#8 explained a little better:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikegee1028

Established Member
There are individual cylinder fueling tables.

#8 also gets more oil if there is any in the intake from the PCV due to it being the very back cylinder. (accelerate hard and oil runs to the back of the intake)

Is your silverstreak project still running a gt500 pcv only, or are you running a catch can as well now?

CPRsm

There are individual cylinder fueling tables.

#8 also gets more oil if there is any in the intake from the PCV due to it being the very back cylinder. (accelerate hard and oil runs to the back of the intake)

I could see that. Momentary loss octane may not show on the plugs. A few drops here and there takes a toll.

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
So are we saying this is the single cause of #8 going out?

I'd say its the primary cause, with secondary causes:

Water jacket on one side only
Piston design strength/durability in GT piston

Adding heat, oil to the mix, or more aggressive timing from tuning will cause knock to happen more quickly and compound the issue.

Shaun@AED

So are we saying this is the single cause of #8 going out?

No, it is one of a few causes.

The 1st cause was the 2011 pressure plate bolts backing out. This issues caused the VAST majority of the #8's and here is why:

Dealers did not know they had to do a Neutral Profile relearn after replacing the clutch/flywheel assembly. (They should have paid more attention in their training!) Unless they updated their IDS the option to perform a Neutral Profile Relearn wasn't even available.

Fail to do a NPR after clutch replacement triggers a P0315. P03xx codes are Misfire detection codes. Misfire logic is (once again) to protect the cats. Actual spark misfires will allow un-burnt air/fuel to enter the cat and ignite causing damage to the unit. To combat this Ford logic will:
1. Disable the offending cylinder injector once a threshold his met. (triggers a P0301-P0308)
2. Run Stoich AT ALL TIMES until an NPR is performed to cut down on the amount of fuel entering the cats.

There are many other reasons why Ford would want to run Stoich at all times and not all are known. The above 2 are the most common reasons.

Also, .85 Lambda on E10 is 11.97 Air fuel.
Copperheads are programmed for E10, so Track App readout will read richer than a tailpipe sniffer on a Chassis dyno as the vast majority of dyno widebands are programmed for 14.64 stoich.

Shaun@AED

I could see that. Momentary loss octane may not show on the plugs. A few drops here and there takes a toll.

I've seen some Strategy's that pull 10% fuel from the #8 cylinder at high load. Other strategy's add fuel at the same point. Same year vehicle, same engine, just a different strategy from Ford.

CPRsm

Wtf!? If it was rich that would make sense. Same engine w that variance don't make NO SENSE ! lol

Last edited:

fake

Established Member
So we would be safe assuming Ford knows about this problem. Why doens't Ford come out with an ECU update to change fuel stratagies to keep the #8 from popping? Could it be by doing that, Ford is admitting there was a flaw in their programming and would have to refund all those busted 5.0's where the owner had their warranty denied? OR, is this the reason for the 13 5.0 piston re-design? Better to come out with something else than admit there was a problem with the original program/design?

Laloosh

Established Member
I just have a hard time believing that so many people load up their cars in single gear pulls for that long.

BLK93GT

Established Member
Give credit where it is due!

Anybody in the NY area Adam at Pops racing can hook you up with whatever you need! He is a top notch tuner and is the guy responsible for helping me take AED tuning to the 'next level'. In return for his support, I fully support Pops Racing.

Yep, Adam is a great guy!

BLK93GT

Established Member
Whereabouts in NY is he located? After I get my motor issue fixed I really want a good E85 tune in it, and I planned on working with you upon completion because of the amount of good reviews Ive seen. If he works with you, that would be awesome, b/c Id love to get it on the dyno and make sure the tune is 100%.

Also: What shortblock would you suggest? Thinking Boss shortblock, possibly a MMR rod/piston rebuild, etc. Are the billet oil pump gears and Boss upgrades to the head worth it in your opinion? Id like to rev the motor a bit higher than stock and it MAY see some spray a while down the road. Thanks man :beer:

He posts on NYM under the name The Tuner Guy. He is from Rochester and has been tuning for awhile just doesn't advertise like most.

Bud

Established Member
I just have a hard time believing that so many people load up their cars in single gear pulls for that long.

That's what I was wondering, appears people are having way more fun with their cars than I am. Curious if the condition shows up earlier depending on variables

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
So we would be safe assuming Ford knows about this problem. Why doens't Ford come out with an ECU update to change fuel stratagies to keep the #8 from popping? Could it be by doing that, Ford is admitting there was a flaw in their programming and would have to refund all those busted 5.0's where the owner had their warranty denied? OR, is this the reason for the 13 5.0 piston re-design? Better to come out with something else than admit there was a problem with the original program/design?

Its not fords fault you put a shitty tune in your car. Stock the car is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread