol

BlackFive.0

Established Member
does anyone have the writeup on the thermostat? i know it was on here but cannot find it. was that considered beneficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread